Horror Movie Cliches
Horror Film Cliches
Horror movie cliches can be a tiresome thing that can become predictable within the genre of horror films and they also become noticeable when they are blindingly obvious, to some people, this annoys, but to others, it is a gem of every horror movie!
What cliches are you thinking that I am thinking of? well it's all the obvious ones like....
1. It's dark and there is a noise in the unseen shadows, don't go and investigate everyone cries, but no they don't listen to us or what normal people would do, instead they go and try to find out who closed a door or accidentally knocked the edge of a chainsaw against a door and they ultimately die or are chased and then they get killed....booo to the investigating Sherlocks!
2. He's behind you! this is a classic cliche, were our hapless heroes or in some cases the characters we don't like Yay! are walking around slowly because the boogeyman or whoever is out to get them, but as the viewers we are in on it and he's behind you, don't turn around, no wait do turn around, cos you're dead, oh well.
3. A character is running very fast away from the monster or Michael Myers serial killer type, whilst the bad guy is walking they still seem to catch up to the victim or find some kind of secret short cut that is off camera and then the victims are deader than a door nail, Friday the 13th used this trick alot back in the 80's.
4. It's all teenagers! if there is horror to be had, then teenagers are are having a horrible time of it, from Friday the 13th, to Halloween and Scream to I know What You Did Last Summer and Final Destination too, occasionally there is some older folk in the horror films, but the majority of the cast is teenagers for some unknown reason.
5. Cliched character types, you always get one bad one in the group who are about to get sliced and diced and quite often they always put the others in danger to try and save their own skin, other cliched character types include a hard as nails dark haired goth lass who is in tune with horror or a dumb Blondie who drops her knick knacks(which is a good cliche now I think about it!) and then gets killed while her boobies wobble!
6. The hero is always allowed enough time to do the right thing and either kill the bad dudes or creatures and often it's the bad dudes that let em, crazy eh?
7. Depressing ending, this is fast becoming a predictable ending that is good sometimes, but other times it just pisses me off when a film ends like this, or when a film ends good like in Hostel, but then in Hostel Part 2 it was all for nought. Endings that are abrupt are another cliche that I despise, often it's the horror of the situation that you are left with to think about, but in the sense of a movie you feel that you want to have some form of conclusion to satisfy your viewing experience.
What other horror movie cliches can you think of?
Horror Film Reviews
- Horror Movie Reviews: Land Of The Dead
Land of the Dead a follow up zombie film from the master of zombie horror George A Romero.
- Horror Movie Reviews: Daywatch
Horror movie review of Daywatch, a russian vampire end of the world apocalypse films that falls kind of flat.
- Horror Movie Review Jason Goes To Hell
Jason goes to hell apparently, the 9th instalment of the Friday The 13th movie saga which attempts to explain how he has escaped death for all these years.
- Horror Movie Reviews: Drag Me To Hell
Drag me to hell a gypsy curse and 3 days to break it or go to hell kicking and screaming. movie review.
- Horror Movie Reviews - Silent Hill
Silent Hill a video game adapted into a movie, read the film review.
- Horror Movie Reviews: The Descent Part 2
The Descent Part 2 picks up right where the first Descent film left off and continues the story with the underground cave creatures.
- Horror Movie Reviews: Doghouse
Horror film review of the cult classic Doghouse featuring women zombies aplenty.
- Horror Film Reviews Paranormal Activity
Paranormal Activity film review of a freaky haunting film that seemed quite real.
- Horror Film Reviews: 30 Days Of Night
30 days of night, a vampire horror film which originally was a great graphic novel, is now a great horror film.
- Horror Film Reviews: Cabin Fever 2
Horror film review of Cabin Fever 2 Spring Fever which looked ok in the trailer but not so good when you watch it....
- Horror Film Review: My Bloody Valentine Movie Review
My bloody valentine a good slasher horror with a pick axe and especially good in 3D!
- Horror Film Reviews: Mirrors Starring Kiefer Sutherl...
Mirrors a quite good remake of a japanese film into the mirror. Mirrors was one of them films that I was pleasantly surprised by as it was actually quite good and starring Kefer Sutherland in which you...
- Horror Film Reviews: The Haunting In Connecticut
Haunting in connecticut. the picture is supposed to be the ghosts ectoplasm, but it sorta looks like a turd. Whenever a film begins with the claim that it was based on true events, I always take notice, for...
- Horror Film Reviews: Splinter
Splinter A Damn Fine Horror Film brings back warm infected memories of John Carpenter's The Thing. Just watched this film recently and thought it was great and rather gory too...excellent! Now this film...
- Horror Film Reviews: Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans
Rise Of The Lycans - A prequel to the other Underworld films. The third film in the underworld franchise goes back and serves as a prequel to the first two underworld films and it explains some of the back...
Horror Movie DVDs To Buy From Amazon
More by this Author
How to draw a demon, right through the demonic head and the body, with a few demon head drawing examples.
Top 10 niche markets to create yourself an online business with, see which of these ten niche ideas you really can start an internet business with.
How to draw a demon face step by step tutorial. Looking at a demonic face to draw, hopefully this will inspire you to draw your own demon face and create something cool.