100 Incredible Films (Volume 6 ~ #s 50-41)
# 50 ~~~ L.A. Confidential (1997)
Thinking about this movie just makes ya smile. I'm not sure if it's the smack-downs issued by Russell Crowe, the whispers of Danny DeVito or the eyes of Kim Basinger but it's there. A gleam in your eye in knowing you just enjoyed quality entertainment. It has a pleasant and authentic retro-California copper caper feel to it that just feels honorable. Fans of this must see Denzel in the movie at #87 Devil in a Blue Dress.
# 49 ~~~ Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samarai (1999)
What an incredible film!
Jim Jarmusch has directed some real head-scratchers through the years and he has also been brilliant at times, but it's a mixed bag. This is the one piece of genius that has flown under the radar for far too long. I love this film and will watch it over and over for years to come I am sure. I show it to people and they flip the hell out everytime. You will too...even if this is the first samarai movie you've ever seen.
# 48 ~~~ Prelude To A Kiss (1992)
There really aren't a whole lot of romantic films that I can say I wholeheartedly enjoy. The Notebook was pretty good and then there's this little ditty. Both of which have HORRIBLE romance novel type covers on the boxes. This one is based on a great play that I read in college. This movie asks us to follow a fairytale romance that turns freakey-friday right there at the wedding reception. Can he still love her if she's old and toothless and ... a man?
# 47 ~~~ Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Graduation Speech from Hell
Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece is hardly a secret but I do think that with all the movies we have about war, this one is pretty honest and refreshing by comparison. Private Joker (Matthew Modine and Vincent D'Onofrio) & Private Pyle are going through Marine boot camp with a drill sargeant that will never ever be forgotten. If you're wondering why R. Lee Ermey is better than both Christopher Walken and Lou Gossett Jr who both were great as drill sargeants, the reason is because is he an authentic Gunnery Sargeant Marine of 11 years service. Ain't nothing like the real thing baby.
# 46 ~~~ Notes On A Scandal (2006)
Tagline: One Woman's Mistake is Another's Opportunity.
That's the meat of it anyway. Not since The Shawshank Redemption have we heard such great narration. Judi Dench gives a poetically twisted performance here and now we understand why she is so respected an actress. She is as coldblooded as Keyser Soze and yet doesn't kill a flea. Secrets and power of the information in them is fun again! Bravo!
- 100 Greatest Movies of the 2000s so far..
If you want a peek at what could be coming in the future, check these three lists out!
- 100 Greatest Movies - 90s
Or this one, back when movies were great! Oh the nineties, won't you please come back soon!
- 100 Greatest Movies - 80s
Okay, now this is pure nostalgia goodness! The one on the 70s is being finalized as we speak.
- 300 Greatest Actors on Earth, Period
Now, I made this list a few months ago before the untimely deaths of Brad Renfro and Heath Ledger. It was supposed to be only for living working actors, however...
- 300 Greatest Actresses on Earth, Period.
Now with Pictures too.
# 45 ~~~ Drugstore Cowboy (1989)
This movie is so intense and so much fun that it's hard to believe that we are just watching a bunch of junkies. Matt Dillon is one of those guys that we should really be thankful for because when he takes the leap into a character, he goes for it in every sense. He is magnetic again, re-capturing that thing he had in the The Outsiders. What's it called? Oh yeah, charisma. If you haven't seen it, you run the risk of jinxing your whole crew. "Hat on the Bed" is one of the all-time great meltdowns on screen and something you don't want to happen to you. Damn, rollergirl! :)
# 44 ~~~ Stranger Than Fiction (2006)
If you don't like Will Ferrell as a comedic actor than try him in drama because he is a master at both. He is going to be around for a very long time and we are all very lucky to have him. Dustin Hoffman, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Emma Thompson and Queen Latifah supporting. This crazy script is reminiscent Charlie Kaufman's Adaptation at times, but no matter, it makes me feel happy and sad and happy again. And this is weeks later...
