Guitar Open C tuning chords
Guitar - open C tuning
It's always a challenge to play guitar in a chord/melody style - that is, the tune and chords together. The tab is for the traditional Scots tune, Auld Lang Syne, which is usually the song used for New Year's Eve celebrations, but also a great tune for solo guitar.
The guitar tab is supplemented by the chord pictures below - have a look at these first, as it will help in learning the tab part. It's a good idea to memorize the tab, a bar at a time - you don't want to have to read it. More info on reading guitar tab in my other hubs.
There is a version by John Fahey on Youtube, which I used as a basis for this arrangement. There is a video link below - please note it isn't exactly the same as this guitar tab.
You could play this song in normal tuning, but it would be hard to replicate the tone and power you can get from open strings and drone notes.
Normal tuning for guitar is E A D G B E
Open C - C G C G C E
This is an easy way to retune to Open C:
- Take the 2nd string up 1 semitone to C
- Using this note as a reference, take string 4 down to C
- Using open 3rd string as a reference, take string 5 down to G
- Using string 4 as a reference, take string 6 down to C
Auld Lang syne tab
Auld lang Syne chords - Open C
Firstly, the bar lines don't mean anything here, they are just there to make it more readable.
LIne 1 matches the verse lyrics
Should auld acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind, should....
Line 3 matches the chorus
For auld lang syne, my dear, for auld lang syne
Then line 4 and a repeat of line 2. That's it!
You can alter this tab in any way you want - here are some ideas.
- Last chord of line 2 could be played in harmonics at fret 12
- Use a barre for the fret 5 chord.
- The fret 4 to fret 2 part of line 2 could be a slide
- On the repeat of line 2, slow down at the end of the tune.
- The chord in frets 9 and 10 is just a D shape, albeit in a very unusual place!
Open C tuning
Playing all strings open will be a C chord, and you can also play harmonics on all the strings at fret 12 for a C chord.
A barre at fret 5 is an F chord, and a barre at fret 7 is a G chord.
More info is on my other hubs on Open C tuning.
More by this Author
Guitar chords lesson on latin jazz chords, Bossa Nova chords.
Guitar chords for open D Tuning, Irish songs.
Guitar Lesson on guitar chords in Open G tuning. Rolling Stones guitar style, Keith Richards guitar chords. Rolling Stones guitar parts, Guitar and Open G tuning.