Hen Night Novelties - How to Have a Brilliant Hen Night
The phrase 'Hen Night' is used in the UK and Australia. It comes from America's term 'Bachelorette Party' meaning last night of freedom. From the start o the 2000s in America, they have had Bachelorette planning services who plan everything for the night out. For more information look at Wikipedia's description of a Bachelorette Party .
Whether it's a weekend away or a night out, no Hen Party is complete without a few accessories and novelties along the way. Hen Night parties are a great way to celebrate your last night of freedom and an excuse for a party! In this hub you will find many top quality products and advice on how to get your party started.
Hen Night Party Themes
Why not choose a theme for your Hen Night? It's a great way to get all of your party involved, and will make it clear you are girls on a mission. There are so many different themes to choose from but if you need some inspiration take a look at some of my suggestions below.
What theme should I choose?
- Heaven and Hell - For this the Bride to be could be an angel and all her guests devils, or vice versa.
- Naughty and Nice - This can be achieved by the bride being a convict (prisoner of love) and her guests being policewoman.
- Bugs - This is a popular theme. The bride should be the Queen Bee and her followers could be ladybirds.
- Naughty Schoolgirls - Stockings, skirt, shirt, tie and straw boater and your outfit is complete!
- Naughty Nurses - A great theme and very easy to put together with a few accessories or a complete outfit
- Cleopatra and her hand-maidens - Fairly self-explanatory, with outfits as elaborate or simple as you wish.
There is no need to splash out on buying complete costumes and themed accessories if you rather not, Head boppers are a great, fun and low-cost way to celebrate your hen night.
Head boppers come on a flexible headband to make them comfortable and easy to were, there are many types available to purchase and the selection is ever growing,
Head boppers come with a variety of slogans for all of your hen night party guests. Take a look at some of the variations you can have:
- Bride to Be
- Mother of the Bride
- Mother of the Groom
- Chief Bridesmaid
- Hen Night party
- Girls night out
- Willie Head Boppers.
Wings, Wands & Tiaras
Do you want your party group to stand out on your hen night? A good, easy way to do this is by purchasing some Wings, Wands and Tiaras. The selection of styles that are available are growing constantly and are becoming ever more popular for nights out.
Whether you are looking to be a fairy or a bumblebee the choice among the styles is increasing.
Styles Of Wings, Wands and Tiaras Available
- Bumblebee - The bumblebee wings are available separately and also within a set that includes head boppers. There are also many styles of Bumblebee costumes available.
- Butterfly - The wings for butterflies are really pretty, with many different colours and styles available.
- Fairy - There are many different styles of wings that can be used for a fairy, they come in a selection of colours including, white, pink and even black for a bad witch or fairy look. The variety of wands is also huge, from silver and gold budget plastic to padded material deluxe ones. The tiaras that are available on the market is again growing, tiaras that are available range from budget plastic to metal bridal looking tiaras.
- Angel - Every angel needs beautiful wings and a halo. You can really elaborate with huge white feathered wings or a little tamer with smaller white wings. A good tip here is if you have a padded material wand, put a little slit in the material and fill it up with glitter, every time you wave your wand your glitter will twinkle out and will look fantastic!
- Bat - A great idea for Halloween. A set of black wings and a black eye-mask, you have an outfit for not a lot of money. The wings in black come in a netted style and also feathered, with many more being added.
- Ladybird - The wings for lady birds come individual and as a set with head boppers, there are also many styles of lady bird costumes available to purchase.
- Dragonfly - The dragonfly wings are elegant and beautiful, with a range of styles you can choose from, if you're feeling creative how about having a go and designing your own pair?
- Devil - Another good one for Halloween, again the Halloween selection is expanding extensively. Its just getting better and better.
Make your own wings
- How to make your own wings
Feeling creative? How about making your own wings.
Hen Night Costumes
Do you want to stand out on your night out? If the answer is yes, why not go the whole way and dress up in a complete fancy dress outfit and you will be sure to turn a few heads.
The range of short and sexy costumes on the market has gone through a huge transformation. There is now a huge range for you to choose from. We have found the following costumes to be the most popular for hen nights:
- Bumble Bees
- Police Women
- Nuns - always a good choice for a laugh!
Luckily, the sizing has undergone a re-think: Previously some costumes would only have fitted an average size 8, but costumes are now available in a range of sizes to make them more wearable for those of us who require a larger size! These costumes are designed to be tight fitting and are not for the faint-hearted. Have a look for more Sexy Fancy Dress on our main website.
Adult Novelty Items.