# 43 ~~~ Fresh (1994)
Ever heard of Lawrence Bender? He was the producer of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction and he is also the producer of Boaz Yakin's Fresh. A movie so great that it had to be ignored by the mainstream because it is too real. A young delivery boy takes down his opponents using the lessons he learned from playing chess with his father. Checkmate people.
# 42 ~~~ Slacker (1991)
Richard Linklater's brilliant and plotless debut is still exhilarating. I have acquired The Criterion Collection version which has some great insights, interviews, script excerpts, etc. If you don't already know, the worst thing anyone has ever said about this film is that the title unwittingly fed the annoying stereotype of Generation X as lazy. Everything else about it is refreshing, authentic original filmmaking straight out of Austin, Texas.
- 100 Greatest Movie Soundtrack Songs
First of all, this list was a labor of love. I do not google anything when I make these lists. I prefer to rely on my own personal experiences and that way, if I...
- 100 Funniest Movies (Part 1 ~ # 100-96)
This list is NOT designed to tell you the Best Films that are also technically comedies like The Fisher King. It is supposed to be celebrating the funniest (READ: Laugh Out Loud) movies.
- The Addiction ~ Why I Can't I Get My Fix?
Why can't I rent my all-time favorite horror movie from Netflix? Every OTHER movie by Abel Ferrara can be rented so why not this one? If anyone can help me, it would be apreciated.
- Pulp Fiction vs. Forrest Gump
# 41 ~~~ Lost in Translation (2003)
Completely original concept executed with a stylish sense of humor as well. What more can you ask for? Scarlett's delicious ass is the first thing we see and Bill Murray is perfect in every way possible. He is his self-loathing best as an overage actor who's life is a total sham. Karaoke anyone? So what exactly does he say to her at the end? That's between them and I like it that way. A special bond between a man and a woman, old and young and they find each other on the other side of the earth.
Movie Posters Are Just So Cool!
The List So Far...
100) Romeo Is Bleeding (1993 - Gary Oldman, Lena Olin)
99) Victory (1981 - Sylvester Stallone, Michael Caine)
98) Bad Boys (1983 - Sean Penn, Esai Morales)
97) Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993 - Ben Kingsley, Laurence Fishburne)
96) The Last House On The Left (1972 - Wes Craven's Debut)
95) Citizen Ruth (1996 - Laura Dern, Swoozie Kurtz)
94) This Boy's Life (1993 - Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert DeNiro, Ellen Barkin)
93) Three Kings (1999 - George Clooney, Mark Walhberg, Ice Cube, Spike Jonze)
92) Sex, Lies and Videotape (1989 - James Spader, Andie MacDowell)
91) Kalifornia (1993 - Brad Pitt, Juliette Lewis, David Duchovny)
90) 2 Days in the Valley (1996 - Charlize Theron, Eric Stoltz, Danny Aiello, Glenne Headley)
89) Lean On Me (1989 - Morgan Freeman, Robert Guillaume)
88) Hard Eight (1996 - Philip Baker Hall, John C. Reilly, Gwyneth Paltrow)
87) Devil in a Blue Dress (1995 - Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle, Jennifer Beals)
86) V for Vendetta (2005 - Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving)
85) Freeway (1996 - Reese Witherspoon, Keifer Sutherland, Brittany Murphy)
84) Cop Land (1997 - Sylvester Stallone, Robert DeNiro, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta)
83) Red Dawn (1984 - Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell, Charlie Sheen)
82) The Warriors (1979 - Street Gang Classic by Walter Hill)
81) Run Lola Run (1998 - Franka Potente, Moritz Bleibtreu)
80) The United States of Leland (2003 - Ryan Gosling, Don Cheadle)
