Oprah Creating A World Of Tolerance By Visiting A Hasidic Jewish Family In Brooklyn New York
Opray Winfrey Searches for Spirituality In The Homes of Black Hats and Long Skirts
News spreads like wildfire when a celebrity of Oprah Winfrey's magnitude investigates the other people's culture and religion. It's no wonder the video and television interview with Rabbi Motti Seligson went viral in the Jewish community and perhaps beyond.
The scale of this act cannot be under estimated. Just as she felt intimidated at the appearance of religious orthodox Jewish men and had preconceptions of the women's role in the family as subservient, most people also have no idea about family life, daily, weekly and year round traditions.
Hasidim Live Holy Lives - Torah Is Their Guide
This peek into the lives of two Hasidic Jewish families' regular routines, like waking up with prayer, hand washing rituals, family meals gathering around the table, Sabbath practices, restrictions to children's exposure to American culture such as television, movies and electronic devices and the most important integration of the children's role as the focal point of orthodoxy may surprise and bewilder.
Creating A New View Of The Chosen People
How refreshing to hear Oprah's words as she spoke of the reverence for The People Of The Book, the Jewish people who brought monotheism and ethical principles of living into this world through their Exodus experience and the giving of the Ten Commandments at the foot of Mount Sinai. What a delight to hear how Oprah can appreciate the value of keeping the mezzuzah in the doorway as a reminder to all who enter that G-d lives here, and the One G-d rules over all humanity and the universe.
Begin Your Own Learning Journey
I encourage you to listen to her special interview when, I hope and pray, she eases the minds of those who fear the Jewish people, or blame them as scapegoats for all the misfortunes that befall people in this world.
Share With Others And Help Create A World Of Tolerance
I encourage you to share with your friends and discuss some of what she learned. Perhaps delve deeper into the practices of the Jewish people in order to reap the benefits of why they observe the Sabbath when and how they do in order to create more tolerance for those who may appear and practice different rites and religious practices.
Oprah Sunday February 12, 2012 Visits Jewish Hasidic Family in Brooklyn New York TUNE IN SUNDAY ON YOUR CABLE TV
May Her Name Be A Blessing
I feel that Oprah has brought a blessing into our lives by opening up this discussion and view of Jewish life. Many other celebrities before her have investigated all other religions and found peace and love within the Jewish religion. Jews do not proselytize and believe that every human has the potential to live a righteous life and gain entry into heaven by their acts in this world. They do not have to be converted. Each person has a personal connection with G-d. Knowing right from wrong has been given through the ten commandments and in the Noahide laws from the time of Noah.
View the wonderful interview with Rabbi Motti Seligson at Chabad.org the Lubavitch Chabad in Brooklyn, New York
First Look: Oprah's Next Chapter | America's Hidden Culture
The main take home messages she received was both that the family lives with purpose and remains the core and foundation of life in contemporary times while learning how to live in the world and retain G-d's spirit and guidance within our material world.
Many other spiritual seeking celebrities have been drawn to Judaism.
- Drew Barrymore may convert to Judaism before she marries fiance Will Kopelman,
- Donald Trump’s daughter, Ivanka, converted before she wed Jared Kushner
- Isla Fisher converted before she married Sacha Baron Cohen
- Madonna converted to Judaism and her Brazilian boyfriend Jesus Luz will also.
- Elizabeth Taylor converted to Judaism to marry singer Eddie Fisher
- Paul McCartney converted before his marriage to Nancy Shevell
- LeBron James, the basketball star greatly admires the work of Rabbi Schottenstein, who translated the Jewish Talmud into English, Hebrew, and French, which is now read by 2 million people around the globe. I'm not sure of LeBron's religion.
- Jon Gosselin is half Jewish and Half Korean
- Nell Carter converted 1982 when she married George Krynicki
- Marilyn Monroe converted in 1956
- Campbell Brown daughter of a Louisiana state senator, Campbell Brown converted when she married Dan Senor
- Kate Capshaw converted in 1991 when she married Steven Spielberg
- Connie Chung converted to Judaism upon marrying talk-show host Maury Povich in 1984
- Sammy Davis Jr. converted after learning about Judaism from the rabbi at the hospital where he was recuperating from an auto accident.
- Jamaica Kincaid converted when she married composer Allen Shawn
- Mary Hart converted in Burt Sugarman in 1989
- Dr. Laura Schlesinger converted in 1996
- Elizabeth Banks converted when she married sportswriter and producer Max Handelman
- Elliott Maddox, who played for both the Yankees and the Mets, converted to Judaism in 1974.
- Wikipedia Jewish Sports Figures
- List of Jewish American Entertainers
With so much attention directed towards Israel and the Jewish people today, it's no wonder that in the process of investigating many cultures and religions, Oprah had to seek and discover for herself.
All rights reserved, © copyright Debby Bruck 2012
This Hubpages blog in response to Oprah Winfrey's spiritual journey, as she bravely steps into the often intimidating world of orthodox Hasidim Jewry of NYC, helps to spread the word of tolerance for others. Become curious. Learn the best that others have to offer.
About the Author
Debby Bruck, CHOM loves to write about various topics on Hubpages, including about spiritual matters, creative poetry, alternative health, current event news, social networking, and whatever comes to mind. Debby is the founder of Homeopathy World Community a social network of professional homeopaths enlightening the world to the healing powers of energy medicines. She hosts numerous radio shows each week on a variety of health topics. Debby believes that homeopathy is the wave of the future that provides hope and healing to those who have tried every other approach. Follow Debby on Twitter
If You Enjoy Hubpages You may want to Join Now. It's free to join.
⇙⁀↘‿⇗ ♥ ⇙⁀↘‿⇗ ♥ ⇙⁀↘‿⇗ ♥⇙⁀↘‿⇗ ♥ ⇙⁀↘‿⇗ ♥ ⇙⁀↘‿⇗ ♥⇙⁀↘‿⇗ ♥
More by this Author
A retrospective on Charlie Chaplin. How his words encourage me and help people triumph over hard times.
You won't want to miss this CLASSIC Animated Movie Short. It tells a story.
Homeopathy heals strained, sprained and injured muscles and tendons with homeopathic remedies. One special remedy, Ruta graveolens, is often used for Tendonitis, tennis elbow, carpal tunnel and sports Injury.