Cameron Merrell - Nashville Musicians
Country Music Soothes the Soul
I recently visited Nashville for one reason...music. Actually country music, but I was pleasantly surprised with an awesome mixture of many genres. I was entertained by rap music, rockabilly, soul music, these talented artists were even singing the blues.
Like a sponge, I soaked it all up.
I paid extra close attention to the musicians who were performing at each bar I frequented. Trust me when I say that my daughter and I frequented quite a few. I even brought some musicians back home with me, via Social Media.
I was impressed with their drive and desire to fuel their passion...music.
What a pleasure it was to be in the presence of Cameron during his performances. From my barstool I witnessed this amazing musician put his heart and soul into his music. Not just any music, this boy was singing some Bayou Soul.
You best believe me when I tell you that you will feel the passion in the sound of Cameron's music...I bet y'all that you will be swaying along and chances are you might fall off your bar stool so I suggest y'all hold on for dear life!
Now go on and learn some random fun facts while enjoying Cameron's music...
Cameron Merrell - Random Fun Facts
- Cameron was born in Shreveport, Louisiana. Hey, that's where Britney Spears hails from!
- While Nashville is where Cameron resides now, he will always consider Bossier City, Louisiana his hometown. Nice shout-out to Bossier City!
- While Cameron is the musical talent within his family, I am going to give an honorable mention to his paternal grandmother who plays the piano and sings in the choir.
- At 23 years old, his talent shines through his music. The soulful blues that cascade around him as he performs is majestic to the ears of the patrons on Broadway.
- His favorite food is Crawfish Etouffee and anything Cajun. Very interesting! I am not a foodie, but I had to Google this dish. I now need to eat it!
- Favorite drink is Arnold Palmer's sweet tea and lemonade.
- The first musician that inspired Cameron to sing and play guitar is Gavin DeGraw. Nice! I'm going to bet that Gavin would be honored.
- The artists that truly inspired his passion for soul/blues music are Bill Withers, Ray Charles, Joe Cocker and Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes. This is a perfect example that legends truly live on.
- While Cameron is fairly new to country music, he considers himself a sucker for soul music. Chris Stapleton has opened his eyes to what/how country music should sound like. Through listening to Chris Stapleton he began to listen to the greats such as Waylon Jennings. He also admires the Wild Feathers who are a newer band that emphasize on three part harmonies.
We Ain't Done Yet!
- Cameron is an Independant Musician at this time. He doesn't have a record deal yet, but hopes to one day. While he does appreciate his freedom to be creative and considers that more of a challenge, all this amazing young artist wants is to travel and play for people that get into his music as much as he does.
- He hasn't had any vocal training, but would appreciate a professional to take the time to critique him. Let's make this happen, Nashville!
- Cameron and his guitar play well together. At age 16 he began to play the piano, but not as well as Grandma plays.
- He writes his own music. He is passionate about creating his own sound.
- Cameron auditioned for American Idol. During that experience he met Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick, Jr. The trio opted out of sending Cameron to Hollywood. I'm shocked! Maybe that's why the TV show ended, they passed on the real deal!
- One of my favorite questions to ask artists is where they see themselves in 5 years. Cameron sees himself on a tour bus headed to play a kickass show somewhere. I hope to be at that show!
- His advice to a musician getting started in the business is to stay positive. Work your butt off and do not allow anyone to tell you that you aren't good enough. Do not be something you aren't. Being good enough and trying to fit in with the rest may get you a number one, but originality is what hits people in the gut and makes you memorable and earns you respect.
Cameron Merrell continues...
I asked Cameron who his favorite musician is. Well, that was a difficult question for him since his list went on...and on. He had too many artists that influenced him and continue to influence him to give me just one name.
In my opinion from Cameron's selection of musicians, he obviously has darn good taste! Hands down this musician listens to artists that have serious talent.
One of my favorite quotes is, "You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with." This quote is a perfect fit for Cameron. He will no doubt shine.
- His favorite old school musicians are the Beatles, Joe Cocker and Ray Charles.
- His favorite artists of today are Chris Stapleton, John Mayer, Justin Timberlake and Eric Church.
- Honorable mentions are the Black Crowes, Kings of Leon, Marc Broussard, Drake White, Ed Sheeran and Matt Corby.
Cameron Merrell's Favorite Quote
Two roads diverged in the wood and I took the one less traveled by and that has made all the difference.
- Cameron was one of three musicians picked out of a hat to share a recording with the panelists. The bass player from the Go-Go's, Karen Valentine said his voice was the most unique she had ever heard and she loved it.
- A female he would like to duet with is Maggie Koerner who sings Louisiana soul music. A male would be Ed Sheeran. As Cameron said, "Two redheads with two different styles of soul music could create something sick together!" Heck yeah!
- His favorite old country music song is Amanda by Waylon Jennings. Modern country song is Mistress Named Music by Eric Church.
