Mark Sellers - Nashville Musicians
Meet Mark Sellers
Let it be known that Mark Sellers is one heck of an entertainer. Yet, he remains humble and very kind. His audience feels appreciated due to his persona that acknowledges their presence. Mark's smile lights up a room and when he exits the building the afterglow remains behind.
Mark is a newcomer to the Nashville scene, but not new to the entertainment industry. Nashville is not Mark's first rodeo and from what I have witnessed, certainly not his last. Mark in my opinion is a giver by nature. He shares pieces of himself through his many talents. Whether it be dancing, acting or singing...chances are you might have already "met" Mark and didn't realize it, until now.
I had the pleasure of meeting Mark at the Honky Tonk Central in Nashville. I watched as he entertained groups of all ages. He greeted the children with high fives and guitar picks and cheered them on as they shimmied along to the music. Whether Mark was gliding across the dance floor, singing to the patrons or simply greeting the crowds...everyone took notice of this entertainer who had you wanting more.
Join me in a trip down Mark Seller's memory lane...
Mark Sellers: Random Fun Facts
- Born in St. Charles, Missouri where his father was a riverboat pilot. At age 11 the family moved from Sikeston, Missouri to Sweet Home Alabama which is where Mark calls Decatur his hometown. (Roll tide!) Mark is now a resident of Nashville.
- His father played the guitar and was a loyal fan of Waylon Jennings, which helped inspire Mark's passion of strumming and singing.
- Mark, along with his little sister Laura, were self-taught dancers. They were inspired by a couple of dance TV shows that were all abuzz during that time. Soul Train and American Bandstand.
- In 1980 Mark and Laura won the title of National Champions for American Bandstand's annual dance contest. They each won a car and Laura was only 15 years old at the time! Their cars were shipped from Hollywood, California to Alabama, where they lived.
- In 1983 Mark and Laura went on to win the Grand National Dance Championship on the hit TV show Star Search, hosted by Ed McMahon. This duo obviously had the right moves to win the grand prize of $100,000.00.
- In 1983 producers from the popular TV dance series, Solid Gold, offered Mark a contract for their show. Mark was a star dancer for two seasons. (I remember watching Mark on Solid Gold. Little did my younger self know I would be interviewing him one day.)
I Spy, Mark Sellers!
- Just when I thought Mark couldn't shock me anymore I learned he was a principal dancer in Michael Jackson's number one video of all time, THRILLER. Michael Jackson was Mark's favorite dancer to work with and THRILLER remains the most well sold album of all time.
- Shortly afterwards he was a featured dancer in Tim McGraw's, Indian Outlaw video. Tim McGraw fans are aware that it was the controversy of Indian Outlaw that put Tim on the map. Yep, Mark was a part of that history.
First and Foremost I am an Entertainer
Mark has led quite an interesting life. While speaking to him you wouldn't expect such humility, but yet he remains grounded.
Mark now resides in Nashville surrounded by a younger generation of talent, who admire him for his legendary history and his ambition to pursue his dream of country music singer/songwriter.
Mark learns from the younger generation while they learn from him. Who doesn't appreciate to learn something new each and everyday?
Mark thrives in entertaining the thousands of tourists in Nashville. So next time y'all are visiting Broadway, be sure and hunt this musician down. Don't forget to request a song or two and tip him well. You'll be pleasantly pleased being serenaded by this cowboy.
Mark Sellers makes sure the patrons have the time of their lives. My daughter and I concur!
Need I Mention that Mark Sellers is Passionate About Music?
- Mark's talent has been featured in Clint Black's video, "One Emotion." He was also featured in Dwight Yoakam's video of "These Arms."
- And you thought I was done with video credits? Mark was also a featured dancer in Lionel Richie's video "All Night Long."
- Mark was the choreographer for the dance routines in the movie, 8 seconds.
- Elvis was the entertainer that inspired Mark as a young kid. He never would have imagined that one day he would receive an invite to perform at Priscilla Presley's parents 55th anniversary celebration. He also danced and dined with Priscilla. Smooth moves!
- Fred Astaire was Mark's favorite dancer who inspired his passion for dance and choreography.
- He would like to duet with Julianne Hough from the Dancing With The Stars TV reality show.
- Mark sure knows how to strum his guitar. While he is picking and grinning his loyalty to this instrument shines through as he's sharing his passion of song.
- He is also a songwriter who pours his heart and soul into his words.
- His favorite singer/songwriter is country rocker, John Fogerty.
That was me then, this is me now.
If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body - Mark Sellers (Bellamy Brothers cover)
Garth Brooks - The Dance
Hold Your Horses! We Ain't Done Yet.
- Mark has created a successful "Chair Dance" program which works with Dementia and Alzheimer's patients through therapeutic dance and combined music. His dad has dementia and this program is Mark's way of giving back.
- Favorite country song is "The Dance" by Garth Brooks which is a powerful hit.
- TOOTSIE'S World Famous Orchid Lounge is Mark's number one stage to perform at on Broadway.
- Marlon Brando is his favorite actor.
- Meryl Streep is his favorite actress.
- Mark had no vocal training. (Way to go, Cowboy!)
- Mark opened for Taylor Swift in Los Angeles when she was only 14 years old.
- On several special occasions Mark has been invited to perform at St. Jude Children's Hospital in Memphis. Mark has entertained many young patients and their families over the years. These performances always tug at Mark's heart. (I have been donating to St. Jude Children's Hospital for over 35 years. Bless your heart, Mark Sellers!)
Follow Your Guitar
- For acting gigs Mark worked with such notables as Gary Marshall, Ron Howard, Mel Brooks and Adam Sandler.
- Mark is on Facebook, where you could follow him. The next time you are in Nashville and want to watch Mark perform check his Facebook page because he posts his schedule daily.
- Mark's advice to musicians who are new to the business and are considering to relocate to Nashville..."Follow your heart."
- One of my favorite questions to ask musicians are their thoughts on how country music has evolved. Mark's response was spot on! He said, "Old or new, the heart and soul of country music will always be about storytelling. The songs range from hurt to happy. I have witnessed an increase in positive influences that has been infused in the lyrics for the newer generations."
Johnny Cash was the John Wayne of country music.
Thank you, Mark for taking the time out of your busy schedule and participating in my Nashville Musicians interview series.
If I had known then what I know now about your mega-accomplishments I wouldn't have changed a thing, I still would have asked you to be one of my victims...I mean, victors.
Shine on, Mark! Next time I see you I will wear sunglasses to block the glare.
Now y'all be sure and visit downtown Nashville so that you too could experience the sights and sounds of Mark Sellers.
Check Yes or No!
Are you ready to book your trip to Nashville?See results without voting
© 2016 Linda Bilyeu
More by this Author
Outlaw country music star, Eric Church has built quite an empire that spans from songwriting to performing, those who know his music also know he is quite talented...
I present to you 28 reasons to love country music. You might already be a fan, considering being a fan or detest the tunes. Either way I hope you consider my reasons.
Country music soothes the soul as does the musical sounds of country singer Emma Jane from the U.K.