Apl De Ap with girlfriend Joanne and the Black-Eyed Peas
Enter the Black Eyed Peas
IN the current musical world of hip-hop and break-dancing- a group called Black-Eyed Peas (BEP) has gained popularity the world over by selling the greatest numbers of albums and singles compared to their peers.
BEP's first worldwide hit
In 2003 their album ELEPHUNK sold 29 millions albums together with their singles which sold 28 million worldwide. In the same year their "Where is the Love?' topped over 10 charts worldwide. It was their first worldwide hit. Their next album- MONEY BUSINESS was another world-acclaimed hit. It spawns 3 hit singles: (1) My Humps, (2) Don't Phunk With my Heart and (3) Shut Up.
BEP, one of 11 to occupy Billboard Hot 100 no. 1 and 2 spots
Currently (2009) BEP is one of 11 artists to occupy the Nos. 1 and 2 spots on the Billboard Hot 100 at the same time with their singles - Boom Boom Pow and I Gotta Feelings from their album E.N.D (The Energy Never Dies).
Music influences apl.de.ap very early in life
- Very early in life Allan's interest was magnetized by music.
- The influences of Stevie Wonder, The Eagles, The Beatles and the popular Filipino rock-folk group - ASIN are indelibly copied in his mind.
- Hip-hop by this time came to break into the picture by way of break dancing. "I would take the jeepney all the way to Angeles City and that's how I got introduced to break dancing", he said. " I would see kids at the corner break dancing and I love it. I wanna do that".
- Enter: ALLAN PINEDA LINDO. He's apl.de.ap. Allan is popularly known by this name. He stands 5" 6'. He's the son of Christina Pineda of Sapangbato, Angeles City, Pampanga, Philippines.
- Christina is a Filipino whose father has African-American blood. Having the indomitable love and care of a true Filipino mother, Christina raised them upright- including his 4 brothers and 2 sisters despite hardships
- One main reason why their life became so miserable is the fact that Allan's biological father- a US serviceman abandoned them very shortly afer his birth on November 28, 1974 in Sapangbato.
- He grew up poor and had to help augment the family income by catching fish in the nearby river for sale. Their kind of hand-to mouth existence is aptly depicted in the Apl Song.
Best definition of BEP
Located in L.A. California, the BEP is an American musical group- a unique one whose members are truly and sincerely dedicated to the promotion and upliftment of their musical hip-hop and break-dancing world. They're perfect role models for misquided youths who do nothing but create chaos and disorder in society.
BEP is composed of Will.i.am, apl.de.ap, Taboo and Fergie, four telented youths who have pooled their resources together to promote their hip-hop dance oriented style. In full their names are:
- will.i.am is WILLIAM JAMES ADAMS, Jr. who was born on March 15, 1975,
- Taboo is JAIME LUIS GOMEZ who saw the first light of day on July 14, 1975 and
- Fergie is STACY ANN FERGUSON who was born on March 27, 1975. Hep! I almost forget one.
- Yes- he's apl.de.ap. Who's apl.de.ap? Who is he? What good has he contributed to the music well-being of the world-famous hip-hop and break-dancing BEP group that he's associated with.
Allan's lucky break
- At age 14, luck knocked at Allan's door. He was accepted to the California-based Pearl S. Buck Foundation through the sponsorship of a kind-hearted fellow, Joe Ben Hudgens who later adopted him.
- Allan sailed for LA with his foster. parents.
- He attended high school at Holy Angel University. As a young student- he met inter-racial problems but they were overcome when he gained the confidence and support of William- a schoolmate - who become his best friend.
- The two started rapping and break-dancing all over LA, California in 1995.
- The group BEP had their first record in 1998.
Allan has solo projects so with other BEP
Interviewed by Sonny Lopez, Jr. of ACL - SPED - Allan bared his up-coming solo projects, BEP projects and his activities that will boost patriotic, generous and humanitarian spirit. That each BEP member has solo projects isn't to be interpreted that they're breaking up. In fact they're actually helping one another with their solo stints. Within the year they'll come up with a new BEP album- Allan said.
Jeepney Music with Pinoy talents
Through PEP TV Channel 3, Allan has made mentioned his search engines called Jeepney Music which he created to bring and sign up projects in the US and other countries featuring Filipino talents. He has already signed up one for an R and B project in the US. He'll sign up and promote R and B, hip-hop and rock projects. He believed there are talented Filipinos whose talents are great and globally competitive. They are just waiting to be tapped. He don't want such great talents to be wasted
Allan talks about his music albums
- Allan disclosed further his new solo album entitled "MAMA PILIPINA", a beautiful patriotic song which highlights the innate beauty of the PHILIPPINES.
- And he has another song which details the yawning gap between the haves and the haves not as well as the economic imbalance between the poor and the rich.
- His albums which are due or have already been released include: (1) Shake (featuring Fergie), (2) Dance With You (featuring Jeepney Music), (3) Back Away and Repeat It Loud ( featuring Madonna and Justin Timberlake) and (4) Put your hands up.
- His best friend Will.i.am is Executive Director.
Allan's multi-faceted projects
Allan reminisced his boyhood days, his being a grandma and mama's boy. He discussed his investment in agriculture, his future plans to invest in the Clark Free Port Zone, his humanitarian projects and activities for Apple Benefit Foundation. In the show- Allan displayed his exhibits of carabaos, fowls and farms, as he praised to high heavens his undying love for farming.
Allan attended half-brother's burial
Early this year, last February 4, Allan sadly rushed home from LA to attend his youngest half-brother, 21 years old, Joven Pineda Deala's wake and burial. Deala was shot to death by 2 unidentified assailants at 1AM, Feb. 3 inside his car which was parked in front of the house of his girlfriend- Ellaine Torres in Brgy. Ninoy Aquino, Porac, Pampanga. Police authorities theorized love triangle as the motive.
For the BEP's effort in promoting hip-hop, breakdancing this hub is a trbute
This hub though a drop in the bucket is a simple tribute dedicated to the members of the BEP, especially to its FILIPINO member- ALLAN PINEDA LINDO , for their untiring efforts, zeal and dedication to promote their kind of hip-hop- break dancing art to the 4 corners of the music world. May your kind increase! To Allan- for a job well done of placing the PHILIPPINES in the world map of music- our utmost congratulations.
More by this Author
This hub captures the extraordinary feat of women pilots traveling the earth's skies. Featured here are the exploits of Filipino women pilots Aimee Carandang, Ramona P. Go and Catherine Castillo. Other distinguished...
Here's Sarah Balabagan life in UAE. She killed her employer in defense of her honor but was saved from punishment by blood money given by Gatchalian. Her songs reveal heartaches suffered by OFWs.
Basic information about pinworms, hookworms, threadworms and tapeworms. How to avoid them. Medicine for treatment.