How to Sing Like Kurt Cobain
Kurt Cobain was the lead singer of nirvana an influential band in the 90s. They are responsible for popularizing the term grunge music. Kurt Cobain’s singing can be described as screaming, harmonic and loud.
Kurt Cobain is also known for his singing style; although not the typical type of singer he managed to capture a worldwide audience and sell of 50 million records; since the 90s.
- Sing with attitude. Kurt Cobain sang with a lot of emotion that is why you often see him closing his eyes while singing. He ranges from high to low notes depending on the message of the song
- Insinuate meaningful words. Kurt Cobain screams out some works in many of his songs to identify their importance. An example in Pennyroyal tea he screams ‘I’m so tired I can’t sleep!!’
- Don’t try to be perfect. Kurt always had very few takes when recording songs. It gives a raw energy to the sound of grunge.
- Push your limits. He went outside his vocal range in lake of fire to take the challenge of the song.
- Make your vocal raspy. He had a raspy growl to his voice when he pushed himself try and achieve that.
- Scream! And Go Quiet- Sometimes you just have to scream like Kurt Cobain, he alternates between load and quiet in Smells Like Teen Spirit and it is one of the greatest songs of all time.
- Ride the emotion. Kurt changed his style drastically depending on the emotion of the song in something in the Way; it’s a near whisper during the song and Serve the Servants is much louder.
- Be original- Kurt Cobain is a great role model for singing but he was also very original; try to sound original while taking influence from his style
More by this Author
The height of the child is primarily determined by genetics but a healthy diet will help Genetics is primarily responsible for a child’s development. Good nutrition, exercise and sleep will help a child achieve...
No one can resist a lovely chocolate every now and then; here is the list of the top 14 most expensive chocolates in the world. So what makes these chocolates more expensive, well they are hand crafted by the...
Most people can enjoy a cold beer with friends; however, if you experience joint pain, it might be a symptom of alcohol intolerance. According to MayoClinic.com, a reaction to alcohol intolerance is immediate and...