Emmy Predictions 2012 - COMEDY
While it's true that comedy is subjective, it's hard for me to believe most people would look at this year's crop of Emmy contenders and not be just a touch disappointed. Series that have been hilarious (or, if nothing else, at least well-written) in the past seemed to drop the ball between 2011 and 2012.
Regardless, awards will still be handed out to those shows that presumably made the best of a mediocre season. And here are the likely beneficiaries. . .
- THE BIG BANG THEORY
- CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM
- MODERN FAMILY
- PARKS AND RECREATION
- 30 ROCK
MODERN FAMILY will probably repeat as the winner here for a third year in a row, even though most would agree that the show's third season was far from stellar. Previous nominees GLEE and THE OFFICE weren't helped by major changes in their episodic makeup (GLEE became less coherent; THE OFFICE lost its star). It doesn't have much of a shot, but COMMUNITY should be a serious contender (and this is coming from someone who wasn't wild about the show in the beginning). LOUIE also has an outside chance.
- The Big Bang Theory
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Modern Family
- 30 Rock
- Alec Baldwin 30 ROCK
- Louis C.K. LOUIE
- Jon Cryer TWO AND A HALF MEN
- Larry David CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM
- Johnny Galecki THE BIG BANG THEORY
- Jim Parsons THE BIG BANG THEORY
Cryer's submitting himself in the lead race after being nominated several times (and winning once) as a supporting performer. Due to this field's usual lack of competition, he'll probably get in easily. The most vulnerable nominee is probably Galecki, whose spot could go to Don Cheadle, fresh off his new series HOUSE OF LIES.
- ALEC BALDWIN - 30 Rock
- LOUIS C.K. - Louie
- DON CHEADLE - House of Lies*
- JON CRYER - Two and a Half Men
- LARRY DAVID - Curb Your Enthusiasm
- JIM PARSONS - The Big Bang Theory
- Laura Dern ENLIGHTENED
- Zooey Deschanel NEW GIRL
- Tina Fey 30 ROCK
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus VEEP
- Melissa McCarthy MIKE & MOLLY
- Amy Poehler PARKS AND RECREATION
Louis-Dreyfus and Poehler feel like the safest bets. Dern has the momentum of winning a Golden Globe in her favor, Deschanel's show is popular and Fey is a regular. Ironically, last year's winner (Melissa McCarthy) is the big question mark. Lena Dunham (GIRLS), Edie Falco (NURSE JACKIE), Laura Linney (THE BIG C) or Martha Plimpton (RAISING HOPE) could take that last slot.
- ZOOEY DESCHANEL - New Girl
- LENA DUNHAM - Girls*
- EDIE FALCO - Nurse Jackie*
- TINA FEY - 30 Rock
- JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS - Veep
- MELISSA McCARTHY - Mike & Molly
- AMY POEHLER - Parks and Recreation
- Ty Burrell MODERN FAMILY
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson MODERN FAMILY
- Max Greenfield NEW GIRL
- Ed O'Neill MODERN FAMILY
- Nick Offerman PARKS AND RECREATION
- Eric Stonestreet MODERN FAMILY
The MODERN FAMILY guys should all make the cut for a second time. PARKS AND REC fans have been waiting for Offerman to get recognized for years, and this seems like the right time. Nevertheless, a snub wouldn't exactly be shocking. The Emmys have always been less receptive to younger performers, which works against Greenfield, although he's probably got a better shot than Offerman.
Other possibilities: Neil Patrick Harris (HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER), Simon Helberg (THE BIG BANG THEORY) and Damon Wayans, Jr. (HAPPY ENDINGS).
- TY BURRELL - Modern Family
- JESSE TYLER FERGUSON - Modern Family
- MAX GREENFIELD - New Girl
- BILL HADER - Saturday Night Live*
- ED O'NEILL - Modern Family
- ERIC STONESTREET - Modern Family
- Julie Bowen MODERN FAMILY
- Jane Krakowski 30 ROCK
- Jane Lynch GLEE
- Sofia Vergara MODERN FAMILY
- Betty White HOT IN CLEVELAND
- Kristen Wiig SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE
None of these ladies was particularly outstanding last year, so if any of them made the cut, it's anyone guess as to who would ultimately win (though the buzz is currently in Bowen's favor for a second time). Cloris Leachman (RAISING HOPE) is a very real possibility as well.