Do you want to make the blushing bride really blush? Then the range of adult novelty item's and accessories is the way forward. From daring dice and pink fluffy handcuffs, to blow-up men, we have it all. We feel some of our range is a bit saucy to be displayed on this hub-page, but go to our site to see our full range of Novelty items, - please keep an open mind!
Why not purchase some willy straws to sip your cocktails? How about making up your own dare list that the bride has to follow throughout the night, and tick them off one by one as each task is complete. Or why not make up a special box full of games and novelties to keep the whole party entertained from start till finish?
Always remember that some of those in your pary may not be as broad minded as others - have fun, but try not to offend anybody, especially when out in public. This is especially important if you are abroad and in a country where 'rules' about behaviour may be different.
What do you need to buy in advance?
You need to make the 'Bride to Be' look and feel special. This is her night and she deserves to look fantastic and to be noticed. Some accessories that are available are:
- Head Boppers,
- 'L' Plates
If you are planning on having the party at someone's house, will you be providing food or nibbles? If so, have you thought about how many people will be there? Has anyone got any allergies? Will it be bring a bottle, or are you supplying the drink?
Planning The Perfect Hen Night
Okay, you have been asked to plan the perfect hen night for the Bride To Be. Hopefully, it will be a night that the bride will not forget in a hurry, for all the right reasons!
There is no need to panic and get stressed out, remember you have to enjoy this night out as well. Follow our straight forward guide and you will be on the road to a perfect Hen Night Party...
Things That You Will Need to Think About.
- Where will you be holding the celebration?
- Who will be invited?
- What would the Bride To Be really want?
- What do you need to book or buy in advance?
Where Will You Be Holding The Celebration?
There are a few different options here.
- Book a venue such as a club - This will need to be booked in advance. Make sure that you advise on booking that it is a Hen Night (some venues will not accept hen or stag groups). Do they object to novelty items such as head boppers or hats being worn? Hen Night novelty items used to be a bit trashy, this I am please to say has changed and the novelties do not need to be explicit. Is there an age limit? What time can you get in and what time does the bar close? How much will it cost (meal?). Will transport need to be arranged? How much will this cost? Think of the group and what they would be able to afford.
- Hold the Party at someone's house - Will there be enough space? Are there neighbours who will need to be considered in respect of parking or noise level. Are they prepared for the mess? Will people sleep over, if yes, where will they sleep?
- Go away for a weekend/week - This has become more popular in recent years. Always keep the group of people who will be attending in mind. Do they have enough holiday left to take? Will they be able to afford it? Have they all got a current passport (if going abroad)? Do they all want to go away for a few days / week, have they got dogs or children to think about. This may seem like a great option but it is very difficult to arrange. Also bear in mind, as we've said before, that if you are travelling abroad, not all countries (or their inhabitants) are as broad-minded as in this country and that it is impotant to do not unwittingly break any laws or cause offence with outrageous costumes or unruly behaviour.
Who Will You Invite To The Party?
A good starting point is to ask the Bride To Be for a list of her friends and their contact numbers. Check if there is anyone that she doesn't want to attend as well as this could cause a problem if the 'long lost friend' who you have tracked down was 'long lost' for a good reason!
Thinking about the type of people who will be attending may also influence the type of Hen Night it will be. Great Aunt Mable and The Mother of The Groom may not appreciate taking part in drinking games wearing saucy head boppers! Sometimes it is easier to have 2 celebrations, a quiet meal in a restaurant for the older generation and a 'no holds barred' affair for the younger group.
Some venues may offer discount prices for over a certain number of guests where others may have a limit on how many people you can bring - always check well in advance.
What Would The Bride Want?
We all have friends who love being the centre of attention and would think nothing of standing on a table and dancing - but is this what the Bride-To-Be is like? What type of evening does she normally like? She needs to have happy memories of her hen night, not think of it as a nightmare. What she would want from her final night of freedom must be your first consideration.
Some people would just love a group of friends to join up for a meal and a drink, others would enjoy a weekend away in Benidorm. Ask your Bride if there are any definite No No's, such as a stripper or getting dressed up. Get this wrong and you may have just lost your friendship!
Organising a Hen Night is a privilege but do take a bit of time and really think about what your Bride would really want.
More by this Author
Props & Frocks is a major source of costumes for all occasions, not just Halloween. However as it is the one time of the year where people may face the challenge of having to dress up (whether they like it or not),...
Although tailcoats are often associated with historical fashion, the brighter, colourful designs now available can offer a range of excellent cosuming opportunities.
For a costume based on the letter "C," this is a concise yet comprehensive collection of candidates for your consideration, including costumes based off of celebrities and characters. "C" you soon!