It's Showtime! First Grand Finals: An Awesome Event in Philippine Television
11th Finalist (GRAND CHAMPION) - XB GENSAN c/o PinayScandal2009
"This is your show, this is your time...IT'S SHOWTIME!!! After ten months of controversial and hilarious showcases of talents (dancing, acrobats, pantomime, black theatre, comedy, etc.) and judgment among the judges, the first season ended with a whooping 1 million pesos as the cash prize for the 1st grand champion! The grand finale of the first season was held last Saturday, July 24, 2010 at the Ynares Astrodome in Antipolo City, Rizal with thousands of crowd and supporters (Madlang People). All the evicted judges were present to judge the contest.
Showtime is the brainchild of TV director Bobet Vidanes of ABS-CBN Channel 2 that became the pasttime of Filipinos at home in the morning, 10:30 am weekdays.
The show is hosted by TV/Movie personalities, Vhong Navarro and Ann Curtis, along with Jugs (from the rock band Itchyworms), Teddy (from the rock band Rocksteddy), Kuya Kim Atienza (of Matanglawin) and the resident and inevictable judge Vice Ganda.
Every day, a TV buff can see three groups (usually consist of 10 members and more) competing for the price of 50 thousand pesos... plus one from the waiting list if approved by the judges. Every week, there will be a winner that will compete during monthly finals.Weekly and monthly finals are also 50 thousand pesos, espectively.
It is only the show in the Philippines that the audience decide the fate of the judges through written and text votes, whether they can last or be evicted every Saturday.
Unfortunately, Showtime was suspended due to a derogatory remarks of actress/judge Rosanna Roces pertaining to teachers, much to the detriment of MTRCB (Movie and Television Review Classification Board). It was replaced by MAGPASIKAT, also means 'showtime' or a month until the suspension period subsided.
Among the worthy judges that lasted for more than ten weeks are Andrew E. (the pioneer Filipino rapper), Gladys Reyes (movie/TV actress) and Jhong Hilario (former member of dance group Street Boys). Jhong is still alive and reached the 1st finals; he's also responsible for the "sample" presentation of judges everyday.
Showtime - Funny Eviction Day (4-17-2010) c/o xtelc
1st Finalist - KASIBULAN c/o PINASWATCH13
2nd Finalist - PERLAS NG SILANGAN c/o PINASWATCH13
3rd Finalist - MORTAL COMBAT & THE SHOWGAYS c/o PINASWATCH13
4th Finalist - BEAT GUYS c/o eerjoy
5th Finalist - SENSEI c/o PINASWATCH12
Grand Finalists of Showtime Season 1
- KASIBULAN - means 'growing stage'. The first grand finalist hails from Muntinlupa City. They're the first 'black theatre' group to be judged as the first monthly champion in October, 2009.
- PERLAS NG SILANGAN - the ancient name of the Philippines, meaning "Pearl of the Orient". The dance group came from Olongapo City and hailed as the 2nd monthly champion.
- MORTAL COMBAT& THE SHOWGAYS - tied up with 'Perlas ng Silangan' and the only gay group who grabbed a grand final slot. They hailed from Quezon City.
- BEAT GUYS - from Quezon City showcased dancing basketball coaches and players.
- SENSEI - means 'teacher' Nihonggo (Japanese language); the dance group from Roxas City, Capiz (Visayan Islands).
- SAVANNAH KIDS BALLROOM DANCERS - from Antipolo City amazed the audience with their dancing prowess.
- PHILIPPINE ISLAND ASSASINS - from Marikina City; the dance group who are favored to win by the auidience.
- ENLIGHTEN BLACK THEATER GROUP - from San Juan, Pangasinan who rivaled the prowess of Kasibulan.
- E-CREW from Paete. Laguna is the dance group known for promoting their livelihood in their place, known for their popular painters and sculptors.
- BOYZ UNLIMITED DANCERS - from Mangaldan, Pangasinan is the dance group favored by the ASAP, Sunday musical show in ABS-CBN.They're one of the wildcards.
- XB GENSAN - from General Santos City, Mindanao; a wildcard passer who grabbed the grand prize last Saturday, July 24th, 2010
There are many controversies that happened during the selection of these monthly winners. One of the most noted group, GRAFFITI DANCERS, was among the most adored groups but the show's coordinator decided not to include the group to avoid controversy.
Most groups came from the grassroots level of the Philippine society. Many don't have customes to don or shoes to buy, but they persevered.
Winners thanked the show for giving them chances to show their talents and skills in Philippine television, through ABS-CBN Channel 2 that also airs their shows on The Filipino Channel (TFC) worldwide.
6th Finalist - SAVANNAH KIDS BALLROOM DANCERS c/o PINASWATCH10
7th Finalist: Philippine Island Assasins (4-20-2010) c/o PINASWATCH10
8th Finalist: Enlighten Black Theater Group c/o bluegabz21
9th Finalist: E-Crew c/o T0KU30
10th Finalist: Boyz Unlimited Dancers c/o kickersboi
Showtime suspended by MTRCB due to Rosanna Roces' comment
More by this Author
Suddenly on a spotlight by acting a role of a lifetime. It's about faith, about family and the whole community in Philippine setting.
One the 10 Worst Computer Viruses that destroyed almost 10 billion computers worldwide is the I LOVE YOU VIRUS. It was the thesis project of a Filipino programmer named Onel de Guzman and his group who accidentally...
Some of early users of this coffee-saving tip gained an ample reduction in their electrical consumption. This is good news to the skyrocketing prices of electricity in the Philippines.