Top 10 Samples in Hip-Hop History ~ Part 1
It All Starts Right Here, Friends. Get Comfy.
Here They Are.....the debut of a series of 10 Random Funky Soul Samples and Breakbeats.
Footsteps in the Dark by The Isley Brothers = It Was a Good Day - Ice Cube
I Want'a Do Something Freaky To You by Leon Haywood = Nothin' But a G Thang - Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg
Blind Man Can See It by James Brown = They Want EFX - Das EFX
(You) Got What I Need by Freddie Scott - Just a Friend - Biz Markie
I Keep Forgettin' by Michael McDonald = Regulate - Warren G & Nate Dogg
Rise by Herb Alpert = Hypnotize - The Notorious B.I.G.
Spinnin' by Bernard Wright = I Wish - Skee Lo
Giving Up Food For Funk by The JB's = Luv 2 Luv U (RMX) - Timbaland and Magoo
Baby This Love I Have by Minnie Ripperton = Check The Rhime - A Tribe Called Quest
Bring It Here by Wild Sugar = Brass Monkey - Beastie Boys
- The Greatest Samples & Breakbeats in Hip-Hop History
Hip-Hop samples are fragments of recorded music extracted from old recordings for the use of making new songs.
- Listen to Music Samples, Remixes and Cover Songs | WhoSampled
The ultimate database of sampled music, remixes and cover songs - dig deeper into music by discovering direct links between songs and artists.
- www.the-breaks.com, AKA The (Rap) Sample FAQ
A HUGE list of samples and their sources in all forms of music. This is where I go but it is never updated. Strictly Old School!
Other Hip-Hop Artists Who sampled These Songs
FOOTSTEPS IN THE DARK by THE ISLEY BROTHERS
was also sampled by..
- Compton's Most Wanted for "CAN I KILL IT?"
- Keith Murray for "BAD DAY" and
- Canadian Rapper K-OS also used it for "HEAVEN ONLY KNOWS"
I WANT'a DO SOMETHING FREAKY TO YOU by LEON HAYWOOD
was also sampled by...
- Public Enemy's "Pollywanacraka"
- Redman's "Rockafella"
- Ugly Duckling's "Journey To Anywhere"
- Blahzay Blahzay also used it for "Danger Part 2"
BLIND MAN CAN SEE IT by JAMES BROWN was also used on..
- Blackstreet's "NO DIGGITY"
- Lord Finesse's "FUNKY TECHNICIAN"
- Peanut Butter Wolf's "I WILL ALWAYS LOVE H.E.R."
- Snoop Doggy Dogg's "THE VAPORS"
- Steady B's "USE ME AGAIN"
- Coolio's "STICKY FINGAZ"
- Mellow Man Ace's "HYPEST FROM CYPRESS"
I KEEP FORGETTIN' (EVERY TIME YOU'RE NEAR) by MICHAEL McDONALD was used for
- Jadakiss' "When Kiss is Spittin'""
- Young MC's "Love You Slow"
GIVIN' UP FOOD FOR FUNK by THE JB'S " = "
'Wrath of Kane" - Big Daddy Kane
"I'm That Type of Ni@@a" - The Pharcyde
"Kool Keith Housing Things" - Ultramagnetic MC's
"Mind of a Lunatic" - Geto Boys
BABY THIS LOVE I HAVE by MINNIE RIPERTON
"K.O.S. (Determination)" by Black Star
"Play Dis Only At Night by Pete Rock
"Rimz and Tires" by Xzibit
More by this Author
Here we are again. My broken camera was a big loss in terns of progress for Funk Appreciation Month but alas, everything happens for a reason. My time off from vlogging allowed me to see the big picture a lil' better...
I have done quite a lot of samples since I last hubbed so let's play a little catch-up, shall we? Submitted for your approval, my last five episodes of Top 10 Samples in History. I would like to invite you to...
This epic list was inspired by my childhood radio station WLIR-WDRE 92.7 fm on Long Island. Their mantra was 'Dare To be Different' and they were introducing new bands every single week. Let's begin.