Top 10 Samples in Hip-Hop History ~ Part 1
It All Starts Right Here, Friends. Get Comfy.
Here They Are.....the debut of a series of 10 Random Funky Soul Samples and Breakbeats.
Footsteps in the Dark by The Isley Brothers = It Was a Good Day - Ice Cube
I Want'a Do Something Freaky To You by Leon Haywood = Nothin' But a G Thang - Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg
Blind Man Can See It by James Brown = They Want EFX - Das EFX
(You) Got What I Need by Freddie Scott - Just a Friend - Biz Markie
I Keep Forgettin' by Michael McDonald = Regulate - Warren G & Nate Dogg
Rise by Herb Alpert = Hypnotize - The Notorious B.I.G.
Spinnin' by Bernard Wright = I Wish - Skee Lo
Giving Up Food For Funk by The JB's = Luv 2 Luv U (RMX) - Timbaland and Magoo
Baby This Love I Have by Minnie Ripperton = Check The Rhime - A Tribe Called Quest
Bring It Here by Wild Sugar = Brass Monkey - Beastie Boys
- The Greatest Samples & Breakbeats in Hip-Hop History
Hip-Hop samples are fragments of recorded music extracted from old recordings for the use of making new songs.
- Listen to Music Samples, Remixes and Cover Songs | WhoSampled
The ultimate database of sampled music, remixes and cover songs - dig deeper into music by discovering direct links between songs and artists.
- www.the-breaks.com, AKA The (Rap) Sample FAQ
A HUGE list of samples and their sources in all forms of music. This is where I go but it is never updated. Strictly Old School!
Other Hip-Hop Artists Who sampled These Songs
FOOTSTEPS IN THE DARK by THE ISLEY BROTHERS
was also sampled by..
- Compton's Most Wanted for "CAN I KILL IT?"
- Keith Murray for "BAD DAY" and
- Canadian Rapper K-OS also used it for "HEAVEN ONLY KNOWS"
I WANT'a DO SOMETHING FREAKY TO YOU by LEON HAYWOOD
was also sampled by...
- Public Enemy's "Pollywanacraka"
- Redman's "Rockafella"
- Ugly Duckling's "Journey To Anywhere"
- Blahzay Blahzay also used it for "Danger Part 2"
BLIND MAN CAN SEE IT by JAMES BROWN was also used on..
- Blackstreet's "NO DIGGITY"
- Lord Finesse's "FUNKY TECHNICIAN"
- Peanut Butter Wolf's "I WILL ALWAYS LOVE H.E.R."
- Snoop Doggy Dogg's "THE VAPORS"
- Steady B's "USE ME AGAIN"
- Coolio's "STICKY FINGAZ"
- Mellow Man Ace's "HYPEST FROM CYPRESS"
I KEEP FORGETTIN' (EVERY TIME YOU'RE NEAR) by MICHAEL McDONALD was used for
- Jadakiss' "When Kiss is Spittin'""
- Young MC's "Love You Slow"
GIVIN' UP FOOD FOR FUNK by THE JB'S " = "
'Wrath of Kane" - Big Daddy Kane
"I'm That Type of Ni@@a" - The Pharcyde
"Kool Keith Housing Things" - Ultramagnetic MC's
"Mind of a Lunatic" - Geto Boys
BABY THIS LOVE I HAVE by MINNIE RIPERTON
"K.O.S. (Determination)" by Black Star
"Play Dis Only At Night by Pete Rock
"Rimz and Tires" by Xzibit
More by this Author
DWYCK -Guru It's a tradition around here that every 19 episodes I take a step back and remember the children. They did not live this period like most of us and this series was designed to impact the future in a...
I have done quite a lot of samples since I last hubbed so let's play a little catch-up, shall we? Submitted for your approval, my last five episodes of Top 10 Samples in History. I would like to invite you to...
Before we start, I want to make it clear that I'm not implying that "Rock Lobster" is a better song than the others—it's just more "wavy" than most. In other words, take the rankings with a...