Movie Taglines Trivia: Vol. 1
How Well Do You Know Your Movie Taglines?
Whenever a movie is released in theaters, part of the marketing campaign for the film is a tagline (or slogan). Taglines can usually be found on the movie poster, or during commercials, previews (trailers) and other advertisements for the film.
Usually a tagline is no longer than five or six words, or a sentence or two and acts as a short descriptor of the plot or theme of the film.
Movie taglines can range from funny, to corny, to catchy to provocative. Sometimes they are completely bizarre with almost no relation or relativity to the film and sometimes they are just plain bad (see this list of the 15 worst movie taglines from the Huffington Post).
Whereas, a good tagline, like the Apollo 13 tagline (Houston, we have a problem.) can become a part of the pop culture lexicon. You just never know.
So? How well do you know your movie taglines?
Below is a list of 50 taglines from some of the more popular films over the last 30 to 40 years. Some are easy. Some are hard. Keep score and see if you are a movie buff, or maybe just a buffoon? Good luck!
Test Your Tagline Trivia Knowlege!
Books for Movie Buffs:
Movie Trivia & Reviews
- Movie Taglines Trivia: Vol. 2
Test your movie trivia knowledge with tagline trivia. Movie Taglines Trivia: Vol. 2
- Movie Taglines Trivia: Tom Cruise Edition
How well do you know Tom Cruise movies? Test your movie knowledge with tagline trivia.
- My Queue in Review
Movie reviews from a married guy with a Netflix account.
Movies Make Great Gifts!
How Did You Do?
50 - 40 Correct: A-List Celebrity
39 - 30 Correct: B-List Celebrity
29 - 20 Correct: C-List Celebrity
19 - 10 Correct: D-List Celebrity
9 - 0 Correct: Rehab
50 Famous Movie Taglines:
(Answers are below. No peaking.)
- From zero to hero.
- Family isn't a word. It's a sentence.
- Whatcha gonna do?
- Size does matter.
- Reality is a thing of the past.
- What we do in life echoes in eternity.
- The greatest fairy tale never told.
- Love is in the hair.
- An Adventure 65 Million Years in the Making.
- He is the best there is! (Actually he is the only one there is.)
- In space, no one can hear you scream.
- The mission is a man.
- He's having the day of his life ... over and over again.
- Nothing is as simple as black and white.
- Yule crack up.
- Are you in or out?
- We are not alone.
- Five good reasons to stay single.
- You won't know the facts until you've seen the fiction.
- All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.
- Get ready for rush hour.
- 3% body fat. 1% brain activity.
- The most beautiful love story ever told.
- The mob is tough but it's nothing like show business.
- This is Benjamin. He's a little worried about his future.
- The coast is toast.
- Her life was in their hands. Now her toe is in the mail.
- Trust me.
- Laughter is contagious.
- His whole life was a million-to-one shot.
- On the air. Unaware.
- A lot can happen in the middle of nowhere.
- Be afraid. Be very afraid.
- Earth. It was fun while it lasted.
- Every dream has a price.
- Catch it.
- After a night they can't remember comes a day they'll never forget.
- Hello, my name is Andy and this is my movie.
- It's not like they didn't warn us.
- Five criminals. One lineup. No coincidences.
- There's something about your first piece.
- They'll never get caught. They're on a mission from God.
- The snobs against the slobs!
- See it with a bud.
- Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
- Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
- Welcome to the suck.
- Cocktails first. Questions later.
- First comes love. Then comes the interrogation.
- Collide with destiny.
1) The Mask 2) The Royal Tenenbaums 3) Bad Boys 4) Godzilla 5) The Matrix 6) Gladiator 7) Shrek 8) There's Something About Mary 9) Jurassic Park 10) Ace Ventura: Pet Detective 11) Alien 12) Saving Private Ryan 13) Groundhog Day 14) Pleasantville 15) Christmas Vacation 16) Oceans Eleven 17) Close Encounters of the Third Kind 18) Four Weddings and a Funeral 19) Pulp Fiction 20) The Shining 21) Speed 22) Zoolander 23) Beauty and the Beast 24) Get Shorty 25) The Graduate 26) Volcano 27) The Big Lebowski 28) Liar, Liar 29) Patch Adams 30) Rocky 31) The Truman Show 32) Fargo 33) The Fly 34) Armageddon 35) Wall Street 36) Saturday Night Fever 37) Dude, Where's My Car? 38) Man on the Moon 39) Signs 40) Usual Suspects 41) American Pie 42) The Blues Brothers 43) Caddyshack 44) Dazed & Confused 45) Fight Club 46) Shawshank Redemption 47) Jarhead 48) Swingers 49) Meet the Parents 50) Titanic
More by this Author
Some of the best comedies are college movies. These are The 5 Best College Comedies ... and Animal House doesn't make the list.
Bill Murray has appeared in roughly 50 movies and was a cast member on Saturday Night Live during the 1970s. Known for his comedic timing and deadpan sense of humor, Bill Murray often is able to get more laughs with a...
Hosting a St. Patrick's Day party? Here are seven recipes for unique and delicious shots to serve your crowd.