Hip-Hop? Not! - World Choir Games 2012 in Cincinnati: Singing Together to Bring Nations Together
©2011 - 2012. Patty Inglish - Film, Literary and Music Critic. All rights reserved.
Hip Hop Up or Down?
Culture According to Billboard
I receive a daily email from Billboard Magazine about music genres and listening trends. Rap and Hip Hop music are popular, but the Top Songs on the Hot 100 charts are a mixture of genres.
If you look at YouTube, however, for the most-watched music videos, here is what you find today (March 4, 2011) and I note that the lineup has not changed since yesterday. The Top Song is not Hip-Hop, but Number Two is of that genre.
Acapella Music is increasingly popular in the world and it tackles all styles of music. By the time the 2012 Cincinnati World Choir Games arrive, we might be hearing some Hip-Hop in the competition.
- Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) (The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Theme Song) Video by Shakira featuring Freshlyground. Pop. International Theme Song. From 9 months ago 311,071,957 views
- Love The Way You Lie. Eminem and Rihanna Hip Hop. from 7 months ago 298,118,709 views. NOTE: I expect this one to bypass Waka Waka the farther away we tr5avel in time form the World Cup.
- Eminem - Not Afraid. Hip Hop; from 9 months ago. 207,776,536 views
- Justin Bieber - Never Say Never. Pop. From 9 months ago. 161,949,273 views
- Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend. Pop. 1 year ago. 143,617,673 views
- Rihanna - Rude Boy. Ragga, dancehall, ska. 1 year ago.| 139,839,410 views
- Rihanna - Don't Stop The Music. Dance-pop. 1 year ago. 137,791,987 views
- Lady Gaga - Just Dance. Pop. 1 year ago. 133,820,396 views
- Rihanna - What's My Name? Electro - R&B. 3 months ago. 133,139,758 views
- Katy Perry - Firework. Pop. 4 months ago. 132,952,378 views
- Miley Cyrus - The Climb. Pop. 2 years ago. 129,627,669 views
I pulled the Top 11 most-watched videos, because I expect Waka Waka to slow down in views, because it was an International Theme Song, much like the songs of the Olympics past. It will decline in popularity, but even if it remains a top video, it is a special case for 2010.
If we eliminate the Number One Music Video in views as a special one time case in 2010, then Hip Hop numbers account for 2 out of 10 or 20% of the Top 10 Videos viewed. If we leave the #1 song in and elminate #11, we still arrive at the same results:20% are Hip Hop. This shows a certain popularity of Hip Hop on Youtube, but not a take-over of the genre. Individually, Rhianna is the winner, with appearances in 4 numbers.
Going on into the next 10 most-watched videos, you start finding parody numbers like pop singer Venetian Princess's Outer Space (Lady Gaga's Poker Space). That might surprise some modern music lovers.
- Top 5 Hot Best-Selling Music Genres
What is the most popular type of music in America? During the last week of each year, radio stations ready their Top 100 Hits for the ending twelve months. Radio stations specializing in genres from Classical...
COMPARISON: December 4, 2011 YouTube Views
Most Popular on This Mid-Day Are:
- Sexy And I Know It - LMFAO -- 147,084,636 accumulated views - HIP HOP!
- Marry the Night - Lady Gaga -- 6,771,106 views since December 2, 2011
- Someone Like You - Adele -- 54,104,119
- Rolling In the Deep - Adelle -- 179,907,265
- We Found Love - Rihanna - 66,410,963
- Party Rock Anthem - LMFAO -- 307,020,702 accumulated views since March 8, 2011
- Fa La La -- Justin Beiber -- 8,907,425 views - 2011 Christmas Video
- Moves Like Jagger - Maroon 5 -- 63,439,692
- Rain Over Me - Pitbull with Marc Anthony -- 176,309,629
- Danza Kudoro -- Don Omar -- 270,361,871
Parodies and Covers
Parodies are becoming extremely popular in the 2010s. Venetian Princess has recorded over a dozen parodies of pop singers' work, complete with signature costumes. Others have done this as well. Other growing vocal genres today include the choir and acapella group, both showcased in reality shows. One of the best covers of Lady Gaga's Bad Romanceis done by the male acapella group On the Rocks at the University of Oregon - go Ducks! Listen to them at the link below and follow them on Facebook and Twitter. The Sing Offtelevision reality competition show has given acapella music a boost around the world.
Best College Acapella Groups
- Top 15 Best Hot Jobs to 2020 in Eugene, Home of "Sin...
Downtown Eugene, Oregon Eugene, Oregon experienced an influx of interest when their University of Oregon men's A Capella choral group On The Rocks did well in national competition for 2010. They went on to...
Best World Choirs
- Top 10 Charts: World Choirs
USA has only 3 spots out of the Top 70. How about 2012?
World Choir Games 2012
High school, colleges, and community choirs have risen in members and interest in the last few decades, thanks to television highlights and contests. Following the trend in Europe, Columbus OH has its own Complaints Choir that sings its complaints to the city at special performances.
"Singing together to bring nations together"
Founded in 2000, the 7th World Choir Games (Choir Olympics) is very popular and is held every two years. In 2012, it will meet in Cincinnati, Ohio from July 4 - July 14, 2012. This is an event for amateur choirs of all types from around the world. This includes any country, race, ethnicity, and music genre. All are welcomed and this is the largest choir event globally. Cincinnati, which has undergone some extra reconstruction to handle the Games and the influx of visitors will be packed!
The musical event is particularly exciting, because 2012 is the first year that it has been held in the USA. It is expected to increase the popularity of choir singing in America and that of any particularly well-received genres during the event. These games offer Competition, Non-Competition events, Festival Performances, and Special Events. If you have a choir, want to start one, or want to visit Cincinnati and listen to at least 30,000 singers, please come to Ohio in July 2012!
Ohio - Rock 'n' Roll in Cleveland, Choirs in Cincinnati
- World Choir Games 2012 - Cincinnati: interkultur.com
- A Winter With Flying Pigs - Top 10 Best Places in Ci...
The Flying Pig is the local sidewalk art project in Cincinnati, Ohio. Columbus had fancy ears of corn all over town for awhile, a permanent field of concrete corn in the northwest sector, and multi-costumed...
- Top 10 Rock and Roll Songs of The 1950s
Music historians have often credited Bo Diddley with being the foundation of Rock and Roll; here are 10 top classics based on some of his work, along with a few others...
Tibute to Pop: Sheryl Crow at the White House. Jackson 5 Number still hot after 42 years , 2011
- YouTube - CrowVideoTV3's Channel
Video Archive #3 devoted to Sheryl Suzanne Crow. This channel is focused on live performances, news and rare footages. Sheryl Suzanne Crow - b. Feb 11, 1962 in Kennett, Missouri (USA) Singer, songwriter, pianist, guitarist, activist. GENRES: pop, roc
More by this Author
For fun, a HubPages Question requested songs with the word MONEY in the title. How many can you remember? Add them to the comments.
You may have noticed that many vocal groups are named after foods and beverages. Meat Loaf is one of my favorites. What is your favorite Food Group?
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.