How To Grow A Herb Garden
Grow Your Own Herb Garden
Container Gardening: Container Herb Garden
Herb Gardening Tips : Herb Garden Growing Tips
Growing a Basic Herb Garden
How To Grow Herbs
Grow Your Own Herb Garden
While you can now find some fresh herbs in grocery stores you still can not get the quality of herbs you can get if you grow them yourself. Plus when you grow them yourself you can control what is put on your herbs as far as pesticides and etc. You can also grow the herbs you want and have a great time doing it. If your not careful you might also get some exercise. And one really great thing is you will know your herbs are fresh because you will be picking them from your garden.
Here's a great way to get started with your herb garden. Make a list of those herbs you use on a regular basis and check to see which of those can be grown easily in your garden. With some of these you will be able to buy them at your local garden supply store as young plants or seedlings. Others you may have to buy seeds either at your local garden supply store , from a seed catalog or on line.
Read the labels and instructions that come with your plants or seeds and follow them carefully. You should also follow these instructions carefully as far as planting them and how to prepare the soil for planting them. Keep in mind how big your herb plants will get and where you want to plant them in your herb garden. Be sure you plan your herb garden in a area where there is going to be plenty of sun and you want to be able to get your garden hose to your herb garden in case you need to water it.
Once you have your herb garden planned out and know exactly where you want to plant your herbs prepare your soil and get ready to plant your plants. Set your plants out either very early in the morning before the sun is up or after the sun has set. Be sure to give your plants plenty of water when you set them out to prevent any shock.
Now comes the fun part of watching them grow and while they are growing they will need attention from time to time. You will want to make sure that you keep the weeds and grass out of your herb garden and that you water as often as needed. In return for taking care of them you will have some of the most delicious herbs you will ever eat.
Herb Garden Tips And Information
1. With your basil you don't want to let it flower or it will not bush out and produce as much leafy material as it normaly would. Simply give your basil a hair cut often and you will have all the basil you want.
2. Only cut your herb plants when they are dry. Resist the urge to cut or harvest them when the plant is wet or you could spread disease through your plants.
3. Plant your peppermint or mint in a container to prevent it spreading where you do not want it to go.
4. Most of your herb plants will want rich soil to grow in so you will want to add organic materials before you plant your herb garden. You can buy for instance ( Black Cow ) Manure in bags at your local garden store.
5. Be sure to lay your herb garden out so that taller plants go to the back and shorter plants go to the front.
6. Really the only insect pests you will have to worry about are red spider mites and aphids. If you find either in your herb garden mix a little castile soap in water and spray your plants down with it. It will take care of your problems quickly.
7. Remember its best to use your herbs before they flower for the best tasting and most fragrant herbs. Cut your herbs off in long sprigs and dry them hanging upside down in a garden shed or basement.
Herb Garden Business Ideal
You could with only a small amount of space start a herb garden for profit. Raise your herbs and dry and package them. You'll be able to sell them to your area resturants , health food stores , your local farmers market and flea markets. If you can do a good job of drying and packaging them in no time at all you could build up a great business and make some good money which would for sure come in handy.
Why Not Post Your Comments About Herb Gardens Below
More by this Author
Mosquitoes Need Water So Get Rid Of All Standing Water In Your Yard Kill Those Little Bllod Suckers Luckily only 50% of the mosquitoes world wide suck human blood. The female mosquito needs the protein from human...
Healing Soups From Around The World My Grandmother had her own special chicken soup recipe for when we got the cold or the sniffles. In case your wondering her wonderful recipe for chicken soup is here on this hub...
If you want to know exactly how to grow a vegetable garden here is all the information you will ever need.