Brit Wits: Are you Being Served? and The Vicar of Dibley
A Laugh a Day ...
If you've ever watched PBS or any of the Public television channels, you are familiar with the term "Brit Wits". If not, , allow me to introduce you to the wonderful world of British Television! Some of the most popular Brit Wits include:
- Keeping up Appearances
- Fawlty Towers
- As Time Goes By
- Waiting for God
But my all time favorite Brit Wits, and this hub's focus, are:
- Are You Being Served? (AYBS?)
- The Vicar of Dibley
The AYBS? Cast
The Magic ...
Are You Being Served? entertained audiences with its original debute in the 70's and 80's. Based in a department store called Grace Brothers, the story line followed the counter staff for the ladies and gents department. Bras (aka knickers) and panties were sold at the ladies counter and Y-fronts dominated the men's department; these articles of clothing made for some pretty hilarious scripts ... which I'll leave to your imagination.
Each character had their own quirky personality:
- Young Mr. Grace (Owner of the Department) - 80 years old and never needed Viagra
- Mr. Rumbold - (Floor Manager) Bumbling idiot in charge of the department .. his parade of cute secretaries cause a stir amongst the staff!
- Captain Peacock - (Floorwalker) Sex-crazed leader
- Mr. Grainger - (Head of Gents) The original 'grumpy old man' (His character was replaced later by Mr. Tebbs, Mr. Goldberg, Mr. Klein)
- Mr. Humphries - (2nd in command) Seems to enjoy men more than ladies
- Mr. Lucas - (Junior partner) Young, horny, flip, irresponsible ... and absolutely lovable! (Replaced in later shows by Mr. Spooner)
- Mrs. Slocombe - (Head of Ladies) A powerful, if not drunk and lonely, female ... with a cat
- Miss Brahms - (Assistant) Cocky, mouth, and the object of men's affections
- Mr. Mash and Mr. Harmon - (Custodians) the mouthy workers who never seem to do any work
With all these quirky characters, audiences just need to sit back and watch the mahem insue!
The Cast of AYBS?
Are you Being Served? Fan Clubs
- Are You Being Served? Virtual Video Vault
- Home - Are You Being Served? Fansite
Are You Being Served? Fansite is an unofficial site for fans of the TV sitcom Are You Being Served? - Home
Since 1996, Are You Being Served? Forever (formerly Minki's Are You Being Served? Shrine) has been here to take care of your Are You Being Served? needs. Here you will find a library of AYBS and Are You Being Served Again (a.k.a. Grace and Favor) inf
- Are You Being Served? Online
- The Unofficial Are You Being Served? Fanclub
The Unofficial Are You Being Served? Fanclub: an online fanclub dedicated to the BBC cult classic Are You Being Served?
- Are You Being Served Fan Club | Fansite with photos, videos, and more
Fanpop community fan club for Are You Being Served fans to share, discover content and connect with other fans of Are You Being Served. Find Are You Being Served videos, photos, wallpapers, forums, polls, news and more.
AYBS? Episode: Fire Safety Part 1
AYBS? Episode: Fire Safety Part 2
AYBS Episode: Fire Safety Part 3
My Other Favorite ...
The Vicar of Dibley
The Vicar of Dibley Cast
The Vicar of Dibley
The Vicar ... aired from the 90's into the mid-2000s, which makes it one of the most recent Brit Wits shown on PBS. On this series, a woman was sent to a sweet little town named Dibley to be the town Vicar. Unfortunately, the town didn't realize she was a woman - and they weren't excited about that prospect! But, the Vicar wasn't aware of the mental state of her parishioners ... clinically insane!
The cast includes:
- Gerry Grainger - (The Vicar) self-described as "a babe with a bobcut and a magnificent bosom"
- David Horton - (Council Man) rich, snotty, millionaire with very conservative views
- Hugo Horton - (David's Son) a sweet but bumbling idiot
- Alice Tinker - (The Verger, aide to the Vicar) has the mental capacity of a prawn sandwich
- Jim Trott - (Member of the Council) No-no-no-no-no-no-no speaking skills ... but was confident in his sexual skills
- Frank Pickle - (Council's Secretary) possibly the most boring person in the world ... and has a juicy secret
- Owen Newton - (Farmer) - pervert, zoophile and, if that wasn't enough, he has bad BO
- Mrs. Cropley (Only in until the 1st episode of the 2nd season) - and if she hadn't left when she did, she would have killed off the cast with her unusual, but inventive, recipes
Dawn French is The Vicar of Dibley
Vicar of Dibley Fan Clubs
- Vicar_of_Dibley_Fan_Club : Vicar of Dibley
Vicar_of_Dibley_Fan_Club: Vicar of Dibley
- The Vicar of Dibley Fan Club | Fansite with photos, videos, and more
Fanpop community fan club for The Vicar of Dibley fans to share, discover content and connect with other fans of The Vicar of Dibley. Find The Vicar of Dibley videos, photos, wallpapers, forums, polls, news and more.
The Vicar of Dibley: The Butter Saga
The Vicar of Dibley: The Ending Jokes
The Vicar of Dibley: Best Moments (Quality is So-So)
Great pick me ups ...
Whenever I had a bad day, I'd watch a clip of AYBS? or The Vicar... The cute lines, quick wit and phenomenal never failed to pick me up. The next time you need some laughs, get on You Tube and search out some videos.
I hope you won't be disappointed.
Comments 2 comments
Start your own Brit Wit Collection
More by this Author
Will loved to eat at the local Japanese-buffet located close to our home. One day the owners put out a new dessert and, being of an adventurous nature, Will put several on his plate. When I asked what they were, he told...