20 Classic Hip Hop Songs to Start Your Collection (1990-1994)
Hip Hop in the Early Part of the Decade
The early nineties caught the tail end of what many refer to as the Golden Age of Hip Hop (1988-1992). Many artists took the momentum that was created in the late 80’s and opened up the door for more unique musical expressions. The concentration at this time was focused on lyrical content coupled with jazzier, more melodic beats. Groups like A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Black Sheep, and Gang Starr took center stage. At the same time a crew from Staten Island created their own raw uncut sound, one that many would try to copy unsuccessfully. The Wu Tang Clan spawned a series of Solo albums from group members that ruled the airwaves and TV stations for the next few years. Over on the West Coast, Ice Cube continued his beef with his former crew NWA while his former teammate Dr. Dre threw LA and the rest of Cali on his back.
These following songs are meant to give you a feel of the movement that was going on during the early 90’s. Although the pay checks for Hip Hop were not as astronomical as they are today, the desire to be heard along with trying to become a positive statistic drove the spirit of the artists.
20 Amazing Old School Hip Hop Jams from 1990 -1994
- Bonita Applebum – A Tribe Called Quest
- The Choice is Yours – Black Sheep
- Jackin for Beats – Ice Cube
- It Aint Hard to Tell - Nas
- Method Man – Wu Tang Clan
- 93 Til Infinity - Souls of Mischief
- Nuttin But A G Thang - Dr. Dre ft Snoop Dogg
- Fight The Power - Public Enemy
- Juice (Know the Ledge) - Rakim
- Uptown Anthem – Naughty By Nature
- Just the Two of Us – Chubb Rock
- Time 4 Sum Aksion - Redman
- Rampage – EPMD ft LL Cool J
- Take it Personal – Gangstarr
- Passin Me By - Pharcyde
- Mind is Playing Tricks on Me – Ghetto Boys
- I Used to Love Her - Common
- Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like That)
- They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.) – Pete Rock & CL Smooth
- I Get Around – Tupac ft. Digital Underground
Juice (Know the Ledge) - Eric B. & Rakim
Rampage - EPMD ft. LL Cool J
The Choice is Yours - Black Sheep
They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.) - Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Jackin For Beats - Ice Cube
More by this Author
Maxwell courtesy of 5starhiphop.com Over the years, legendary R & B singers such as Sam Cooke, Al Green, Barry White, and Luther Vandross have sung many timeless romantic classics to set the mood right. Each decade...
gallerynandm.com The seventies was a unique era. Their way of dress was different. It was expected that you would wear your best threads (suit or shirt and slacks) when you went out. The music was on a different level....
The Cagle Post The year 2012 was a very interesting year. There was the larger than life pagentry of the Olympics. New stars were born while the greatest Olympian of all time swam his last lap. There was the rematch...