How to help a procrastinator help overcome procrastination
Who is a procrastinator?
A procrastinator is a person who has a type of changeable avoidance behavior which is characterized by delaying of tasks or actions to a later time. It is usually seen by psychologists. A person who avoids an unpleasant work or task at school, workplace, college, or home is also known as a procrastinator. Don't worry if you have these type of symptoms, as you are not alone in this world. Many people have these type of signs from time-to-time, but for some people, procrastination is chronic which causes an elevated level of anxiety and stress.
There is always some hope, as procrastination is a changeable behavior as I have suggested previously that can be easily changed. Right now is a good time to start controlling your life and complete the work that needs to be done.
How to kill procrastination with emotional freedom techniques
Here is a list of quick actions for overcoming procrastination
- 1. Identify your behaviors and thoughts that always keep you far from doing necessary work and plan according how to control these behaviors and thoughts.
- 2. Go ahead and make a small list of every necessary work you have to do.
- 3. Break up very complex tasks into manageable tasks.
- 4. Set realistic standards and goals which are attainable.
- 5. Create realistic timeframes to prioritize completing tasks.
- 6. Make your work meaningful and find pleasure and value in completing it.
- 7. Remove the tasks from your list which you do not have any intention of doing.
- 8. Always remember to balance recreation, relaxation, and work time.
Procrastination sometimes occurs when the stress level is high
Relaxation techniques used in controlling or overcoming procrastination
Here is a list of some simple relaxation techniques used in controlling or overcoming procrastination and if you feel your stress level is elevated:
- 1. Diaphragmatic Breathing: Diaphragmatic breathing involves teaching people to expand-their diaphragm allowing some room for lungs to expand up when they inhale and then relax diaphragm when they exhale.
- 2. Autogenic Training: The purpose of autogenic training is to bring about a certain condition or feeling by visualizing and repeating actions of phrases and words. There are around six basic objectives related to awareness of calm‑breathing, feelings of warmth and heaviness in the extremities, warmth in belly, regular pulse frequency, and cool forehead.
- 3. Progressive Muscle Relaxation: Progressive Muscle Relaxation is a process which trains people to recognize some feelings of tense muscles by simply contracting a particular muscle and relaxing that muscle. This process is a very useful and especially promotes muscle relaxation, elimination of tension, and calmness.
- 4. Meditation: Meditation involves focusing attention towards an individual's pulse, calming or soothing symbol or word and breathing. This helps with relaxation, understanding of mind, and making our thoughts negative to positive.
- 5. Guided Imagery: Guided Imagery involves assisting people to focus on some mental scenes or images to escape stressful thoughts and relax the mind.
- 6. You can also do Yoga which is very popular nowadays and is a great relaxation tool to get rid of tension, stress, and proscrastination.
How to break the Procrastination habit?
It is dramatic but it works (not always...hehe). You all should try.
Take a look up to the sky and say: "Why me, my Lord?" (but you must feel the anger of being punished by divine forces)
After that, take a deep breath and say: "I accept my destiny". The breath and the phrase will bring consolation to your mind and then you will find strength to do the impossible like go to bed, go take a bath, go to study...
Usually I do this when I have to clean the house !!!!
More by this Author
F-35 Lightening from USA, UK, Norway, Australia LCA Tejas from India JAS Gripen from Sweden F-16 Falcon from USA Below are a few characteristics and pros and cons of the above-mentioned aircraft. This is not a...
Presented here is a list of 11 costliest fighters jets on earth with pictures and brief history of course.....
Seven Indian bikes in the 50k to 70k range. This list is old but is still useful for many.