Alternative Metal: Drowning Pool
Drowning Pool Notes
Don't say nothing good ever came from Texas. Certain politicians may have given the state a poor name, but Drowning Pool certainly holds its own.
The band is currently signed with Eleven Seven Music and has released three CDs with the label- Sinner, Desensitized, and Full Circle.
Drowning Pool has seen its share of members and changes. Currently, the band consists of Ryan McCombs (vocals), C.J. Pierce (guitar), Stevie Benton (bass), and Mike Luce (drums and vocals).
Personally, I think the biggest mistake the band has had to overcome was letting Jason Gong Jones leave.
Drowning Pool Bio & History
Starting with Wind- Up Records, the band hit it big when they debuted with Ozzy Osbourne during Ozzfest, but when Sinner was released later in 2001, it was granted platinum within six months of its release.
Then, Bodies aired, and made it big on MTV and other music channels. And then, after 9/11, the song was played constantly over radio stations.
Unfortunately, the band lost Dave Williams, vocals, on August 14, 2002. After the autopsy, it came to be the Williams suffered from a form of heart disease, not a drug overdose, like what is common to many performers.
After William's death, the band opted to continue and persue their fame and fortune. But, without vocals, what were they to do? Simple, in 2003, they higher Jason "Gong" Jones.
Fun Fact: If you're curious, 'Gong' came from a nickname when he was younger. He had to pretend to be the cousin of a childhood friend to get alcohol. Gong was the last name that he chose, as his friend was oriental. The name stuck around.
After Gong joined the band, they released Desensitized in 2004. Although, the CD wasn't as successful as Sinner, I personally liked it best. But, because of the vocal differences between Williams and Gong, Drowning Pool lost a few fans.
Gong's stay with the band was short lived, because of differences and problems, on June 14, 2005, Gong announced that he would be leaving the band. (Later, he joined AM Conspiracy, which is another alternative metal band.)
After several rumors, the band announced at Ozzfest of 2005 that they would be bringing in Ryan McCombs to fill Gong's shoes, and in the spring of 2006, the band decided to leave Wind- Up Records to end up sign with Eleven Seven Records on February 26, 2007.
Then on August 7, 2007, Drowning Pool release Full Circle. The title alone basically represents how the band has made full circle. Not many realize it, but the band initially started with McCombs before Williams was the official first singer, and now McCombs is back. The band made a full circle back.
In 2008, you'll see Drowning Pool on the North American Tour as a guest to Saliva.
Drowning Pool - Step Up (Desensitized w/ Gong)
Members of Drowning PoolClick thumbnail to view full-size
Drowning Pool Trivia
Did you know...
1. World Wrestling Entertainment has used several Drowning Pool songs.
- Sinner was used for Vengeance 2001.
- Tear Away was used for WrestleMania XX.
- Rise Up is the current SmackDown! official theme.
- Rise Up is on the WWE ThemeAddict: The Music, volume 6. You can hear the original with Gong, or the remake with McCombs on the WWE Wreckless Intent CD.
2. Bodies has been used several times by World Wrestling Entertainment.
- It was the official song for SummerSlam 2001, One Night Stand 2005 & 2006, and December to Dismember 2006/
- It was, also, the official theme for ECW from June 13, 2006 to July 10, 2007.
3. Follow, is on the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 soundtrack CD.
4. Sinner was the theme song for "The One," and Bodies, was featured in the initial fight scene of the movie.
5. Step Up was featured in the end credits of "The Punisher," 2004.
6. Tear Away was the entrance song for Kevin Steen in the Ring of Honor.
7. Drowning Pool has three songs- Reminded, Mute, and Told You So- featured in Dragon Ball Z's "Cooler's Revenge."
8. Bodies has been used to promote the 2008 "Rambo" film.
More by this Author
Senior pranks tend to be a unofficial tradition at most high schools, similar to the unofficial senior skip day. It is crucial to find the perfect prank; one must realized the fine line between mischievous and vandalism...
Practical jokes and can be funny or hurtful depending on how you go about doing it. I find the funniest practical jokes are prank phone calls. People really don't get hurt with prank phone calls, which is the key with...
Learn some of the signs of infected belly-button piercings and what to do about them.