Unbelievable Facts About The Universe! (Miscellaneous)
- Antares is about 420 million kms in diameter, which is 300 times the width of the sun.
- The gravitational field inside a black hole is so strong that it can swallow anything in the universe, even a passing star and its light. If an objest weighing 1 kg is brought to within 6 m of a black hole, it would weigh a million million tonnes.
- The surface of the moon is pitted with craters of all sizes upto 250 km in diameter. These have been created by meteorites smashing into the surface long ago.
- The largest Volcano in the solar system is on Mars Olympus Moons, 600 km wide and 24,000 m high, is nearly three times higher than Mt. Everest.
- Quassars are stupendous power houses. They give out as much energy as hundreds of galaxies from a volume of space only a light year across.
- Halley's comet is seen after every 76 years in the sky. It was last seen in the year 1986.
- The sun is a 5 billion years old star and is supposed to remain exist for another 5 billion years.
- Jupiter planet is mostly made of gases.
- Unlike other planets in the solar system, Venus spins not from west to east, but from east to west.
- A new and tiny moon of jupiter revolves around the planet in just over 7 hours - making it the fastest moon in the solar system.
- More than 75 million meteors enter the earth's atmosphere every day, but they disintegrate before hitting the ground.
- Mars is called the Red planet because it's surface is red.
- Pluto is the smallest and coldest planet among all ten planets.
- Sirus star is much brighter than the sun. In fact, no star is as bright as sirus.
- A person of 60 kgs weight barely will weigh 10 kg on moon, but 1,680 kg on the sun.
More by this Author
Norway is called the land of midnight sun because sun does not set from may till the fall of july. There are 60,000 lakes in Finland and it is known as the "Land of Lakes". Sudan in Africa is surrounded by...
It is possible to see a rainbow as a complete circle from an aeroplane. A litre of vinegar is heavier in winter than in summer. A barrel of juice or wine would take about a year or two to ferment naturally into...
These are the world's most dangerous, deadly snakes for humans: Find out about the habits of each snake, where they live, and how to avoid them.