10 More Best and Worst Karaoke Songs to Sing
Welcome to the 10 Best and Worst Karaoke Songs Part 2!! I've received so many song suggestions in comments on my first list that I got the idea to write a second best and worst list, using only the songs suggested by people in comments. There were an insane lot of good ones, so it was hard for me to pick 10 worst. But it must be done! Thank you all who have commented...I couldn't have written this without you!
Without further ado, here are 10 MORE best & worst karaoke songs to sing:
1) Aladdin - A Whole New World: I'm a sucker for Disney songs/movies, so if you have the balls to get up there and sing Aladdin, you're gonna get a whole lot of cheering coming from me. Who doesn't love this song? Honestly!
I recommend 2 people to sing this song, unless of course you're THIS GUY.
2) KT Tunstall: Amazing singer, amazing songs. KT Tunstall songs are a breath of fresh air to hear during karaoke. Pick one, any one. They're all excellent.
3) Rush - Limelight: YES. I downloaded Rush's greatest hits recently, and I forgot how uber awesome Rush is. Everyone should karaoke this song. EVERYONE.
4) Cher - Turn Back Time: Hilarious. This suggestion literally made me laugh out loud. I would LOVE to see somebody get up and sing this song. In fact, I may learn the words so my friends and I can get up there and do it. Awesome suggestion.
5) The Proclaimers - 500 Miles: This is a great song. Every time I hear it, I remember how great of a song it is. Upbeat, simple lyrics, this is a perfect karaoke song. Especially for the commenter with the legit Scottish accent, who gets 15 bonus points.
Here, you can start practicing now.
6) Tom Jones - Delilah: Excellent bar song, great for any and every occasion. While I favor "Lucille" over "Delilah," both would be awesome for karaoke bars. This would be the song to sing at a super crowded karaoke bar to see if you can get everyone to sing the obscenity-filled version of this song (those who have heard it know what I mean).
7) The Devil Went Down to Georgia: Very creative song choice, one that most people know (at least partially), and fun to sing along to. I think karaoke crowds would appreciate this one.
8) Barenaked Ladies - One Week: If you can keep up with the lyrics to this song, karaoke crowds will love you. I used to know all the words, so it made me smile to see it suggested in the comments. While I don't think I've ever seen somebody do it, this one has to be a crowd pleaser.
9) Montell Jordan - This is How We Do It: This was another one that literally made me laugh out loud. I would applaud anyone who got up and sang Montell Jordan. This is a good contender for my original category of The songs everybody knows but forgot about.
10) Alanis Morissette - You Outta Know: Another more creative song choice for the ladies. The female stand-by karaoke choice is usually No Doubt, but Alanis is a fun alternative. I hardly ever see Alanis done, and I think her songs should be sung more often. This may be a new favorite of mine!
-Jailhouse Rock/Runaround Sue/Rockin Robin (great songs for old dudes)
-Run DMC & Aerosmith - Walk This Way
-Meatloaf (how can you NOT love Meatloaf?)
Please allow yourself to be entertained by this video before moving on to the worst songs.
1) Radiohead - Creep: Just personal opinion, and I'm probably going to get tons of hatorade comments for this, but I hate Radiohead and I hate this song. Not only is it morbidly depressing, but it's long and slow and every chorus makes me want to stab my eyeballs out. This song violates not one but TWO of my original worst categories: No more slow songs AND No more sad songs. Please stop karaoke-ing this song. Please?
2) REM - Everybody Hurts: I wanted to include "Losing My Religion" in this one too, but I just can't. "Losing My Religion" is so bomb that I'd probably love it if somebody got up there and sang it, even though it's semi-depressing and slow (NO MORE SLOW SONGS...exception: "Losing My Religion"). But "Everybody Hurts" really should have been included in my original worst category of No More Slow Songs. That's a huuuge offender.
3) Celine Dion - It's All Coming Back to Me Now: I'm sorry, it's not that this is a bad song. I just can't take you seriously as a human being if you go up and sing a Celine Dion song. As an aside, "My Heart Will Go On" is THE BEST revenge song if the crowd is annoying or if you want to piss people off (but good luck convincing the karaoke DJ that you should sing it). I sang it once at a karaoke place where you get your own room cause the employees were rude to us. BOOYAH.
4) Sting - Desert Rose (and other songs w/ non-English sections): As was pointed out by the commenter, don't sing songs that have sections not in English unless you speak said other language. This reminds me of trying to sing "La Bamba" on Guitar Hero. I gave up on the Spanish lyrics and turned it into "La Panda," a song I made up about pandas in the zoo that happens to sound just like "La Bamba".
5) Rammstein: Why? Honestly, why? I've only seen that one song of theirs karaoke'd once, and I do not understand why you would put Rammstein in. The fact that this band was popular in the US for 5 seconds was baffling. Don't make us remember that time.
6) Robbie Williams - Angels: Again, not that it's a bad song. This was severely overplayed on the radio--I don't want to hear it as a karaoke song.
7) Aqua - Barbie Girl: I did include this in my original article, but I think it needs more attention. Simply because this HAS to be one of the worst songs ever recorded. If you want to be obnoxious, this is THE song to pick. In fact, I think Barbie Girl is MORE annoying than "Steal My Sunshine." Since I've sung the latter, I may have to try out "Barbie Girl" to see if I can get even more groans from the audience. [I apologize in advance to the world if I actually end up doing this.]
Don't do it!!!!
8) Pretty Woman: Not really a "worst," but I needed songs to fill up the list. Old dudes love this song, so it's sung very often by old dudes. Most renditions of this song I've heard have been mediocre, so I've concluded that most old dudes can't really sing this song well. The only man I love hearing Pretty Woman from is Phil Shane.
9) Linkin Park: Unless you can sing all raspy-like, don't try. Linkin Park is on the worst list because their songs could sound terribly awful if you don't know how to sing them. You may sing Linkin Park songs only if someone has said to you "HOMG you sing just like Chester!!!"
10) Bob Seger - Sunspot Baby: I'd never even heard of this song, so I had to YouTube it. As soon as it started, it made the worst list. Geez, Bob Seger can't even sing this song! I definitely do not want to hear anyone sing this for karaoke.
Worst runner-up: Backstreet Boys. Only because I can't stand their music. I've never seen anyone karaoke a Backstreet Boys song, and I'd like to keep it that way.
You may now depart to the comment section and suggest MORE best and worst karaoke songs so I can write another installment. Thank you.
More by this Author
So you're looking for some good karaoke in Orange County. After doing a quick search, I found that there were no good sites that had detailed reviews of karaoke places around the OC. For shame! Since these places tend...
I've logged a lot of concert time. After seeing hundreds of bands, mostly at general admission shows (seats are for wimps), you learn a thing or two. I've done it all: backstage, onstage, met bands, crowd surfed,...
I'll admit it. It's embarrassing, but my friends and I are karaoke junkies. It wasn't always this way. We would karaoke every now and then, for something different to do. Now, we crave it. We make lists of songs to sing...