The Oldest Film Director in the World | List of his Movies
Manoel Cândido Pinto de Oliveira
Manoel de Oliveira was born in Oporto, Portugal, on December 11 (but he was only registry in the next day) of 1908, to a family of wealthy industrialists.
Since his early days he desired to become an actor, later he decided that it would be best to become film maker.
He made some distinctive representation as actor like in the second Portuguese sound film, A Canção de Lisboa (1933).
His first film as a director was made in 1942, Aniki-Bóbó, and it was about a poor boy who lived in Oporto streets.
Manoel Oliveira`s Filmography
- Douro, Faina Fluvial (documentary, 1931)
- Estátuas de Lisboa (documentary, 1932)
- Os Últimos Temporais: Cheias do Tejo (documentary, 1937)
- Miramar, Praia das Rosas (documentary, 1938)
- Já se fabricam automóveis em Portugal (documentary, 1938)
- Famalicão (documentary, 1941)
- Aniki-Bóbó (1942)
- O Pintor e a Cidade (documentary, 1956)
- O Coração (documentary, 1958)
- O Pão (documentary, 1959)
- Acto de Primavera (1963)
- A Caça (1963)
- Villa Verdinho: Uma Aldeia Transmontana (documentary, 1964)
- As Pinturas do Meu Irmão Júlio (documentary, 1965)
- O Passado e o Presente (1971)
- Benilde ou a Virgem Mãe (1974)
- Amor de Perdição (1978)
- Francisca (1981)
- Visita ou Memórias e Confissões (1982)
- Lisboa Cultural (documentary, 1983)
- Nice... À Propos de Jean Vigo (documentary, 1983)
- Le Soulier de Satin (1985)
- Mon Cas (1987)
- A Propósito da Bandeira Nacional (1987)
- Os Canibais (1988)
- Non, ou A Vã Glória de Mandar (1990)
- A Divina Comédia (1991)
- O Dia do Desespero (1992)
- Vale Abraão (1993)
- A Caixa (1994)
- O Convento (1995)
- Party (1996)
- Viagem ao Princípio do Mundo (1997)
- Inquietude (1998)
- La Lettre (1999)
- Palavra e Utopia (2000)
- Je Rentre a la Maison (2001)
- Porto da Minha Infância (2001)
- O Princípio da Incerteza (2002)
- Momento (2002)
- Um Filme Falado (2003)
- O Quinto Império: Ontem Como Hoje (2004)
- Espelho Mágico (2005)
- Do Visível ao Invisível (2005)
- Belle Toujours (2006)
- O Improvável não é Impossível (2006)
- Cristóvão Colombo - O Enigma (2007)
- O estranho caso de Angelica - "The Strange Case of Angelica" (2010)
Vale Abraão (Abraham valley movie trailer)
A Carta / La Lettre (movie trailer)
The Internet movie database. With lots of interesting informations.
Randal Johnson is professor of Luso-Brazilian literature and culture at the University of California, Los Angeles. He is the author or editor of numerous books on Brazilian cinema, and he is currently engaged in research on Portuguese cinema, with a special focus on Manoel de Oliveira.
A true living legend at age 103, Portugal’s indefatigable cinematic master Manoel de Oliveira made the seventh of his 11 NYFF appearances with one of his crowning achievements.
'Espelho Mágico' / 'Magic Mirror' (movie trailer)
From "The Strange Case of Angelica"Click thumbnail to view full-size
Today with 102 years old...
... he is still working and he is the Portuguese film director with more awards. Since 2001, he is the oldest director in the world who is still active, and remains one of the most influential film makers in Europe.
"The Strange Case of Angelica" (O estranho caso de Angelica) is the last film he directed so far and as strange as you can imagine he still have more projects in mind!
I can tell you, he is like the Oporto wine: "He only gets better, improving year after year!".
More by this Author
After finishing the first "Funny stories about couples" hub I realize there were so many funny jokes with couples that it was mandatory to make another one. So here it is and I hope you like it at least as...
This time I choose to have fun with couples but now that I did it I found out that there are billions of couple´s jokes. So I probably will have to make another one on this subject in the future. In the mean time...
Learn about the symptoms, treatment, and recovery time for a broken wrist. Hear my own story about how breaking my wrist may have saved my life and how long it took my wrist to heal.