BABY BOOMER CHRONICLES (BBC) 1980
Welcome to the Baby Boomer Chronicles, the other BBC. I created this as I have a sentimental and nostalgic side to my nature. While my focus is on the Baby Boomer generation, born during 1946-1964. If you come either late or early to the party, welcome all the same. For me, like many others, great songs mark milestones in time’s passage as a part of life’s journey. When ever a song appeared at the ‘top of the charts’, I usually knew what going on in the world and in my life for during that particular time period. I put up a classic music nugget or two and hope that your memory is jogged in such a way, as mine always is. We will focus on music from year 1960-1989. For me, much earlier, I do not remember well, and after about 1990, my feelings about popular music were akin to those of my parents about the rock and roll era. They still look for that ‘Doggie in the Window’. This focuses primarily on popular music. In any case, let your tastes and imagination take you to ever greater heights. This may well be your catalyst.
"You see, we can move freely within the first 3 dimensions, but within the 4thdimension, time, we are all prisoners".
TIME CHANGES SPACE.
“The Time Machine” H.G. Wells
In the meantime, who says that we can’t observe and enjoy the changing landscape?
I found a couple of great songs here that help me define the year 1980. Yes, its personal, like a fingerprint. You may well find a different path, see table of "Top 100 Pop Songs for 1980". As we move backwards into time, may you find your way as pleasant.....
"Love Stinks" by the J. Geils Band
"Turning Japanese" by the Vapors
The 'New Sound' with new melodies and harmonies makes its debut with songs like "Turning Japanese". What a fresh departure from the Disco beat. I hoped that you liked it as much as I.
Top Pop 1980
1. You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
2. Theme From New YorkNew York - Frank Sinatra
3. Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
4. What I Like About You - Romantics
5. Funkytown - Lipps Incorporated
6. On The Road Again – Willie Nelson
7. Another Brick In The Wall (part 2) – Pink Floyd
8. Master Blaster (Jammin) – Stevie Wonder
9. Rapper's Delight - Sugarhill Gang
10. Fame - Irene Cara
11. Ladies Night - Kool and the Gang
12. Take Your Time (Do It Right) - S.O.S. Band
13. He's So Shy - Pointer Sisters
14. Feels Like I'm In Love - Kelly Marie
15. One In A Million You - Larry Graham
16. Any Way You Want It - Journey
17. The Rose - Bette Midler
18. Could I Have This Dance - Anne Murray
19. Off The Wall - Michael Jackson
20. Rock With You - Michael Jackson
21. I Wanna Be Your Lover - Prince
22. Upside Down - Diana Ross
23. On The Radio - Donna Summer
24. Volcano - Jimmy Buffet
25. Lady - Kenny Rogers
26. Whip It - Devo
27. Love Stinks - J. Geils Band
28. Cheap Sunglasses - ZZ Top
29. You Better Run - Pat Benatar
30. Look What You've Done To Me - Boz Scaggs
31. Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar
32. Misunderstanding - Genesis
33. Heartbreaker - Pat Benatar
34. This Is It - Kenny Loggins
35. Cocaine - Eric Clapton
36. You May Be Right - Billy Joel
37. The Long Run - Eagles
38. My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys - Willie Nelson
39. I'm Alright - Kenny Loggins
40. Rock Lobster - B-52s
41. Do That To Me One More Time - The Captain and Tenille
42. Call Me - Blondie
43. Love X Love - George Benson
44. Against The Wind - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
45. I Don't Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats
46. I'm Coming Out - Diana Ross
47. Don't Push It Don't Force It - Leon Haywood
48. Remember (Walking In The Sand) - Aerosmith
49. (Just Like) Starting Over - John Lennon
50. Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
51. Dreamer - Supertramp
52. Hungry Heart - Bruce Springsteen
53. Could I Have This dance - Anne Murray
54. Turn It On Again - Genesis
55. Special Lady - Ray Goodman and Brown
56. Games Without Frontiers - Peter Gabriel
57. Give Me The Night - George Benson
58. Brass In Pocket - Pretenders
59. It's Still Rock and Roll To Me - Billy Joel
60 Train In Vain (Stand By Me) - The Clash
61. Working My Way Back To You (Forgive Me Girl) - The Spinners
62. Angeline - Allman Brothers Band
63. Alabama Getaway - Grateful Dead
64. All Out Of Love - Air Supply
65. The Breaks - Kurtis Blow
66. 99 - Toto
67. Into The Night - Benny Mardones
68. I Got You - Split Enz
69. Don't Misunderstand Me - Rossington Collins Band
70. Dirty Water - The Inmates
71. Cars - Gary Numan
72. Back Of My Hand (I've Got Your Number) - The Jags
73. Say Goodbye To Little Jo - Steve Forbert
74. Tired of Toein' The Line - Rocky Burnett
75. Private Idaho - B-52s
76. Wango Tango - Ted Nugent
77. Steal Away - Robbie Dupree
78. Clones (We're All) - Alice Cooper
79. Money - The Flying Lizards
80. Turning Japanese - The Vapors
81. Lola (Live) - The Kinks
82. Sequel - Harry Chapin
83. Breakfast In America - Supertramp
84. Emotional Rescue – Rolling Stones
85. Cruisin' - Smokey Robinson
86. Sequel - HarryChapin
87. Cupid/I've Loved You For A Long Time - Spinners
88. The Spirit Of Radio - Rush
89. Think About Me - Fleetwood Mac
90. Stomp! - The Brothers Johnson
91. Longer - Dan Fogleberg
92. She's So Cold - Rolling Stones
93. Don't Do Me Like That - Tom Pettry and the Heartbreakers
94. Sometimes A Fantasy - Billy Joel
95. Jo-Jo - Boz Scaggs
96. And The Cradle Will Rock - Van Halen
97. Rotation - Herb Alpert
98. Stop Your Sobbing - The Pretenders
99. Run Like Hell - Pink Floyd
100. Trickle Trickle - The Manhattan Transfer
Was this 1980 thingy good for you?
You have to think about 1980, Without looking it up in Wikipedia, which events do you remember?
I know the news stories that got my attention: Well, with 1980, many of us recognized that the party was over. We were in the midst of a recession and the election of Ronald Reagan that year was a promise more austerity to come.
1. November 1980- Reagan elected defeating Jimmy Carter in a landslide.
2. December 1980- John Lennon is shot to death outside of his apartment in New York City.
October, 1980 -Resigned my military commission. I now welcome myself to the ever increasing soup line.
More by this Author
During the heat of the 2008 presidential campaign, many of my conservative co-workers asked me why Blacks overwhelmingly voted for Democrats. If they did not have the answer, I am sure that most of you don’t...
I retired from my government job last May, 2010 and moved to Hawaii in July, 2010. I came bringing my wife and her 4 four legged critters in tow. I thought that I would relay a little information about the transition...
This photo is pretty loathsome, isn’t it? From the Biblical Genesis to the present day, snakes have always struck fear in most people. They are by their very nature devious, stealthy and not to be trusted,...