Hiring Professional Seniors Entertainment in Newcastle
Get Top Seniors Entertainers At Half Price, Quarter Price & Even FREE!
So you might be an aged care organization that simply hasn't got an exhaustive entertainment budget and solely rely on volunteer entertainers. This is ok if you're residents enjoy them, but most of the time this doesn't add much value to your entertainment agenda for your residents (who you want to ensure stay happy and positive right?).
So here's how you can get top professional seniors entertainers very inexpensively!
- Workout what your top budget dollar will allow and put it towards hiring one good entertainer each week (because they DESERVE to be paid as well as you can afford, to keep them returning).
- Write out a list of all your suppliers and then invite them to donate shows to your venue, telling them you have a few new top level entertainers you would like to bring on regularly, but need a little help with sponsors for them.
- Go to radio, TV and newspapers and write a story about how "kind local businesses" are supporting the joy and happiness of senior citizens in your area.
- Go to every single RSL, Bowling Club, Sports Club and Leagues Club in your immediate area and ask them if they can do a seniors morning tea show for your residents (and you have the entertainers lined up for suggestion).
The club will then engage your suggested entertainers at regular commercial club rates, their club will be filled with your residents for an inexpensive scones / coffee or tea morning and your aged care facility won't have to pay the entertainer for this, so it's truly a win-win on all fronts.
Quick Success Tip!
Be sure to say to potential business sponsors for your entertainers that they'll get an honorable mention in as much media publicity you can drum up for their kindness (and believe me, the media LOVES a feel good, public relations story).
This should do the trick for you, just be persistent and vigilant in your approach, test what works and what doesn't and keep ramping it up, before you know it, you're aged care facility will have an army of professional seniors entertainers begging to sing at your facility (for top dollar during the week and all without breaking your entertainment budget).
Where Can You Find Great Seniors Entertainers For Your Seniors Facility?
After singing at many hundreds of shows for nursing homes, retirement villages, day care and activities centers for senior citizens, I've found a few clues for what senior citizens enjoy and how activities officers can best source seniors entertainers for their facilities.
It's always a great big problem finding highly polished seniors entertainers for aged care facilities who relate to the residents, as well as entertain them with the kind of songs they fancy.
Where & How Professional Seniors Entertainment Can Be Found in Newcastle (And Any Other City)?
Up until recently, it's been very difficult to source seniors entertainers in Newcastle who are performing regularly on the professional circuit and there's many factors for this.
- Cost of engagement is "too high"
- Time frames for engagement is too short or too far away (and not regular)
- Popularity of seniors entertainers, they're constantly "booked out"
So more often than not, facilities need to work within the above framework and often need to hire amateur entertainers or hobbyists.
This can sometimes be successful, but more often than not it's detrimental to the state of many patients, due to them not enjoying the provided entertainment (as many homes go from feedback of residents and if they enjoy the concerts or not).
Steps to Get TOP Seniors Entertainers (Whilst Not Blowing Your Facilities Entertainment Budget)!
The best way to find great entertainers for your seniors in your facility (if you're an activities officer) is to regularly go to seniors shows and concerts and watch seasoned professionals entertain seniors.
If you think your residents would like them (but know beyond a doubt that their fee's would be WAY TOO high) then you need to start getting creative.
- Ask the entertainer anyway if there is a way you could engage them for a LARGE show day for your residents, maybe a special gala or open day for your facility.
- See if they'll do this for your facility for a "special seniors & aged care facility rate" knowing they'll be making many seniors happy.
- Try to source business sponsors in society around your area to donate regular shows to your nursing home, day care center or retirement village to "supplement" the lowered fee of your seniors entertainers.
- If you like the entertainer, then encourage your staff, and children of residents to be at the show and BUY their merchandise to also help make it worth their while.
- Help your entertainer get a good return from his visit by allowing them to take photos and videos which can create a seniors video product they can then sell to other facilities.
By doing whatever you can to help the top professional entertainers to supplement your engagement fee for them, they'll look forward to playing at your facility and they'll spread the word to other professional entertainer friends they know.
