Game of Thrones Quotes and Trivia
Season 5 finale of HBO's most addictive show "Game of Thrones", once again, didn't fail to wow the fans. Every episode is a mini masterpiece, but the last season was particularly intense, and the finale matched and even raised the intensity.
What's the secret of the show's success? Brilliant writing, talented cast, gruesome murder scenes? Whatever it is, we're all waiting impatiently for season 6 to start. In the meanwhile, lets snack on some interesting trivia about the show.
"A Dothraki wedding without three deaths is considered a dull affair." Magister Illyrio, Game of Thrones
- Before you make an emergency appointment with you hairdresser, consider the fact that Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen, "Khaleesi") has never dyed her hair for the role. This natural brunette is staying true to her roots (pun intended) and wearing a wig!
- It is a helluva wig though. Clarke confesses: "It's silly to say, but when I take the wig off at the end of the day, I'm rather disappointed when I look in the mirror."
- According to www.imdb.com, in 2012 over 160 mothers in the U.S. named their baby girls "Khaleesi" after Emilia Clarke's character. To those moms I say: What's wrong with naming your child "Emilia"?
- There is no Dothraki word for “thank you”, but there are plenty of words for "kill".
- "Fire and Blood" is the Targaryen family motto.
- Dragon is the symbol of the House Targaryen.
- Daenerys and her evil brother Viserys were supposed to have violet eyes. Several of the original first episodes were shot with the actors wearing violet contact lenses, but the producers decided that "actors act with their eyes, and [the contact lenses] really hurt the emotion."
- The names of Daenerys Targaryen' murdered niece and nephew are Rhaenys and Aegon.
- Daenerys Targaryen is told that she will be betrayed three times: for blood, for gold and for love.
- The three dragons' names are Drogon, Viserion and Rhaegal. Drogon is the largest of the bunch. He is also the bad boy who roasted a child in the season four finale.
"I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples, bastards, and broken things." Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones
- The official slogan of House Lannister is "Hear Me Roar!", not "A Lannister always pays his debts," which is usually mentioned on the show.
- King's landing is a real place - it's the city Dubrovnik in Croatia.
- The author of the book series A Song of Ice and Fire George R. R. Martin said to the actor Jack Gleeson who plays Joffrey: "Congratulations on your marvelous performance. Everyone hates you!" Maybe that had something to do with Gleeson's decision to stop acting and become a theologian. King Joffrey really was an evil prick, and everyone cheered when he died.
The Best of Tyrion Lannister - Game of Thrones, Season 1
- King Joffrey's sword was named Lion's tooth.
- Peter Dinklage was the only actor considered for the role of Tyrion Lannister. No one else even auditioned because the creators thought that Dinklage was "incredible".
- Prior to being cast as Tyrion Lannister on "Game of Thrones", Peter Dinklage played a number of secondary but memorable roles, including an appearance in an episode of "30 Rock" as Stewart, the United Nations "Commissioner of Water Temperature and Food Taint." Offset by her ticking maternity clock, comedy writer Liz Lemon mistakes Stewart for a kid, and then hits on him to cover it up. Stewart likes "aggressive women with a nerdy vibe" and agrees to go out with her, only to find out (eventually) that Liz is "baby crazy".
- In 2011 Peter Dinklage won the Golden Globe award and an Emmy for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series.
- In one of the most disturbing episodes of season four, Jaime Lannister rapes his sister-paramour in front of the corpse of their son Joffrey. This is something the filmmakers chose to add to the plot (to the dismay of many hardcore fans); in the book the sex is consensual, and Jaime and Cersei, as sick as they are, have a great deal of love and care for each other.
- When Jamie Lannister threw Bran Stark out a window for spying on him and Cersei, he said, "The things I do for love".
The Funniest Bad Lip Reading of Game of Thrones
- "Winter Is Coming" is the Stark family motto.
- A dire wolf is the symbol of the Stark family. Dire wolves were a real wolf species that lived 10,000 years ago. Their teeth could crush bones. The "dire wolves" portrayed in the show are Northern Inuit dogs and digitally enhanced regular wolves.
- One of the most heartbreaking episodes was the one where Sansa's wolf Lady was executed on Cersei Lannister's orders. Turns out, Sophie Turner who plays Sansa adopted the dog that played Lady - a Northern Inuit dog bred for their wolf-like looks.
- Arya Stark named her sword "Needle".
- Maisie Williams learned to sword-fight with her left hand to be true to her character, Arya Stark, who's supposed to be left-handed.
Which "Game Of Thrones" Character Are You? Quiz
- Which "Game Of Thrones" Character Are You?
Avoid Joffrey and you can call it a win. ..
- Catelyn Stark was Hermione Granger's mom in the Harry Potter series.
- All six Stark children had pet wolves. Their names are: Grey Wind, Lady, Nymeria, Summer, Shaggydog, Ghost.
- According to Jon Snow, the first lesson in sword fighting is: "Stick'em with the pointy end".
- What did Jaqen H'ghar promise Arya after she saved his life? To kill 3 people of her choosing.
- As the show goes forward, there are certain problems the creators are bound to run into. For example, the show catching up to the books. In other words, the episodes are made faster that the books are written.
- Another problem is, the child actors are growing up faster than their characters. For example, Maisie Williams was the same age as Arya when the show started, but "now Maisie is a young woman and Arya is still 11. Time is passing very slowly in the books and very fast in real life.”
Game of Thrones Board Game
© 2014 Lana Zakinov
More by this Author
Movies are great, except when you watch something so horrible, it disturbs you to the core and sears into your mind forever.
A collection of funny, witty, mind-boggling quotes about the Universe. Topics include: What Is Universe, Creation vs. Accident, and Alien Worlds.
A toxic mother-in-law is a soul-sucking parasite that feeds on your misery. If you've got one, here are the symptoms.