jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

No air?

1. ylime120 profile image61
    ylime120posted 5 years ago

What do you think would've happen without oxygen?

I'm watching a history channel thing explaining what happened in the universe's past and I was wondering this; would all living organisms at the beginning stages adapt to some other waste product but not evolve as quickly? Or would nothing grow and our planet would just be the same as all other planets?
    What do you think?

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

The only planet with anything growing in this solar system is the one with oxygen.

ylime120posted 5 years ago in reply to this

but would it be possible for another element to have been created that would sustain as much life as oxygen? You don't have to answer; some questions still remain without conclusions.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Scientists think there might be life on Io, one of Jupiter's moons. Might be oxygen also, but what of Carbon? All life is based on carbon. What if life could be based on other elements as well? Would we still recognize it as life?

I think that could be quite possible with other elements. The reason we are around breathing oxygen in the first place was to use the 'waste product' oxygen. Of course this was billions and billions of years ago so I really do think this could be a possibility, maybe even for other planets! Also, If there was never any oxygen we wouldn't know the difference! I'm not even completely sure we would be here. If we where do you think that the current stage of civilization would be attainable?

3. knolyourself profile image61

Anything is possible. This planet probably has oxygen because it has water. Where did the water come from? That is what no one seems to know.

So many questions! I would love to be the one in a big NASA office putting solutions to all of them! Of course I would have to finish of my high school years first.

4. knolyourself profile image61

Well the Italians have discovered massive of amounts of water in space in the form of ice crystals. If a planet floated through one of these ice crystal clouds
    it might obtain massive amounts of water. So then how would it be only earth that transited such a cloud and some moons of Jupiter?

working