- His thoughts on how country music has evolved is quite interesting and I think we could all learn from it. "Country music hasn't evolved. What the radio is playing has. That is pop music not country. I don't hate on it. I love pop music. I just don't think it should be called country music." Well said. You are preaching to the choir, Cameron.
- Cameron's favorite bar to perform on Broadway is Rippy's main stage at night. It has a very intimate setting which blends well with his music.
Now y'all know where to visit Cameron when you are in Nashville. Keep in mind that song requests are welcome and tipping the musicians is very much appreciated.
- Cameron Merrell | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Listen to Cameron Merrell | SoundCloud is an audio platform that lets you listen to what you love and share the sounds you create.. 15 Tracks. 62 Followers. Stream Tracks and Playlists from Cameron Merrell on your desktop or mobile device.
As I shared random facts about Cameron, his voice was serenading me via his YouTube videos.
It was truly my honor to be able to promote this passionate musician who is living his dream.
I had a blast learning about him and learning from him.
Thank you, Cameron for sharing your soulful world with us.
I wish you success with your career. May all your dreams come true. Shine on...
Cameron Merrell - In a Little While
Follow Cameron Merrell at...
iTunes EP will be out before Christmas
Contact info: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Studio 6 - Cameron Merrell, Pt. 1 - Story | ArkLaTexHomepage
Local singer/songwriter Cameron Merrell performs live at Studio 6.
Cameron's proud parents share a few words...
Cameron grew up as your average kid. He was into all of the Pokemon, Ninja Turtle and Star Wars stuff. He played baseball growing up and football in high school, but was never seriously interested in music until later on in high school. He was always labeled by his older brother, Patrick, and his three cousins, Jessica, Mallory and Anna Beth as being the quiet one, always taking a backseat to his older brother, a competitive swimmer. But, then he got involved in his high school production of Grease.
He was originally just helping out behind the scenes, but was finally pegged as Danny Zuko when the kid playing him just couldn’t quite grasp the part. Cameron went all out. He researched the show and worked with one of the female actresses on the choreography for the show. While a few of the songs were movie recordings, several were sung by Cameron and the others themselves. After all was said and done, Cameron’s Theater teacher told us that Cameron was the best Danny she had ever had in thirty plus years of doing the show. It was somewhere around that time that he picked up his first keyboard. We thought it was going to be a passing interest, but he spent hours in his room teaching himself to play by ear. He even started writing some original tunes.
He then claimed an old $50 guitar we had bought his brother at an estate sale and taught himself how to play it, as well. He soon went off to college at University of Louisiana at Monroe. While there he formed a band called Runaway Arizona and starting writing full songs. After a year he decided to make music a career and moved back home. We told him we would do all we could do to support him if he was serious about music as a career. He soon formed a new local band called Red River Son and was soon playing gigs all over Shreveport and Bossier City.
A local friend of music producer, Brady Blade, had become a fan of Cameron and set up an audition with Brady at his studio. After hearing one song Brady told him that “he would kick Ed Sheeran’s ass in a singing competition.” Brady also told him to always remain himself. That further cemented Cameron’s drive. Cameron would spend every free minute either on the keyboards or on the guitar. Seeing Cameron perform on stage is so special. He is the same kid that I saw grow up, but there he is singing and playing his music and having the time of his life. It makes me so proud. It was fairly soon thereafter that several people in the business told Cameron that he needed to go where he had a bigger audience, to Nashville.
Once again, his mom and I told him we would do what we could to support him in this big step. I really felt he had the drive and passion to make a go of it.
Do you sing the blues?See results without voting
- Brady Brueggen - Nashville Musicians
Hey y'all come on in and enjoy a Nashville experience as I introduce you to a talented musician that entertains country music fans on Broadway.
- Sean Rivers - Nashville Musicians
Hey y'all come on in and enjoy a Nashville experience as I introduce you to a talented musician that entertains country music fans on Broadway...
- Nashville Nobodies — Nashville Musicians
Hey y'all. Kick back and enjoy my country music interview series. I intend to introduce you to some talented musicians from Broadway in Nashville.
- Mark Sellers - Nashville Musicians
Kick back and enjoy the Nashville experience as I introduce you to some talented musicians that entertain patrons on Broadway...
- Brett Stafford Smith - Nashville Musicians
Kick back and enjoy as I introduce you to some talented musicians that entertain folks in Nashville...
© 2016 Linda Bilyeu
More by this Author
Country Music and rain go hand in hand. There are many country songs about rain and I've compiled some in this article. Videos included.
I present to you 28 reasons to love country music. You might already be a fan, considering being a fan or detest the tunes. Either way I hope you consider my reasons.
If you are searching for a gift under $5 you will find an idea or two within my list. I've given many of these gifts and they were always appreciated. Give a gift and get a smile.