How To Play The Pentatonic Scale On Guitar • Five Patterns, Solos, Melodies, Video Guitar Lessons
The Five Box Patterns
THE AUTHOR OF THESE HUBS OFFERS GUITAR LESSONS WORLDWIDE VIA ZOEN.
Please click here: ZOEN
To purchase the PDF copy, please follow this link:
- Learning Blues Guitar | distribly.com
I have been teaching guitar professionally since 1992, when Don’t Fret Guitar Instruction was established. Over the years, I have taught countless students (beginners to advanced) how to play or improve their chops.
More Guitar Lessons
- Jazz Guitar • Chord Substitution Chart
- Jazz Guitar • Misty (Modal Breakdown, Chord Chart, Melody, Chord Melody)
- Jazz Guitar • Moon River
- Jazz Guitar • Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams
- Jazz Guitar • God Bless The Child
- Blues Guitar • The Blues Scale
- Blues Guitar • The Combination Scale
- Blues Guitar • Pinky Patterns • Part 1
- Blues Guitar • The Mighty Pentatonic Scale
- The Pentatonic Scale For Guitar • Five Box Patterns, Solos, Melodies, Video Guitar Lessons
- Blues Guitar Solo • Pentatonic Soloing • Part 1 • Chords, Tab Video Lessons
- Blues Guitar Solo • Pentatonic Soloing • Part 2 • Chords, Tab Video Lessons
- Blues Guitar Solo • Pentatonic Soloing • Part 3 • Chords, Tab Video Lessons
- Blues Guitar Solo • Pentatonic Soloing • Part 4 • Chords, Tab Video Lessons
- Blues Guitar Solo • Pentatonic Soloing • Part 5 • Chords, Tab Video Lessons
- Runaway Train • Chords, Strumming Pattern, Tab, Videos, Play Along Track • Soul Asylum
- You Belong With Me • Chords, Strumming Pattern, Tab, Videos, Play Along Track • Taylor Swift
- Beginner Guitar • The Fifteen Essential Open Chords
- Beginner Guitar • Barre Chords
- Home • Phillip Phillips • Chords, Picking Pattern, Tab
- One Thing • Chords, Strumming Pattern, Tab • One Direction
- Wanted Dead Or Alive Chords • Bon Jovi • Guitar Chords, Tab, Strumming Pattern, Video.
- Dust In The Wind • Kansas • Fingerpicking, Chords, Tab, Video Guitar Lesson, Lyrics.
C Major Pentatonic
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1 2 3 5 6 8
C D E F G A B C
C D E G A C
C Major - Am to C Major - Am Pentatonic Scale Comparison
The Pentatonic Scale verses the Major Scale
The Major Pentatonic scale has a sweet sound,while the Minor Pentatonic scale has a darker, bluesy sound, but the fingering patterns for both scales are exactly the same. Therefore, when you learn a Major Pentatonic scale, you are also learning a Minor Pentatonic scale. The Pentatonic scale is usually the first scale that guitar players learn for improvisation purposes. Many rock and classic rock guitarists use the Pentatonic scale exclusively.
The Box Patterns
Here are the five box patterns of the G Major - E minor Pentatonic scale. The five note G Major Pentatonic is spelled: G A B D E (octave G). The five note E minor Pentatonic scale is spelled: E G A B D (octave E). The name 'box patterns' comes from their rectangle shape. When playing these patterns, try not to shift your hand. Stretch the fingers to cover the four frets. With the proper hand position, this will become easier. Place your thumb in the middle of your fret hand at the back of the neck, and keep your thumb down.
Box Pattern 1
Scale spelling: E G A B D E G A B D E G
This is most played of all the box patterns. This pattern starts on root E and has a mean, dark minor sound, perfect for blues, rock and any other genre. For most guitarists, this is the home base scale when improvising. Watch any player, and you will see them working in this pattern more than any other. Many standard licks come from this box. The king daddy of all box patterns!
Jimi's solo is based in Em Pentatonic at the 12th fret.
