Stop Plastic Pollution - Replacing Shopping Bags - Use Cloth Instead
Help Save Marine Life - Use Canvas Bags
...And Man Created The Plastic Bag
"And Man created the plastic bag and the tin and aluminum can and the cellophane wrapper and the paper plate, and this was good because Man could then take his automobile and buy all his food in one place and He could save that which was good to eat in the refrigerator and throw away that which had no further use.
And soon the earth was covered with plastic bags and aluminum cans and paper plates and disposable bottles and there was nowhere to sit down or walk, and Man shook his head and cried: Look at this Godawful mess" ~ Arch Butchwald 1970
Plastic Bags Kill - Use Canvas Bags
Every day grocery stores and other businesses use over a billion plastic bags. These bags do not bio degrade, they photo degrade (breaking down into smaller and smaller toxic bits) contaminating the soil and waterways. This kills animals when they are ingested.
Using Canvas Tote Bags to Stop Plastic Pollution is the responsibility of each one of us. We must be an example to our children and we must teach them about pollution beginning at a young age.
Plastic bags kill hundreds of thousands of whales, sea turtles and other marine mammals each year. Bags that are discarded end up being eaten as they are mistaken for food by marine mammals as well as land animals.
By using canvas bags instead of plastic, we can make a positive impact on the environment. We can help save our planet by shopping with Canvas bags instead of plastic.
Love the bottle pockets on these shopping bags.
Three Ways to Collect Earth-Safe Tote Bags
Reusable bags come in every size, shape, material, and color imaginable. Some compress down into an easy size to carry in your purse. Many may be used for gift bags as well as to shop with.
- Tote bags are inexpensive and can be found at most thrift stores for under a dollar. There are also several online retailers that specialize in environmentally friendly shopping bags. Most super markets carry them and some chain stores even give you a small discount at the check out counter if you use their brand of bags.
- Shop your local garage sales for tote bags, canvas bags, gift bags, nylon bags, carrier bags and even promotional bags. Almost any eco friendly bag can be turned into a reusable bag for shopping.
- Check your closet for any type of “handle bag” that could be used for shopping. You can also make your own tote bag from grain sacks.
Be sure you tell the cashier that you've brought your own reusable bag before they begin to ring up your items. Be sure to wash your recycled bags every now and then, using cold water to save on your monthly utility bill.
You may also want to join an environmental program and do your part to help correct environment pollution. Teach your children about wildlife, animals that are endangered, and what we can do to protect them.
A great family event is Whale Watching. It is both fun and educational and most of the time, it is free. We can all be a good role model for children and others and help save marine life as we use canvas bags.
To Stop Junk Mail
Stop up to 75% of all junk mail by writing to:
Mail Preference Service, Direct Marketing Association
P. O. Box 3861
New York, NY
Eight Ways To Help Save Our Planet
Each one of us can help save our planet by making a decision to be responsible for our actions. Let's look at different ways we can commit to making a difference:
- Recycle, recycle and recycle.
- Stop junk mail. The amount of junk mail we get in just one day can produce enough energy to heat a quarter-of-a-million homes.
- Purchase reusable, rechargeable and refillable products.
- Reuse packaging materials for your own mailing needs. This will add up to a nice little savings in a years time.
- Purchase recycled products. Many products are also packaged in recycled paper, plastic and such.
- Buy tooth brushes labeled 'recyclable.' Most come with a prepaid mailer. When your tooth brush shows signs of wear, simply slide it into the mailer and place it in your mailbox or take to the post office.
- Purchase clothing, shoes, handbags, furniture, appliances from thrift shops or preworn boutiques.
- Avoid using disposable products. Just imagine - disposal baby diapers number 18 billion every year. This is enough to reach to the moon and back seven times!
What else can we do to help planet earth? Share your ideas in the comment section below.
Surprising Facts About Plastic
- Plastic never decomposes. Just about every piece of plastic ever made is still around today. I takes nearly 1000 years to begin composting.
- Americans generate more than 10.5 million tons of plastic waste a year but recycle only 1 or 2 % of it.
- Plastic buried deep in landfills can leach harmful chemicals that spread into groundwater.
- The world’s annual consumption of plastic has increased from around 5 million tons in the 50′s to nearly 100 million tons today.
- Next year, more than 300 million tons will be produced worldwide.
- Chemicals added to plastics are absorbed by human bodies. Some of these compounds have been found to alter hormones or have other potential human health effects.
- Plastic bags and other plastic garbage thrown into the ocean kill as many as 1 million sea animals each year.
- 24 million gallons of oil are needed to produce a billion plastic bottles.
- The federal standards for tap water are higher than those for bottled water.
We each have a responsibility to stop the use of plastic bags as well as other plastic products. Teach your family how to recycle and how to replace plastic with environmentally safe products. Help Mother Nature - Love Our Planet.
Mother Earth was the first physician and healer. Some day, everyone will realize that she alone owns the true pharmacy in medicine, for all drugs are made from Her garden, or a chemical substitute that replicates the effects and benefits Her plants.
Source: Indian Herbology of North America, Pages: (Kim Hovey)
We also raise the energy in the world by making environmentally sound and humanitarian purchases. Your purchases really do count toward helping Mother Earth and all of her inhabitants. And, those eco friendly purchases will help manifest your harmonious environment. Know that creating a harmonious space is easy when you rely on your intuition for guidance and follow the basic guidelines in this book. Remember that good design happens when it feels and looks good to you. Decorating your home or office space is like broadening the parameters of your body—it is an extension of your material body! Follow your truth and you follow your heart. Follow your heart and there are no wrong choices.
Norma Lehmeier Hartie
How Often Do You Use Plastic Shopping BagsSee results without voting
Harmonious Environment Beautify, Detoxify, and Energize Your Life,Your Home and Your Planet page 234
© 2010 Audrey Hunt
More by this Author
Sound is a powerful energy source which impact us in many different ways. Every sound is a vibration made of waves oscillating at a particular frequency. Learn how we produce sound by speaking and singing.
He revolutionized the word "showman" as he designed both stage and music to house the most beautiful girls he could find. The great Lucill Ball was one of those girls.
I hate my voice! If you're one of the many people who feel this way, you've come to the right place because you're about to learn why you hate your voice and how to fix it.