Google or Bing - Which is More Racist?
Okay, MAYBE that title is a little misleading.
How many times have you went to your favorite search engine of choice, with the auto-complete on, and been thoroughly surprised? You start typing and “Wait, you mean people search for these things?”
In a nutshell, auto-complete works in the same way that Google search does: the most popular and relevant results are at the top of the page. So basically what auto-complete is showing you is the most searched for topics starting with the few characters you have entered.
Easy enough, right? Sure. But an unintended consequence of this is that when you put in certain phrases, you can see how HORRIBLY RACIST AND UNINFORMED people are in general.
So this was my experiment:
1) Start with an innocuous first couple of words. The phrase for this experiment is “Why are…”
2) Create a list of equal opportunity races, religions, and sexes, and enter them after #1. The list is:
a. White people
b. Black people
3) Enter into both Google and Bing
4) Laugh a lot at how horrible people on the internet are.
5) Highlight my favorite (i.e., most offensive, or most ridiculous) and take a screenshot.
For future reference: The Google results will be listed first, then Bing.
Got it? Good. Here we go!
So what do you think? Are Google users more racist than Bing users? Do Bing users have a weirder view of their world than Googlers?
The World May Never Know ©
Or, tell me what you think in the comments ©
That last part should NOT be copyrighted….
Who do you think is more racist?See results without voting
If you like this, check out:
- Juxtaposition: Apparently Important
- Meme Monday - Sheltering Suburban Mom
Do you like funny things? Do you have a mom? .....Oh, you don't, on either account? Well, this is awkward. Anyway, here's an article that's a thing.
- Meme Monday - Anti-Joke Chicken
A hard-hitting, comprehensive look at some popular memes today, Anti-Joke Chicken. Or, you know, just a bunch of examples...
More by this Author
My review of the 2010 movie Rubber. It is about Robert, a psychic tire that can blow things up with it's mind, and falls in love. No, really,
Want to watch a Tarantino movie, but not so great? Then check out Bunraku!
A "found footage" film, in Norwegian, about trolls, and the hunter and film crew that find them. If you aren't interested in this movie already, I'm not interested in you.
No comments yet.