Elizabeth Taylor - A Hollywood Queen and Hollywood Screen Legend
This is a tribute to my favorite actress Elizabeth Taylor. She is a Hollywood Legend.
Elizabeth Taylor is one of my favorite actresses of all time. She was one of the most beautiful faces in Hollywood and not only that she was one of the versatile and greatest actresses in Hollywood ever produce. She won awards as best actress and was nominated several times during her Hollywood days. I have often hear many good praises about her as an actress from my mother and from many people who love her and see her as their idol. She was really very powerful woman not only in the movies but also in her private life.
The Young Elizabeth:
She was born as Elizabeth Rosemond Taylor on Feb. 27, 1932 in Hampstead North West London, England. She had a dual citizenship namely British national through her birth on a British soil and American citizen through her American parents. Her family moved back to the United States before the onset of World War II and settled in California. Elizabeth Taylor started her movie career at the age of 9 when she had her first movie contract with Universal Pictures at $100 per week.
Elizabeth Taylor Movies as a Young Star:
- 1942 - There’s One Born Every Minute - her first motion picture
- 1943 - Lassie Come Home
- 1944 - National Velvet
- 1946 - Courage of Lassie
- 1947 - Life with Father
- 1947 - Cynthia
- 1948 - A Date with Judy
- 1948 - Julia Misbehaves
- 1949 - Little Women
Little Women was considered her last adolescent role; her next role in Conspirator would be her first adult role.
Elizabeth Taylor in her Mature Roles:
- 1949 - Conspirator
- 1950 - The Big Hangover
- 1950 - Father of the Bride
- 1951 - Father’s Little Dividend
- 1951 - A Place in the Sun
- 1952 - Love is Better than Ever
- 1952 - Ivanhoe
- 1953 - The Girl Who Had Everything
- 1954 - Rhapsody
- 1954 - Elephant Walk
- 1954 - Beau Brummell
- 1954 - The Last Time I saw Paris
- 1956 - Giant
- 1957 - Raintree County
- 1958 - Cat in a Hot Tin Roof
- 1959 - Suddenly, Last Summer
- 1960 - BUtterfield 8 ---First Best Actress Award
- 1963 - Cleopatra
- 1963 - The V.I.P.s
- 1965 - The Sandpiper
- 1966 - Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf
- 1967 - The Taming of the Shrew
- 1967 - Doctor Faustus
- 1967 - Reflections in a Golden Eye
- 1967 - The Comedians
- 1968 - Boom!
- 1968 - Secret Ceremony
- 1970 - The only Game in Town
- 1972 - Under Milk Wood
- 1972 - Hammersmith Is Out
- 1973 - Ash Wednesday
- 1976 - The Blue Bird
- 1977 - A Little Night Music
- 1980 - The Mirror Crack’d
- 1983 - Between Friends
- 1985 - Malice in Wonderland
- 1989 - Sweet Bird of Youth
- 1994 - The Flintstones
- 2001 - These Old Broads
Some of the Highlights in Her Life and Career:
- Her Movie National Velvet was a smash hit and brought her to stardom.
- She was one of the most beautiful faces in Hollywood and one of the greatest performers in her time.
- She was the first highest paid actress in her time to earn a salary of 1million
- Among her best movies includes National Velvet, Lassie Come Home, Father of the Bride, Car in a Hot Tin Roof, A Place in the Sun, Suddenly, Last Summer, BUtterfield 8, Cleopatra, Who is Afraid of Virginia Woolf, The Taming of the Shrew and The Mirror Crack’d.
- She won 2 Academy Awards for best actress in BUtterfield 8 and Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf.
- She has nominations for best actress in films Raintree County, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Suddenly, Last Summer.
- She had great romance with Richard Burton and married him twice.
- Elizabeth Taylor had a passion for fine jewelries. She owned few of the most well-known pieces of jewelries such as the 33.19 carat Krupp Diamond, 69.42 carat Taylor-Burton Diamond, the 50 carat La Perigrina Pearl formerly owned by Mary I of England.
- She has a popular Fragrance line and one of the leading perfumes in the market such as White Diamonds, Passion and Black Pearls.
- She was appointed Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1999
- Conrad “Nicky” Hilton - 1950-1951 - divorced
- Michael Wilding -------- 1952-1957 - divorced
- Michael Todd ----------- 1957-1958- widowed
- Eddie Fisher ------------ 1959-1964 - divorced
- Richard Burton --------- 1964-1974 - divorced
- " " ------------------------- 1975-1975 - divorced
- John Warner ----------- 1976-1982 - divorced
- Larry Fortensky ------- 1991-1996 - divorced
- Michael Howard Wilding -- born in 1953
- Christopher Edward Wilding born in 1955
- Elizabeth Frances Todd born in 1957
- Maria Burton adopted in 1964, born in 1961
Elizabeth Taylor had various health problems during her lifetime. She survived a benign brain tumor operation and skin cancer. She had back problems and hip replacements. In 2004 she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, a progressive illness. And this early February of 2011 she was admitted to Cedar-Sinai Medical Center for congested heart failure. She spends her 79th birthday at the hospital on Feb. 27, 2011. Everyone were hopeful for a while as she was getting better but on March 23, 2011 her heart gave up. Farewell to the screen legend of our time. We love you Elizabeth Taylor and may you rest in peace.
More by this Author
The Philippines coconut trees occupy about 25% of its cultivated lands. Therefore a great percentage of people are partially dependent on coconut farms. The Philippines is the second top producer of coconut products...
Coconut Wine is called Tuba, Bahal or Bahalina. In Luzon it is mostly called Lambanog. The main difference is the mixture and color. Tuba or Lambanog in Luzon is the pure sap (no barok mix) almost colorless or milky...