The Official Movie Trailer for Duplicity (2009)
2. Like many English actors, Clive Owen started his acting career as a British TV star in the United Kingdom. This is a very common method for jumpstarting one's acting career if a UK citizen; good starting place if serious about the Entertainment Industry. BBC is known for making numerous actors' careers as well as giving the elder actors of the UK a place to work; excellent!
3. Alicia recommends the film King Arthur (released in 2004) if you liked Clive Owen in the movie Duplicity. This is the movie Clive had to learn to ride a horse in order to play the lead role.
4. 2005 Clive Owen received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. It was for his portrayal of Larry in the movie Closer, another good Clive Owen and Julia Roberts movie.
5. As of 2014, Clive Owen has been in 30 movies.
For more about Clive Owen:
1. Check out "your original 24/7 Clive Owen online resource" by clicking here.
2. Visit Wikipedia
1. At the age of 20, Julia Roberts in 1987 launched her acting career debuting as Babs in Firehouse which was an unaccredited part.
4. 2001 the role Erin Brockovich won Julia Roberts her first Oscar for Best Actress.
For more about Julia Roberts:
1. Visit Wikipedia
2. Check out her bio listed on IMDb.
Duplicity, released in 2009, written and directed by Tony Gilroy (aka Michael Clayton) was one of the best movies I have seen Clive Owen and Julia Roberts perform. This film had a solid, yet convoluted plot that kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end (which was a surprise ending indeed!). Expertly written and executed! Hats off to cast and crew for their hard work and expertise (it showed)!
Duplicity is definitely appropriately titled (means "double-dealing; deception" per Webster's Dictionary edited by John Gage Allee Ph.D, Ottenheimer Publications Inc, 1977) and that is exactly what the movie delivers. This film is about corporate espionage between two corporate pharmaceutical giants who are in severe competition with one another to the point that each company sends their own "sleeper" agents to infiltrate as employees in order to steal the other company's secrets or break through products formulas. Each one of these corporate giants wants to be the first to bring something to the market.
Ray Koval (Clive Owen) and Claire Steinwick (Julia Roberts) are a romantically involved couple who used to work as spies (Ray for MI6 and Claire for CIA) who decide to go freelance and enter the corporate espionage arena. Their goal is to make $40 million by outsmarting the company who hires them and sell a big corporate secret to a European corporate giant. Their scheme relies on both corporate giants B&R (Burkett & Randle) and Equikrom not knowing they are a couple romantically involved or know one another. Claire becomes a "sleeper" agent for Equikrom by becoming an employee at B&R. Ray joins Equikrom's corporate espionage unit that oversees Claire from the outside and secretly meets with her to receive vital information about B&R from her.
This big league corporate giant intrigue is filled with both CEO's trying to outsmart each other and prove which one has the better corporate spy unit which is why Howard Tully (Tom Wilkinson), CEO for B&R, baits a trap for Equikrom's CEO, Richard "Dick" Garsik (Paul Chamati), and Equikrom's espionage unit that actually uses both Ray and Claire without them knowing; very ingenious. Duplicity shows how different corporate espionage is to the international intrigue type the MI6 and CIA is confronted with daily. Ray Koval and Claire Steinwick learn valuable lessons, even though they are seasoned international spies.
Duplicity is on DVD, rated PG-13 and is 2 hours 5 minutes in length. In spite of its rating the film has very adult in subject matter that in my opinion would be inappropriate for minors (those under 18 years of age). It is well worth viewing; does not feel long, because of the solid well written plot and subplots.
I highly recommend this excellent movie. If you are a fan of Clive Owen or Julia Roberts then Duplicity is a "must see!"
More by this Author
Movie Review about the film "Leap Year" starring Amy Adams and Matthew Goode. This review includes a preview of this charming romantic-comedy brimming with quaint Irish traditions, superstitions and legends. The movie...
This is a review of the movie "It's Complicated" starring Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin and Meryl Streep. All three actors are super in their respective roles. "It's Complicated" is a great comedy brimming with hilarity.
The Federalists and Anti-Federalists were the original parties of the United States of America. "Federalists vs Anti-Federalists" covers the differences between these political parties and issues faced in the beginning...