John Woo's The Killer & My Top 5 Foreign Films (Worth Reading the Subtitles)
My Favorite Foreign Films
Foreign films aren't my favorite genre of movies. I would watch them occasionally if they are really interesting and full of action which by the way is my favorite film genre.
I can't remember all the foreign films, I've seen that I actually sat down and read the subtitles (oh man, why didn't they just dub the sound), but those that I do remember are among my favorite.
The Killer (1989) Trailer
- The Killer (Hong Kong) - My favorite movie of all time is also a foreign film! This action flick starring Chow Yun Fat (also stars in Crouching Tiger...) was directed by John Woo before he made it to Hollywood with his raw and visually stunning action scenes. Its about a man who must do one last hit to redeem himself after he accidentally blinds a woman during a shootout in a club.
- Les Visiteurs (France) - This movie starred Jean Reno and it was really funny. Well the scened were and the subtitles made it funnier. If only they could have made it in english. Oh, they did actually - a remake also starring Jean Reno but that for some reason didn't connect with me as the original.
- The White Balloon (Iran) - All I could remember about this movie is that it starred a little girl who just wanted to buy a fish. I know I liked it cuz I watched it twice and all the way to the end.
- Il Postino (Italy) - The Postman is the english name and it starred Massimo Troisi - great actor, great film (and not because it won some Oscars) - it really was enjoyable
- Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (China) - Unbelievably artistic visuals, like people gliding through the air with no respect for gravity - but I liked it though. It was almost like a dream or was it supposed to be.
Those are my top 5 foreign movies. Others I liked include ' Le Femme Nikita' (France) , another Roberto Begnini movie i cant remember the name of, a japanese movie from 1980 which I cant remember the name either - I think it was about a samurai, 'Hard Boiled' (Hong Kong) and 'Trois Coleurs: Bleu' (France).
Foreign Film Music
Even the music from foreign films are great.
Here's that beautiful theme from The Killer sung by Sally Yeh.
Theme From The Killer
Foreign Film at Amazon
More by this Author
As seen on television, the new Buzz Cuts cd is a compilation of 30 of the biggest alternative rock hits of all time. If you're a lover of alt rock then this cd is a definite must have, with blazing tunes from 3 Doors...
I'm not a film critic, I just play one on Hubpages. I like movies and I like lists so I decided to do one and will probably do a lot more. I've done a couple of movie lists before but I think this one is probably the...