Design Students Think Outside the Box
Visiting several Design schools a year and having the opportunity to listen to students’ presentations and look at their portfolios I decided to write few reasons to always try your best to think “outside the box”.
Design students, since few years, seem to be locked into a cultural cage that is forcing them to be too wise when designing their projects; recently I see also projects that look more like real production restyling exercises rather than innovative interpretations.
I see also too many “team projects” with the result that after watching few portfolios I do not know who is responsible for what since they look all alike with the same drawings, renderings and model photos!
The question is: What the hell is going on in Design schools?
So here my list of reasons to think out of the box:
- Break the rules and feel free to discover a new world
- Be creative because in school you will have the time to do it, at work a lot less
- Be curious because if you are not means you are in the wrong place
- Don’t be afraid to stand up for your reasons, do not be a sheep
- Use your school facility, don’t be used by it
- If you are part of a student project team always do your own drawings and renderings, too. It is for you
- Think every day that your producing for your final portfolio, it is for your quality
- Don’t put your restyling exercise in your portfolio, it will kill you
- Be professional because if you are in school you will be at work, too
A message to schools' teachers
Teachers should be very demanding but also thinkers outside the box simply because this is a battle to play and win together: students & teachers!
This is one way to learn from our cultural background to project school & students in e new innovative design philosophy. All with strength and courage, students must feel part of a challenging environment; they are there to learn how to be more creative with strong quality skills and good personalities.
Do it! (At least try…)
In school you have the time period to express yourself and search for something new not yet existing on earth. Make the effort to go out of your "mental box" to explore outside the box!
Be creative, open, search for the alternative, follow your instinct.
Just do it!
More by this Author
In car design education what is better? Universities or design colleges? Discover differences and opportunities.
Luciano Bove gives some tips and suggestions to choose the right car design school.
How car designers work in a real design studio. The team work importance and all new technologies used to perform well.