- MAYIM BIALIK - The Big Bang Theory*
- JULIE BOWEN - Modern Family
- KATHRYN JOOSTEN - Desperate Housewives*
- SOFIA VERGARA - Modern Family
- MERRITT WEVER - Nurse Jackie*
- KRISTEN WIIG - Saturday Night Live
- Will Arnett 30 ROCK
- William Baldwin 30 ROCK
- Louis C.K. PARKS AND RECREATION
- Johnny Depp LIFE'S TOO SHORT
- Michael J. Fox CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM
- Greg Kinnear MODERN FAMILY
I'm not sure how many people have earned nominations in the same category for both drama and comedy series, but Michael J. Fox seems poised to do it.Predicting the guest actors is always difficult (the possibilities are endless), so he or any of the other men could be replaced by the following:
Alan Alda (THE BIG C), Matt Boemer (GLEE), Hugh Dancy (THE BIG C), Jimmy Fallon (SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE), Justin Long (NEW GIRL), Liam Neeson (LIFE'S TOO SHORT), Don Rickles (HOT IN CLEVELAND), Paul Rudd (PARKS AND RECREATION) or Martin Short (WEEDS).
- WILL ARNETT - 30 Rock
- BOBBY CANNAVALE - Nurse Jackie*
- JIMMY FALLON - Saturday Night Live*
- MICHAEL J. FOX - Curb Your Enthusiasm
- JON HAMM - 30 Rock*
- GREG KINNEAR - Modern Family
- Ellen Barkin MODERN FAMILY
- Kathy Bates TWO AND A HALF MEN
- Patricia Clarkson PARKS AND RECREATION
- Dot-Marie Jones GLEE
- Melissa McCarthy SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE
- Elaine Stritch 30 ROCK
Other possibilities: Blythe Danner (UP ALL NIGHT), Zooey Deschanel (SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE), Kathryn Hahn (PARKS AND RECREATION), Cynthia Nixon (THE BIG C), Maya Rudolph (SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE) and Lily Tomlin (EASTBOUND AND DOWN).
- ELIZABETH BANKS - 30 Rock*
- KATHY BATES - Two and a Half Men
- MARGARET CHO - 30 Rock*
- DOT-MARIE JONES - Glee
- MELISSA McCARTHY - Saturday Night Live
- MAYA RUDOLPH - Saturday Night Live*
- COMMUNITY (Remedial Chaos Theory) - Jeff Melman
- CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM (Palestinian Chicken) - Robert B. Weide
- LOUIE (Duckling) - Louis C.K.
- MODERN FAMILY (Tableau Vivant) - Gail Mancuso
- 30 ROCK (Live from Studio 6H) - Beth McCarthy-Miller
Other possibilities: CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM (Mr. Softee), GIRLS (She Did), HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER (The Magician's Code), MODERN FAMILY (After the Fire), MODERN FAMILY (Aunt Mommy), NEW GIRL (Pilot) and VEEP (Baseball).
- Curb Your Enthusiasm - ROBERT B. WEIDE ("Palestinian Chicken")
- Girls - LENA DUNHAM ("She Did")*
- Louie - LOUIS C.K. ("Duckling")
- Modern Family - JASON WINER ("Virgin Territory")*
- Modern Family - STEVEN LEVITAN ("Baby On Board")*
- New Girl - JAKE KASDAN ("Pilot")*
- LOUIE (Pregnant) - Louis C.K.
- MODERN FAMILY (Aunt Mommy) - Abraham Higginbotham & Dan O'Shannon
- MODERN FAMILY (Virgin Territory) - Elaine Ko
- PARKS AND RECREATION (The Debate) - Amy Poehler
- VEEP (Full Disclosure) - Roger Drew & Ian Martin
Other possibilities: GIRLS (Pilot), NEW GIRL (Pilot), 30 ROCK (Kidnapped by Danger) and VEEP (Tears).
- Community - CHRIS McKENNA ("Remedial Chaos Theory")*
- Girls - LENA DUNHAM ("Pilot")*
- Louie - LOUIS C.K. ("Pregnant")
- Parks and Recreation - AMY POEHLER ("The Debate")
- Parks and Recreation - MICHAEL SCHUR ("Win, Lose or Draw")*
- MODERN FAMILY
- 30 ROCK
- The Big C*
- Modern Family
- New Girl*
- Nurse Jackie*
More by this Author
1. Aaahh!!! Real Monsters I remember how cautious I was of this show when it first premiered. The character drawings seemed kind of weird, and the series seemed to be a little out there. Turns out, it was an instant...
Which ten shows left you wishing they could go on forever?
Want to know what it's like to be an extra on a Tyler Perry movie? I document my experience here.
No comments yet.