Johnny Depp Characters including Willy Wonka of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
American women and women all around the world know that Johnny Depp is good looking. Hopefully and more importantly we all also know that he is a gifted actor. If you are a fan of his work, you might have seen various television interviews where he appears and you might notice that he often downplays his sex symbol status. He seems to want people to ignore that status and focus on his talent. He has been in show business for a very long time, has a great work ethic and is also a family man with children and a partner of many years.
Johnny Depp has been known to be a bit disillusioned with the Hollywood prototype. He seems to be a maverick doing his work because he truly loves the art of acting beyond the frills and the scandals that celebrity often brings.
He knows that he is lucky to make an obscene amount of money for the type of work he does but it seems that his focus on his family and making their lives better can mitigate the frivolousness of it.
Entertaining and bringing joy to people all around the world has to count for something too doesn't it? So Johnny Depp's time and money made in the entertainment business has been quite purposeful.
I first became a fan of Johnny Depp's work on 21 Jumpstreet but going back to the idea that he appears to want people to focus on his talent and not his good looks, this hub is meant to focus on what a chameleon (figuratively AND literally) Johnny Depp has been in the the roles he plays.
It seems to be Johnny Depp's niche to often use heavy makeup and elaborate costumes that disguise the actor, the man and define and showcase the fictional character that he is playing.
Of course he doesn't always wear disguises when he acts but he often does, perhaps more so than any other famous actor that I could think of.
There was Jim Carey in The Grinch That Stole Christmas and The Mask, Brad Pitt in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight and many, many more. Nevertheless, when I think of actor who have used intensely disguising makeup and costuming the most, it is Johnny Depp.
Notice these trends:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Pirates of the Caribbean
Alice in Wonderland
1. Aww, Edward Scissorhands. Have you ever seen sadder eyes?
Edward needs a hug but how can he hold or be held with hands like that?
That is the sadness of Edward Scissorhands. His longing for love.
1. Edward Scissorhands
2. Johnny Depp's remake of the beloved children's classic Charlie and the Chocolate factory was just on the television last night. That movie is sure to catch the eye of the adults in the household when the children are watching it. Depp plays the fictional Willy Wonka, chocolatier and proprietor of the largest chocolate factory in the world. He scoffed at the idea of family and ran away from home at a young age to pursue his dream of being a chocolatier. He acts is if he was traumatized by the strictness of his dentist father who had refused to let him eat candy when he was growing up. Now he has the most chocolate and candy in the world but is all alone with no family at all. Again, sad.
Despite the underlying sadness, there is a happy ending to the movie and some brilliantly funny moments throughout the film. Johnny Depp has impeccable comic timing and funny facial expressions for the context of the moments.
2. Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
3. Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean is hilarious and a favorite character of many Johnny Depp fans. Johnny Depp doesn't forget to keep it funny.
3. Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean
4. Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland
5. The totally versatile Johnny Depp gives voice to an animated chameleon in Rango
Edward Scissorhands, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Pirates of the Caribbean, Alice in Wonderland and Rango are all examples of movies that I have seen and that have inspired me to think of Johnny Depp as a master of disguise and alter ego. He is barely recognizable in many of his roles.
More by this Author
Do you like flash mob dances and want to see some of the best ones in action? Look no further....
Of course, this is a topic that has been often revisited. I could not even name the hub Celebrities who look alike because that title was already taken. There are certain celebrity resemblances that are spoken of very...
Delicious meatballs are possible without breadcrumbs! Whether you don't eat breadcrumbs or none are readily available, try this recipe plus a savory tomato sauce garnished with parsley and spices.