20 Classic Hip Hop Records To Start Your Collection
Hip-Hop has been going strong since 1979. In recent decades it has become a money-making mega cash cow. However as each decade passes and each generation comes along, many try to reach the essence of the soul of the music. To do this, they look back to what is called "Old School" Hip-Hop. Unfortunately many classic gems get ommitted in their search and findings. To this current generation, old school may be Tupac, Biggie, and Jay-Z. I have compiled a sure fire list of Hip-Hop albums that will span the different generations. If you are someone who is starting your old school collection, here is where your meat will begin. As a disclaimer, this is not the end all be all. There have been many great records that have moved the masses. Here are twenty time tested classics that have helped to move Hip Hop in a fresh/new direction in their respective time periods.
The 20 Records
1. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
2. Notorius B.I.G. - Ready to Die
3. Various Artists - Juice Sountrack
4. Dr. Dre. - The Cronic
5. Puff Daddy and the Family - No Way Out
6. Naughty By Nature - Naughty By Nature
7. Queen Lateefah - Black Reign
8. Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
9. Fugees - The Score
10. De La Soul - De La Soul is Dead
11. MC Hammer - Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em
12. Ice Cube - Death Certificate
13. EPMD - Business as Usual
14. DMX - It's Dark and Hell is Hot
15. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
16. DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince - He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper
17. Run D.M.C. - Raising Hell
18. Gang Starr - Daily Operation
19. - Boogie Down Productions - By Any Means Necessary
20. - Nas - Illmatic
Tell Me What You Think! 5 comments
More by this Author
The collaboration in Hip Hop has become a staple over the years. Whether it be label mates rocking on each others album or the once in a million guest appearance, these situations have produced some of the greatest...
gallerynandm.com The seventies was a unique era. Their way of dress was different. It was expected that you would wear your best threads (suit or shirt and slacks) when you went out. The music was on a different level....
The Cagle Post The year 2012 was a very interesting year. There was the larger than life pagentry of the Olympics. New stars were born while the greatest Olympian of all time swam his last lap. There was the rematch...