jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Societal Perception of Extroverts and Introverts

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Even though introverts are being somewhat recognized as a legitimate personality type, there is still a subconscious animus against them.   Extroverts are usually more lively and engaging hence they are perceived and considered to be more intelligent and welcoming.   People who are extroverts are viewed as more popular and friendly.   These behaviors make others want to associate with them.    Furthermore, because they are avid risk takers and fearless, they are perceived as faster and highly dynamic personalities.  In essence, extroverted behavior is amply encouraged and rewarded in this society. 

Conversely, introverts are still denigrated in this society despite more acceptance.  Introverts are usually more cautious and assess situations before becoming involved in them.   Because of this, they are usually considered slow although they are not.    Also because introverts prefer to study situations before becoming involved, people are usually put off by them.   They are misunderstood by those who cannot fathom that the former are more comfortable in the world of their own thoughts and following their own individual drummer.   Introverts are not party people and usually prefer small intimate gatherings than large, noisy ones.    They are devotees of quiet time which many people cannot comprehend.   Because of their divergent personalities, they are often demonized as loners, losers, rejects, weirdos, and standoffish.   Introverts still have a long and arduous road to go in life.  Do you agree and/or disagree with this premise?

1. EmpressFelicity profile image83
      EmpressFelicityposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I do think introverts have a harder time than extroverts - they're not necessarily "demonised" but nowadays it seems to be extrovert qualities that attract praise and/or are considered healthy and normal.

There seems to be a trend in society (encouraged by mobile phones and online social networking) for people to lay their private lives open for everyone to see, and to tell people about every event in their life as it occurs, no matter how trivial. Since us introverts don't care for that stuff much, we get labelled as "aloof" or "snobbish". When in fact all we want is for people to respect our boundaries.

In my more mutinous moments, I have toyed with the idea of starting a civil rights movement for introverts, but I somehow think it would be self-defeating lol

gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Let's start the movement.   Right-on!   This postmodern culture tends to be quite a revealing culture.  It is nothing for people to reveal all even to total strangers.   You are correct regarding this!   Look at our celebrities-those who are the most revelatory are praised while those are more private are considered to have somewhat uninteresting lives.   Revelation is what sells.  Society indeed rewards the extroverted person and the more extroverted, the better it seems!  If a person elects to be private about his/her affairs, he/she is deemed to have nothing in his/her life- if so, he/she would be discussing and/or revealing it so to speak!

2. j-u-i-c-e profile image100
    j-u-i-c-eposted 4 years ago

Wait...! Extroverts are considered 'more intelligent'? That doesn't fit my stereotypes, sorry. tongue

And what's this 'introverts are being somewhat recognized as a legitimate personality type' business? Introverts are one end of the social spectrum, that's all. That's like saying 'short people are being somewhat recognized as a legitimate body type'. Might as well blame shorties for not being 'out-growing'. lol

It amuses me to think that extroverts assume that there is something wrong with introverts, but nothing wrong with themselves. As if a co-dependent need for attention and approval is somehow superior to being aloof and distant.

And personally, I don't consider extroverts to be more interesting than introverts, so that's just an extroverted bias. Extroverts are about as interesting to me as potato salad. I'd rather have one good conversation with an introvert every year than 365 pointless conversations about which celebrities cheated on their spouse-of-the-month and the best place to go on a Thursday night. Might as well just commit intellectual suicide right now. hmm

It doesn't matter how many people you talk to, and how many things you say. What matters is who you talk to, and whether or not that conversation was important.

gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

+++++++++ a multillion times!

3. Wesley Meacham profile image92
    Wesley Meachamposted 4 years ago

This is a vast oversimplification. You should view introversion and extroversion more in terms of a continuous spectrum of possibilities rather than an either or scenario. Everyone is a little bit one way or the other. We each just fall somewhere differently on that spectrum. Most of us fall somewhere near the middle.  People who are at one extreme end or the other are very rare. And I guarantee you if you ever met someone who fell on the extreme end of the extroverts side of the spectrum you would not say that they fit into this or any society.

I'm usually considered to be a bit introverted. There are sometimes exceptions depending on my mood but I usually prefer a Clean Well-lighted Place to a bouncing nightclub.