How high inflation rate affects on business and economy
In simple language, inflation means rising prices and it shows the increase in cost of living. In economics, inflation is explained as rise in the general level of prices of goods and services in an economy over a period of time. With the rise in price levels a unit of currency will buy fewer goods and services. As a result, the purchasing power of money will be reduced with inflation. In other words the real value of money will be lost day by day along with inflation. Inflation is measured by the Rate of Inflation or Inflation Rate which is the percentage change in a general price index calculated as an annualized figure.
A low inflation rate is beneficial to a country and zero or negative inflation is considered as bad. Also, a high inflation is harmful to an economy and it affects an economy in many ways.
- High inflation distorts consumer behavior. Because of the fear of price increases, people tend to purchase their requirements in advance as much as possible. This can destabilize markets creating unnecessary shortages.
- High inflation redistributes the income of people. The fixed income earners and those lacking bargaining power will become relatively worse off as their purchasing power falls.
- Trade unions may demand for higher wages at times of high inflation. If the claims are accepted by the employers, it may give rise to a wage-price spiral which may aggravate the inflation problem.
- During a high inflation period, wide fluctuations in the inflation rate make it difficult for business organizations to predict the future and accurately calculate prices and returns from investments. Therefore, it can undermine business confidence.
- When inflation in a country is more than that in a competitive country, the exports from former country will be less attractive compared to the other country. This means there will be less sales for that country’s goods both at home and abroad and that will create a larger trade deficit. At the same time, high inflation in a country weakens its competitive position in the international market.
Other related Hubs
of the business manager in protecting environment
Protecting the environment is considered nowadays as a key issue affecting everyone. Business organizations are pressurized to ensure that the environment suffers minimum damage due to their processes, products and services.
Authorities Objectives and main activities
Regulatory bodies are established in countries according to the policy of the government with different types of authorities. Regulatory rules are designed to meet government objectives.
is a Search Engine and how does it work
A Search Engine is a web site designed to search for information on the World Wide Web. What happens when someone enters a query into a search engine? The Search Engine then examines its index and displays a list of best-matching web pages.
Rate A major economic force affecting financial plans
Rate of interest is the price of money which is lent or borrowed. It is always expressed as a percentage of the sum lent or borrowed. It is generally calculated on an annual basis.
of high inflation
Inflation means rising prices and it shows the increase in cost of living. In economics, inflation is explained as rise in the general level of prices of goods and services in an economy over a period of time.
profit for the not-for-profit organizations
Not-for-profit entities do not expect profits. They are established not for profits but to achieve different objectives of the society. But, can these organizations operate without identifying and satisfying the needs?
More by this Author
What is an Induction Cooker? Other cookers use a heat transfer mechanism to heat the cookware. In an induction cooker, heat is not transferred to the cookware but heat is generated in the cookware itself using a process...
Both public sector and private sector organizations have objectives and missions. But depending on the type of organization, there are differences between the public and private sectors of a country.
It is very important to manage working capital efficiently. This is important from the point of view of both liquidity and profitability. Even the most profitable business can quickly go under if it does not have...