Surprisingly well chosen for a best-of assembled from the results of a fan poll, The Ultimate Experience brings together the major singles with a stack of majestic album tracks and career-defining live shots on a fat 20-tracker. While best used as a sampler to direct new listeners to the immortal Are You Experienced, Electric Ladyland, and so on, the record does hang together as a listen. Its blend of Hendrix-the-rocker and Jimi-the-underrated-soul-man is suggestive, painting a picture of a multifaceted genius and transcending its plainly mercenary origins. In the end, its effect--like that of all Hendrix's best records--is to remind us of a Jimi very, very much alive.
Box Pattern 2
Scale spelling: G A B D E G A B D E G A
This pattern starts on the second note of the first pattern, and is simply the same five notes repeated, in a different order. Even though these are the same notes as the first box, it has a sweet, happy sound, because of the different starting note (G). This position is the basis of country soloing. If you want to keep the fret hand fingers in one position, try this alternate fingering: 2 4 1 4 1 4 1 3 2 4 2 4.
This new edition of Document features the digitally remastered original album, plus a previously unreleased 1987 concert from R.E.M. s Work tour. The commemorative release also adds new liner notes by journalist David Daley, with the 2CD package presented in a lift-top box with four postcards.
This is the solo from The One I Love by REM. Based entirely in Em Pentatonic, it moves back and forth between box pattern 1 and 2. The chord movement lends a different sound to the scale in the first four measures, then returns to a more normal minor pentatonic sound for the last four measures. The chords being played under a melody line can alter the sound of the scale drastically. One of the magical properties of the chord-scale relationship!
The One I Love • Solo
Solo For The One I Love • REM
The Official Video
Box Pattern 3
Scale spelling: A B D E G A B D E G A B
This pattern starts on the second note of the second pattern. Many riffs come out of the first six notes, simply because they are so easy to play. You may have to shift your hand slightly to pick up the B on the third string, fourth fret.
Box Pattern 4
Scale spelling: B D E G A B D E G A B D
This pattern starts on the second note of the third pattern. If you want to keep the fret hand fingers in one position, try this alternate fingering: 1 4 1 4 1 3 1 3 2 4 1 4.
Box Pattern 5
Scale spelling: D E G A B D E G A B D E
The last pattern starts on the second note of the fourth pattern. It is very easy to visualize this scale. Once again, to keep the fret hand fingers in one position, try the alternate fingering: 2 4 2 4 1 4 1 4 2 4 2 4
In NEIL YOUNG JOURNEYS, Young's intense performances are presented in full, along with passages from the funny and sometimes wistful ride into town. Demme and Young previously collaborated on two other documentaries, Neil Young Heart of Gold, which chronicled Young performing in Nashville, the year after he survived a brain aneurysm and Neil Young Trunk Show, which memorialized a Pennsylvania concert during Young's "Chrome Dreams II tour.
Heart Of Gold Melody
Heart Of Gold
Em Pentatonic Along The Fretboard
Once the box patterns have been mastered, try moving through the patterns along the fretboard. The fret hand fingers are written above the notes. When ascending this extended scale, the third finger is leading, that is, most of the shifts from pattern to pattern are performed with the third finger. When descending, the first finger is leading. This is a three octave scale. When playing in position, all of the scales are two octaves.
More by this Author
- 5Guitar Lessons • How To Play Barre Chords • Printable Charts, Root 5 and 6 Shapes, Proper Hand Position, Video
A complete analysis of barre (bar) chords for guitar, including: in depth theory explanations, finger placement, chord grids and printable diagrams. The proper technique and structure of the chords is covered. Also, a...
- 0Guitar Lesson • Apache • Jørgen Ingmann • Chords, Note For Note Main Melody For Both Guitars, Tab, Video.
The original version of this guitar instrumental by Jørgen Ingmann. Note for note transcription of both parts combined into one. Very challenging to play! Chords, standard notation, tab, video.
- 9Jazz Guitar Lessons • Jazz Chord Substitution Part One • Stormy Monday Variations • Chords, Charts, Theory, Videos
A standard 3 chord blues progression, reharmonized to form a jazz version. Stormy Monday Substitutions. Chords, tab, video. High quality, accurate transcriptions. In depth theory and videos