TV Alternatives to Cable & Satellite: Vudu.com
Alternatives to Cable & Satellite
With the downturn of the economy, people are finding themselves in financial strain. If you have been turned down by or owe hundreds of dollars to Dish Network, Direct TV, Cox, Comcast or any other cable/satellite provider, don't fret. There are very affordable alternatives to cable and satellite. Some of which can be started as soon as today, with NO money down.
Vudu, owned by Walmart, is a video-streaming service that you can sign up for right from your PC or Mac, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Blu-Ray player, IPad, HDTV or smartphone as long as you have an internet connection.
What do you Need?
- An internet connection
- A Vudu-enabled HDTV, Blu-Ray player or PC/Mac, Playstation 3, Xbox360, or IPad
- A debit/credit card or prepaid debit card (card will not be charged unless you actually purchase/rent a movie)
- Desire to break free from movie rental kiosks, retailers, cable and satellite companies
What Do You Get?
- A $5.99 Vudu credit, just for signing up. No debit/credit card needed...the first rental is on them!
- Access to streaming movies the same day they come out on DVD.
- Access to some Pre-Theatrical releases before they even it theatres
- Access to some movies that are still in theatres!
- 24- to 48- hour rentals of movies
- 99¢ Movie-of-the-Day
- $2 for 2 night rentals on certain movies
- No late fees, ever
- No pay-per-month subrsciption, ever
- No contract required
- Watch in SD, HD or HDX (1080p HD and superior sound quality)
- The ability to convert your DVDs or BluRay discs to digital cloud for a mere $2-$5 per disc (and you get to keep your your discs)!
Okay, so anyone who has followed me here on HubPages knows that I am all about finding ways to save money. Cable and satellite providers lure you in with cheap "in the beginning" savings, but once the honeymoon period is over you could be spending anywhere from $60 - $100+ dollars on digital cable/satellite. Why? Get yourself a digital converer box from Amazon or eBay (I've seen them as low as $30) for your local channels, get Vudu and maybe Netflix to fill in the blanks and save yourself a ton of money each year.
Netflix - $8.00 a month AND Vudu - $0.99 - $9.99 per rental
Even if you rent 5 movies a month at, let's say $5.99 each, and purchase Netflix at $8.00 a month, you are still only paying under $40 a month. Couple that with the one-time expense of getting a digital converter and just imagine how much money you are saving!! I only write about what I know, soooooo, yep, this is well worth it!
*If you just HAVE to have cable/satellite, then just order the basic channels, you're still saving a great deal of money!
So what are the pros? You save money, you watch what you want, when you want to and only pay for what you watch. No long-term commitments, no locked-in "honeymoon" rates, just great streaming video.
What are the cons? If you don't already own a Vudu-enabled device or HDTV, you may have to buy one. Or get a used XBox 360 or Playstation 3 and you're on your way! Just go to Vudu.com to get started! Happy movie-watching!!
***I am in no way, shape or form affiliated with Walmart or Vudu, nor receiving any affiliate compenstion for this hub. I am simply a paying Vudu customer who wants to share with others alternatives to cable and satellite television***
More by this Author
Big is beautiful! And plus-sized women everywhere will appreciate these hip and stylish Indian clothing made especially with the plus size woman in mind!
Kerasoft is a Wash & Wear relaxer created by Asha McLeod, founder of the famous Jazma Hair Inc. in Canada for women of color who want hair worthy of a photo shoot.
Need a recipe for cooking chitterlings for the first time? Here's how I cook chitlins and a little history of soul food. Great for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year's dinner.