jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Education Via Games

1. Saira RoE profile image61
    Saira RoEposted 7 years ago

It is a known fact that it is always a better approach to make learning fun. Be it the kindergarden or a management student.

How can management students be taught via Games. In many management institutes a subject " Online Strategy Games " is being introduced and it is a huge success.

Students divide themselves in Groups and join any engrossing Real Time Strategy Game such as Realm Of Empires and test there leadership skills. Not only this, these games give an opportunity to learn how to react and take quick decisions in a war like condition.

Mostly it has been seen that under any circumstances Diplomacy wins however it depends on an individual. Without an effective team and co-ordination no one can be successful.

This game " Realm Of Empires " is essentially played in groups. They organize themselves in clans. Initially it seems all is well. Slowly, descrepancies started crawling within clan members just as in real organisations. Sometimes due to the intervention of another clam member differences were sorted.
    Then there were wars between groups to achieve the highest ranks and titles. Bribery, spying, diplomacy every aspect of life is put to test.It really has an impact on the learning process.
    Any management institute students or professionals want to try there skills , join Realm Of Empires , a very engrossing and a successful game for todays genre.

2. Scott Mandrake profile image60
    Scott Mandrakeposted 7 years ago

I have heard much evidence both for and against video game use in education.  From youth platforms such as leapfrog and the hundreds of knock-offs thereafter, to a Harvard study on the benefits of playing World Of Warcraft to develop leadership skills.

As a long time guild leader in the massively multiplayer online roleplaying game "World of Warcraft" I can personally confirm the benefits of leadership development by some games.
    Before I started playing MMORPGs I was to be considered a recluse. I was very adept at avoiding any social structure as I felt it would impede my blossoming genius smile
    However, in a period of downtime I became interested in World of Warcraft and began to play often.

It was not long before I was in large groups formed to execute a single mission. I was enthralled.  Here was a mix of people, with various ages, religions, professions and ethnic background, working together.  Sure, it wasn't always daisies and hand holding but there we were. 

While studying the group dynamics and various social protocols ( the few there are online ) I soon found myself at the head of a group, barking orders sometimes and requesting participation other times.  I was now a guild leader. I had 56 members and up to 25 online at any given night to tackle the next big boss. 

To sum up, I went from a social recluse to successfully leading groups of 25 plus, while managing the guild finances, and dealing with any number of personal issues of my guild mates.  So yes, video games can make better leaders though maybe its not for everyone.

3. Saira RoE profile image61
    Saira RoEposted 7 years ago

Scott, I liked your content. Why don't you along with your friends try yourself in the Realm Of Empires. Your suggestions and ideas would be a great asset to them.

There are 2 realms open. Preferably join Birth of Chaos as it is only a month old. Though you can join the other Realm " Unforgiven lands " but there in order to survive you might have to join an already established clan.

Thanks for sharing your views on Education and Games.

4. ocbill profile image76
    ocbillposted 7 years ago

That is encouraging that video games have validity in furthering your social progress.