How to Get Cheap or Free Live Entertainment--5 Ways
Do you think there is something special about live entertainment? I do. It can make an occasion all the more delightful. There is a certain energy and vibe associated with live entertainment that is unmatched in any other media form. Sure you could download a song recorded live or listen to a YouTube video like the one featuring Alicia Keys singing Empire State of Mind solo. Oh, it's great for sure and, if you wear headphones, the bar for realism is raised. Still not like being there though. No matter, I will listen to it again! It's inspiring.
But, there are ways to have real live entertainment without costing a fortune. When was the last time you attended a concert, play, comedy night, or even a ball game? I'm betting that was a great time. Even if the event didn't live up to your expectations, you got out there in the thick of things, and maybe created a memory, or at least had something else to talk about with your friends.
With things becoming more expensive though, it is harder to plan for events that are more costly and not particularly considered a necessity by most people. Yet that does not take away the desire to have a day fun or a special evening with friends or family. So here are 5 ways you can get live entertainment without spending a lot of money:
1) One way is to check out event calendars of local colleges in your area. They often have concerts being performed by their bands and orchestras, as well as some professionals for much less than typical concerts. Plays are also put on by drama departments too. Sometimes colleges will have a combination of the departments with hotel services for overnight stays, delicious menus provided by restaurant management majors, and play put on by the fine arts or drama department. Trust me, these events can be very enjoyable and well worth every penny because the students are making their grades and in some cases seeking job opportunities for their work. Plus, you get to go to college this time just for the fun of it.
2) Another way is get to local festivals and carnivals in your hometown or neighboring states. You can get the whole family out or spend the day with a friend. Enjoy the sunshine and wonderful smells in the air from your favorite carnival foods from popcorn to cotton candy. Many times you will see such a wide variety of people, foods, and music. It could be anything from Blue Grass to Jazz to Country. It is better if you keep an open mind and just enjoy because the entertainment is free, and you might be getting a chance to explore something new instead of what you always listen to.
3) Invite friends over to your home for a backyard concert. Tell them all they are welcome and to bring their talent with them. The last one of these we went to was so good, it felt like we were at a big-name concert. The patio or deck can serve as the stage, and have everyone bring lawn chairs or blankets for seating. You can have friends bring simple party dishes to share. Keeping it simple will make for less work and more enjoyment for the host. Depending on the season, you could have a fire pit going. Keep drinks cold in a large tub so all can serve themselves. It works really well and I don't need to say more about the vibe here.
4) Attend open air concerts held in the community like the ones held at Penn's Landing in PA. These are sometimes held at beaches, harbors, and lakes because the setting is so pretty and makes for natural acoustics. These events are often held as benefits or charities. This is a great way to give to a worthy cause and have a nice time too.
5) For sports fans, you can take in a local sporting event. Now you do know that you're not going up into Camden Yards, Staples Center, or the New Orleans Superdome for next to nothing right? But you can go to most local league games for free. Minor league baseball tickets also go cheap and usually the concessions stands won't leave you sitting there with an empty hole where your wallet used to be.
So I guess the point of it all is really to get out and enjoy live entertainment more on a budget-friendly tip. These are really simple pleasures that may still be within our reach.
More by this Author
Writing this hub about the camellia gave me a chance to explore this flower's history, folklore, symbolism, blooming season, varieties, and propagation techniques but mostly its striking beauty. The appeal of the...
Eye strain has become such a common problem due to overuse, but it is really easy to get quick relief using these 7 simple tips. Check them out here. Relaxation for your overworked eyes could literally be just a blink...