Guitar Lesson • Pipeline • The Chantays • Arranged For Two Guitars • Chords, Melody, Theory, Videos
The author of these hubs offers guitar lessons worldwide via SKYPE.
For more info please email: email@example.com
To purchase the PDF copy, please follow this link:
- Learning Blues Guitar | distribly.com
I have been teaching guitar professionally since 1992, when Don’t Fret Guitar Instruction was established. Over the years, I have taught countless students (beginners to advanced) how to play or improve their chops. Past students include four members
More Guitar Lessons
- Jazz Guitar • Chord Substitution Chart
- Jazz Guitar • Misty (Modal Breakdown, Chord Chart, Melody, Chord Melody)
- Jazz Guitar • Moon River
- Jazz Guitar • Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams
- Jazz Guitar • God Bless The Child
- Blues Guitar • The Blues Scale
- Blues Guitar • The Combination Scale
- Blues Guitar • Pinky Patterns • Part 1
- Blues Guitar • The Mighty Pentatonic Scale
- The Pentatonic Scale For Guitar • Five Box Patterns, Solos, Melodies, Video Guitar Lessons
- Blues Guitar Solo • Pentatonic Soloing • Part 1 • Chords, Tab Video Lessons
- Blues Guitar Solo • Pentatonic Soloing • Part 2 • Chords, Tab Video Lessons
- Blues Guitar Solo • Pentatonic Soloing • Part 3 • Chords, Tab Video Lessons
- Blues Guitar Solo • Pentatonic Soloing • Part 4 • Chords, Tab Video Lessons
- Blues Guitar Solo • Pentatonic Soloing • Part 5 • Chords, Tab Video Lessons
- Runaway Train • Chords, Strumming Pattern, Tab, Videos, Play Along Track • Soul Asylum
- You Belong With Me • Chords, Strumming Pattern, Tab, Videos, Play Along Track • Taylor Swift
- Beginner Guitar • The Fifteen Essential Open Chords
- Beginner Guitar • Barre Chords
- Home • Phillip Phillips • Chords, Picking Pattern, Tab
- One Thing • Chords, Strumming Pattern, Tab • One Direction
"Pipeline" - This is the greatest surf instrumental of all time, in my humble opinion. No surf music collection is complete without this song.
Pipeline is a very popular 'surf song' from 1962, originally done by The Chantays, and later covered by many artists, including Johnny Thunders, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dick Dale, The Eagles, and The Ventures. The working name for the song was Liberty's Whip, before being changed to Pipeline. The song was used as the entrance theme for the Edmonton Oiler's hockey team during the 1980s and 90's, 'pipeline' acting as a pun for the oil industry. The tune made it number four on the billboard charts.
Melody • Guitar One
The melody is based in the key of G Major-Em, same as the chord progression. Since the melody and the chord progression have more of a minor sound, the scale would be E natural minor the most part. The modal name for this scale is E Aeolian. Each note of the major scale generates a new scale, with a different intervallic structure. There are modal names for each scale. Aeolian is the sixth mode of the major scale and, in this case, is simply E to E an octave higher in the G Major scale.
Scale spelling is:
E, F♯, G, A, B, C, D, E.
It is STILL the major scale, but because of the way the notes are arranged, it has a totally different (sad) sound. Think of each mode as an entirely different scale, separate from the Major scale, to really appreciate the change in the sound.
The inclusion of D♯ in the second part of the verse, takes the E natural minor (Aeolian) into the Harmonic minor scale.
Scale spelling is:
E, F♯, G, A, B, C, D♯, E (the only difference being, the D♯ replacing the D natural).
This one note change in the scale adds an entirely different sound to it. Very exotic sounding. The Harmonic minor scale fits well over the chord (B), because the third interval of B Major is D♯.
Once again, some of the melody (especially the bridge), may not be exactly the same as the original recording, but it works well and sounds great!
Rhythm • Guitar Two
The intervals (notes) for G Major-E minor are:
G, A, B, C, D, E, F♯, G.
Harmonization of these notes into triads results in the chords:
G Major, A minor, B minor, C Major, D Major, E minor, F♯ diminished, and back to G Major.
Some of the chords have been broken into very cool sounding 'riffs' (a short group of repeating notes), played on the bass strings of the guitar, usually with heavy 'palm muting' (a technique, where the palm of the pick hand is placed across the strings to dampen the sound, rather than letting the strings ring together). The E minor and A minor chords are played in this manner, as well as the 'power chords' in the bridge section (although this part sounds better without palm muting).
The notes outlining the E minor chord, form the minor triad:
E, G, B (the first, minor third, and fifth).
The same with A minor:
A, C, E (these notes being the first, minor third, and fifth of the A minor chord).
Since the tempo is fast, these passages are easier to execute with strict alternate picking (downstroke, followed by an upstroke).
I have written out the entire arrangement. Follow the repeat markings, or refer to the video for the arrangement. Most recordings have a different placement for the verses and bridge. Also, I may have taken some liberties with the chord progression in the bridge, but this is the way I have always played it, and it sounds great!
Pipeline Guitar One
Pipeline • Guitar Two with Guitar One
Play Along Track
There is a two bar drum intro, then four more bars before the melody guitar enters.
Play Along Backing Track
More by this Author
- 9Jazz Guitar Lessons • Jazz Chord Substitution Part One • Stormy Monday Variations • Chords, Charts, Theory, Videos
A standard 3 chord blues progression, reharmonized to form a jazz version. Stormy Monday Substitutions. Chords, tab, video. High quality, accurate transcriptions. In depth theory and videos
- 0Rock Guitar Lessons • Hotel California • The Eagles • Guitar Solos, Complete Chord Chart, Strumming Pattern, Videos
Hotel California Chords • The Eagles • Chords, lyrics, strumming pattern, SOLOS, video. High quality transcriptions, in-depth theory explanations, video examples.
The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire) arranged for guitar. Chords, tab, melody. Includes: in-depth theory explanations, some insightful playing tips, videos and high quality, accurate transcriptions of...