Blues Guitar Lessons • Rhythm Guitar Strum Patterns • Part One • Chords, Tab, Video Lessons
The author of these hubs offers guitar lessons worldwide via ZOEN.
FREE INTRODUCTORY LESSON!
To purchase the PDF copy, please follow this link:
- Learning Blues Guitar | distribly.com
I have been teaching guitar professionally since 1992, when Don’t Fret Guitar Instruction was established. Over the years, I have taught countless students (beginners to advanced) how to play or improve their chops.
More Guitar Lessons
- Jazz Guitar • Chord Substitution Chart
- Jazz Guitar • Misty (Modal Breakdown, Chord Chart, Melody, Chord Melody)
- Jazz Guitar • Moon River
- Jazz Guitar • Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams
- Jazz Guitar • God Bless The Child
- Blues Guitar • The Blues Scale
- Blues Guitar • The Combination Scale
- Blues Guitar • Pinky Patterns • Part 1
- Blues Guitar • The Mighty Pentatonic Scale
- The Pentatonic Scale For Guitar • Five Box Patterns, Solos, Melodies, Video Guitar Lessons
- Blues Guitar Solo • Pentatonic Soloing • Part 1 • Chords, Tab Video Lessons
- Blues Guitar Solo • Pentatonic Soloing • Part 2 • Chords, Tab Video Lessons
- Blues Guitar Solo • Pentatonic Soloing • Part 3 • Chords, Tab Video Lessons
- Blues Guitar Solo • Pentatonic Soloing • Part 4 • Chords, Tab Video Lessons
- Blues Guitar Solo • Pentatonic Soloing • Part 5 • Chords, Tab Video Lessons
- Runaway Train • Chords, Strumming Pattern, Tab, Videos, Play Along Track • Soul Asylum
- You Belong With Me • Chords, Strumming Pattern, Tab, Videos, Play Along Track • Taylor Swift
- Beginner Guitar • The Fifteen Essential Open Chords
- Beginner Guitar • Barre Chords
- Home • Phillip Phillips • Chords, Picking Pattern, Tab
- One Thing • Chords, Strumming Pattern, Tab • One Direction
These rhythms work well at a medium to fast tempo (100-140 beats per minute: bpm)
The expression mark at the beginning of each of these patterns denotes a swing rhythm. This is a very common way of notating this. Two eighth notes equal a 'broken triplet'. Instead of counting 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and, the rhythm has a triplet sound: 1 and ah 2 and ah 3 and ah 4 and ah. The '1 and' are used up by the quarter note, while the eighth note is the 'ah'. This results in a heartbeat sound. There is a huge difference between straight eighths and swing eighths. The x notehead means to mute the chord, while the slash is a held chord. The result is a 'chuck' (for the x) and a full chord sound for the slash. To achieve this, release the pressure on the mute and quickly put the pressure back down for the slash. This may be difficult at first, but will eventually feel natural. This is much easier to do with barre chords, than open chords.
The next pattern starts with two full chord strums at the beginning of each bar. I find this is easier to execute, as it keeps the bars separate in sound. Once again, hold the pressure for the first beat (1 ah) then release the pressure for the chucks. Don't forget the heartbeat sound of the swing!
This is the most complex and challenging of the three patterns. The '1 ah' is the full chord followed by a chuck for the 2, full chord for the ah, chuck for the 3, then full chords for the 'ah 4 ah'. Practise slowly at first, then gradually increase the tempo, but don't lose the feel!
Here is a tune to work on. This is transcribed solely with pattern #2. Try this with all the patterns, then mix and match. Try playing with the actual song. This transcription is in the Junior Wellskey of the recording, provided you are tuned to standard pitch. Note the turnaround, the V (five) chord comes in halfway through the twelfth bar.
Junior Wells DVD
SONGS: Look Over Yonders Wall - Crazy About You - I Just Want To Make Love To You - Everything's Gonna Be Alright - Tribute To Muddy Waters - Trouble No More - Juke - My Younger Days - Got My Mojo Workin' - Super Bad - I Got You [I Feel Good] - Little By Little SPECIAL FEATURES: The Channel, Boston March 11, 1989 - Bonus Song: Better Than I Love Myself - Backstage Interview: Buddy Guy & Junior Wells - Full color booklet complete with an essay and never-before-published photos
When My Baby Left Me
More by this Author
How to solo with the Major Pentatonic scale. Riffs, string bending, chords, tab, video. Complete with high quality, accurate transcriptions, and in-depth pentatonic theory explanations!
Blues rhythm patterns for guitar. Chords, tab, video. Complete with high quality, accurate transcriptions, video examples and in-depth text theory explanations!
The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire) arranged for guitar. Chords, tab, melody. Includes: in-depth theory explanations, some insightful playing tips, videos and high quality, accurate transcriptions of...