jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

What makes philosophy philosophy?

1. 0
    beaddveposted 4 years ago

When I told people I studied philosophy, most people think I am cool and smart. Some people think I studied in religion or God.

In fact, studying philosophy is not all about God and religion.

So, what makes philosophy philosophy?

1. MarleneB profile image94
      MarleneBposted 4 years ago in reply to this

After I studied philosophy at the university, I walked away feeling as if philosophy was nothing more then someone's opinion about something - that a whole lot of people are intrigued about and happen to agree with - since that person found a way to put it all down on paper.

2. paradigmsearch profile image91
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Our attempts to theorize about things that we cannot figure out emperically.

3. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

One's thoughts become words become actions become habits become lifestyle becomes one's philosophy.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

Defining terms and trying to resolve questions.

1. ptosis profile image78
      ptosisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hello no, every "answer' brings even more questions. - It's never a "done deal" we've figured it all out, no need for anymore discussion. It's always an endless 'blah, blah'blah' that never resolves anything.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 4 years ago

The fact that it makes no sound when it falls in the forest...

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

lol lol lol

2. 0
      beaddveposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This could be the best answer! LOL

4. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

phi·los·o·phy   [fi-los-uh-fee]  Show IPA
    noun, plural phi·los·o·phies.
    the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.
    any of the three branches, namely natural philosophy, moral philosophy,  and metaphysical philosophy, that are accepted as composing this study.
    a system of philosophical  doctrine: the philosophy of Spinoza.
    the critical study of the basic principles and concepts of a particular branch of knowledge, especially with a view to improving or reconstituting them: the philosophy of science.
    a system of principles for guidance in practical affairs.

You know, there are literally thousands of books describing philosophy. There are a number of definitions about philosophy.

I do find it odd that anyone who learns or studies philosophy, then walks away confused and confounded, average among most. Many people study philosophy but never truly grasp it.

As for me, I never studied philosophy ever. I did learn about philosophy in a general format as schools teach it and not having a higher than high school accomplishment for education, additional research was needed. However, I didn't research philosophy, but did research world religions and world history(including some basic philosophy).

Truth is based on logic/rational thinking. Philosophy is just a description(word usage) to explain questions asked or needing(and not needing) to be answered.

1. 0

Apparently, everyone has their own philosophy. Philosophy can be idea, and it can be bull shit for picking up people in bars. It really depends upon the arguments.

1. Cagsil profile image83
        Cagsilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That should be philosophies. Each person has their own philosophies about how they handle every situation and/or circumstances. But, the unfortunate truth is that regardless of what they do, it will display as either good or bad, positive or negative. It not being recognized for what it is will most likely lead people to do things which they wouldn't normally do. Addressing which philosophies are dangerous, not probable, not likely or completely ridiculous, must be dealt with.

Good = Rational/Logic

Bad = Irrational/Illogical

The difference in knowing is solely based on the honesty of the individual.
        A pick up line isn't rational. People who have to use pick up lines are not sociable people. They're called players. Yes, it can be an idea, acting on it, is where honesty comes into play. When the philosophy is based on dishonesty, then it's not to be followed.
        Yes it does. But, that doesn't negate my original post. wink

1. 0

I agree with you that
          Good = Rational/Logic
          Bad = Irrational/Illogical

What makes a good argument to me is the logic. Soundness to me is quite important.

Many philosophers tries to throw many ideas and leads to confusion and unsound.