jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

online writing classes

1. Cari Jean profile image92
    Cari Jeanposted 4 years ago

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever taken an online writing course. I'm looking at signing up for one but I don't want to pay like over $200 if it is not going to be worth it. I'm looking for any suggestions on sites that offer good online writing classes that are worth the money.

1. brakel2 profile image86
      brakel2posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I took seven writing classes through ED2go.com. I took it through a vo=tech school, and it was $79 per course. I think it is available online through many schools. You can take it directly from the site, but it is a little more expensive. I cannot rave enough about the courses. One was a grammar course that helped me so much. You will never regret taking one of their courses. One course, taught by a noted romance author, was on descriptive settings. She taught us how to describe characters and settings so they would be vivid to the readers. You might check into it. Good luck.

2. 0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 4 years ago

You'll need to figure out what your really want out of an online class.  Paying over $200 for an online class is a lot of money.  It would be different if the class was highly recommended or if you actually knew the instructor.  Someone who had taken an online class recommended the same class to me.  She knew I needed some way to get started with my writing.  My class cost about $91 (two classes a week for about six weeks).  I ended taking four classes from two instructors so that I would keep writing.  Which, I did.  I don't know if they still teach, but I found them through my local community college district at the time.  They also find their students through organizations that sponsor all types of classes for people of all ages.  You can participate or just do the work.  Everyone remains a stranger, and it was suggested that you don't meet or socialize outside of class.  If you like dealing with real people, online is not for you.

3. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

First you need to decide what type of writing you wish to study. Some courses focus more on short stories, others on magazine articles, writing for children, theatre and television scripts, etc, etc.

Then look at what is available. Avoid those courses which promise you enormous earnings once you finish. They are likely to be run by charlatans, who will probably keep bugging you to submit work for anthologies, which will then be offered to you for purchase at enormous prices.

I believe Writers' Bureau is one such example.

Here in the UK, we have something called the Open College of the Arts. Their creative writing course uses published authors as tutors and you can see a list of what they have published.

You should also examine your motives for enrolling on such a course. Do you need the taught element for the discipline, the individual feedback, the final qualification/certificate it will provide, or what? Would an informal arrangement, where you join a group where you all criticise each other's writing fill you need?

4. Cari Jean profile image92
    Cari Jeanposted 4 years ago

Thanks for your input. I was thinking of taking a course to sharpen my grammar skills and I did find one through Writer's Digest but it was $250 and I don't think I want to spend that much. brakel2 - I will look into ED2go.com

Thanks again!