79) Bound (1996 - Gina Gershon, Jennifer Tilly, Joe Pantoliano)
78) American Psycho (2000 - Christian Bale, Jared Leto)
77) The Basketball Diaries (1995 - Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Wahlberg, Lorraine Bracco)
76) Alpha Dog (2006 - Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster, Justin Timberlake, Bruce Willis)
75) Empire of the Sun (1987 - Christian Bale, John Malkovich, Joe Pantoliano)
74) My Bodyguard (1980 - Chris Makepeace, Adam Baldwin,Matt Dillon,Martin Mull,Ruth Gordon)
73) To Die For (1995 - Nicole Kidman, Matt Dillon, Joaquin Phoenix, Casey Affleck)
72) Hustle & Flow (2005 - Terrance Howard, Taraji P. Henson, DJ Qualls)
71) Logan's Run (1976 - Michael York, Jenny Agutter)
70) Children of Men (2006 - Clive Owen, Julianne Moore, Michael Caine)
69) Barfly (1987 - Mickey Rourke, Faye Dunaway, Frank Stallone)
68) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004 - Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood)
67) The Outsiders (1983 - Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio, C. Thomas Howell, Rob Love, Emilio Estevez, Patrick Swayze, Diane Lane)
66) Cube (1997 - David Hewlett, Andrew Miller)
65) The Conversation (1974 - Gene Hackman, John Cazale)
64) The Secret of NIMH (1982 - Animated feat. Dom DeLouise)
63) In The Name of the Father (1993 - Daniel Day-Louis, Emma Thompson, Pete Postlethwaite, Tom Wilkinson)
62) Falling Down (1993 - Michael Douglas, Robert Duvall)
61) Igby Goes Down (2002 - Kieran Culkin, Claire Danes, Ryan Phillippe, Susan Sarandon, Amanda Peet, Jeff Goldblum)
60) New Jack City (1991 - Wesley Snipes, Ice-T, Bill Nunn, Chris Rock, Judd Nelson)
59) Memento (2000 - Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne moss, Joe Pantoliano)
58) Wall Street (1987 - Charlie Sheen, Michael Douglas, John C. McGinley)
57) The Wicker Man (1973 - Edward Woodward, Christpher Lee)
56) The Fifth Element (1997 - Bruce Willis, Iam Holm, Milla Jovovich, Chris Tucker, Gary Oldman & Tiny Lister)
55) The Last Seduction (1994 - Linda Fiorentino, Bill Pullman, Peter Berg)
54) Hotel Rwanda (2004 - Don Cheadle, Sophie Okonedo & Nick Nolte)
53) Das Experiment (2001 - Moritz Beibtreu)
52) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975 - Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher)
51) A Bronx Tale (1993 - Robert DeNiro, Chazz Palmintieri, Lillo Brancato)
50) L.A. Confidential (1997 - Russell Crowe, Guy Pierce, Kim Basinger)
49) Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samarai (1999 - Forrest Whitaker)
48) Prelude To A Kiss (1992 - Alec Baldwin, Meg Ryan, Stanley Tucci)
47) Full Metal Jacket (1987 - Matthew Modine, Vincent D'onofrio)
46) Notes On A Scandal (2006 - Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett)
45) Drugstore Cowboy (1989 - Matt Dillon, Kelly Lynch, James Le Gros)
44) Stranger Than Fiction (2006 - Will Ferrell, Emma Thompson)
43) Fresh (1994 - Sean Nelson, Samuel L. Jackson, Giancarlo Esposito)
42) Slacker (1991 - Richard Linklater)
41) Lost In Translation (2003 - Scarlett Johansson, Bill Murray)
More by this Author
FAIR WARNING: THIS IS THE Funniest and Raunchiest ONE YET! This edition contains all sorts of fun things like Marijuana use while operating a vehicle, cursing out your evil relatives at Christmas, having sex with...
100 films that are so good they MUST be seen are featured here. All different genres in no particular order. All Funktual Films! Enjoy them, I know you will.
Before we start, I want to make it clear that I'm not implying that "Rock Lobster" is a better song than the others—it's just more "wavy" than most. In other words, take the rankings with a...