Photos Of People & Other Things ... Do YOU Use The Flash/Flash Gun Or Choose Not To Use

Agan an item that is going to be sold. This is as taken only reduced in size - no other fine tuning. Using natural light and shooting down at an angle of about 10 to 15°
Agan an item that is going to be sold. This is as taken only reduced in size - no other fine tuning. Using natural light and shooting down at an angle of about 10 to 15° | Source

My General Settings

My current settings of my camera, is as follows.

Mode = Manual

Focus = Manual

Flash = Off

ISO Set to 100

White Balance =90% AWB

2 sec delay on my shutter

I make use the LCD screen for 100% of my composition

Preset Picture Style = Standard

5X enlarge centre spot when fine tuning my focus

Tripod mounted 95% of the time. The other 5% it is usually placed on a sandbag for stabilisation.

This has now become more or less the Standard that I use to do my photography.

Of course this also depends on what I am shooting and then I do my test shoot.

The process that I follow, is the same principle as that I used (as was taught to me), change one thing at a time, analyse, then make the next change.

A Quick Comment on Photographing People

The informal, or formal family "gatherings", these are the times when I now do not bring out my camera.

Why? Well it is not the type of photography that I really enjoy doing as there is always the "You must get a pic of .......

As I say. my style has "evolved", I prefer to pick my moments, subject and stalk, waiting for that correct moment to preserve it.

So what has this preamble got to do with taking photographs using Flash or not Using Flash.

Viv La Differance'

If you can see any differences.

You then use what you wish, To Flash or Not To Flash.

Remember a photograph is your visual essay.

There is your bare bones of the portrait, does it show/hide enough for you?

Go to your photo editor and work with them!

Flash And No Flash

Self Portrait - Without a flash
Self Portrait - Without a flash | Source
Self Portrait - With Flash
Self Portrait - With Flash | Source

No Flash Manipulation

I went to work on this Image, as I felt and saw a thicker image, rathere than use the thinner flashed version.

Adjusted the image to add a bit of a stronger depth to left hand side of the face. This I felt added balance to the rest of the image, which is a larger area of light.

This I think reflects me at this time. A lot is happening all at the same time,  descisions to be made. Some easier than others.
This I think reflects me at this time. A lot is happening all at the same time, descisions to be made. Some easier than others. | Source

Then Going To Black & White

Finally a Black & White portrait of Moi
Finally a Black & White portrait of Moi | Source

More by this Author


Comments 5 comments

Green Lotus profile image

Green Lotus 5 years ago from Atlanta, GA

Ah the many faces of Rodney! I am a very amateur photographer and I've enjoyed this lesson. Now only if I had a decent camera.


Just_Rodney profile image

Just_Rodney 5 years ago from Johannesberg South Africa, The Gold Mine City Author

Green Lotus, It is notr the camera only, it is the photo editing/enhacing that manupulates the raw material. If you have any digital camera, that you can down load onto your PC, you can find a myriad of free editing software to do the same or similar or even better than the examples shown above.

As long as you have imagination time and a flair for following mking and breaking rules then you can express yourself.

Thanks

Have fun!


Eiddwen profile image

Eiddwen 5 years ago from Wales

A very useful hub and thanks for sharing .

Eiddwen.


sixtyorso profile image

sixtyorso 5 years ago from South Africa

Another great one


Just_Rodney profile image

Just_Rodney 5 years ago from Johannesberg South Africa, The Gold Mine City Author

Eiddwen, Thank you for reading the hub and finding it useful. Great to be appreciated.

Sixtyorso, Thanks for reading another Photo One, I will do a Foodie one for you shortly.

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    Click to Rate This Article
    working