This way you'll get more and more entertainers of absolute professional level, being able to visit your facility during the week (usually when times are quiet for entertainers) and give your valued residents some amazing shows they'll love.
How to Take Advantage of Special Seniors Events!
Every year there are multiple events that are well suited to senior citizens and some events which are highly specific for senior citizens only.
For example, in Australia, the Government has an initiative in place which funds entertainment and multiple seniors activities and entertainment on a broad scale.
These are perfect for your organization to apply for funding to be able to pay top dollar to only the BEST seniors entertainers going around.
You can also make the most of Christmas, Easter, Mothers Day, Fathers Day etc... and make a big day of it, where you can plan for top entertainers and apply for funding for these special events.
A good way to do this is to "pool your residents family donations" together to make a very special day out of it.
This then doesn't cut into your valuable monthly entertainment budget and hence, helps it keep stretch it further.
Entertaining Seniors For Seniors Week!
Senior Citizens LOVE Morning Tea Shows at Clubs!
Seniors Music Poll
What music do seniors facility residents like the most?See results without voting
Fete's & Festivals For Seniors!
Remember that a great way to attract top seniors entertainers to your facility for showcasing, is to invite them to your festivals, fete's and open gala days.
This will help showcase them to 100's of visitors and help raise funds for them on the day as well as sell their CD's / DVD's seniors related music products to families, both for themselves and for their loved ones who are residents.
Scouting For Top Seniors Entertainers!
Popular Types of Seniors Entertainers
Repertoire / Experience
Expected Seniors Facilty Hourly Rate
Mixed Seniors Songs & Highly Experienced Professional
$80 - $150 / Hour
Old Time / Crooning Songs & Amateur Experience
$30 - $50 / Hour
Country / Easy Listening & Amateur Experience
$30 - $50 / Hour
Hiring Engaging Seniors Entertainers
List of "DO's" and "DONT's" When Hiring Seniors Entertainers
Don't SKIMP when providing live entertainment to your aged care facilities residents. This will do two things for your facility:
- Create immense joy and happiness for your residents
- Spread amazing word-of-mouth referrals to your facility from other families
However there are some basic "Do's & Dont's" when sourcing great seniors entertainers, here they are:
- Seek referrals from other facilities
- Do your online research at the entertainers website (are they credible)
- Be sure they have a broad repertoire
- Pay a reduced fee for their first show and make it a live audition
- Ensure they have insurance and police checks before engaging them
- Just hire them because they have the "BEST" voice or talent
- Use volunteers
- Argue over money (pay the best what they're worth)
- Be the judge (let the residents happiness measure it)
- Limit a great entertainer just to residents (invite them to marketing events for your facility and community to give great songs and humor to families / business connections)
How to Hire Engaging Seniors Entertainers
Seniors Entertainment Resources
Oliver Sacks on Music, Memory and Emotion
Oliver Sacks, M.D., noted neurologist and best-selling author of Musicophilia, discusses the impact of personalized music on people suffering from Alzheimer’s and severe memory loss.
The past which is not recoverable in any other way is embedded, as if in amber, in the music, and people can regain a sense of identity. . . — Oliver Sacks
Oliver Sacks - Musicophilia - Alzheimer's/The Power of Music
Seniors Entertainment & Music Therapy Books
Music Therapy For Dementia / Alzheimer's Patients
Don't Underestimate Music Therapy for Alzhiemer's & Dementia Sufferers!
If music is such an important aspect of people’s lives from the time they are born, why is it that it doesn’t really occur to us, as a society, to provide people with music when they can no longer do what is necessary to provide it for themselves?
Music has power, and we need to remember to keep everyone plugged in!
Petr Janata, PhD
Neuroscientist Guggenheim Fellow, UC Davis, Center for Mind and Brain, Music Has Power™ Award Winner
Dementia + Music Therapy = Positive Results!
Old Man with Alzhiemer's Reacting to Music Therapy
Great Aged Care Entertainment NEEDS Sponsorship!
Businesses Sponsoring Senior Entertainment is a GOOD Thing!
In the above video about "Wonderful Seniors Entertainment with Sensational Blues Music" they mention that they need sponsors and donations to help them keep going with their amazing work.
And while many aged cares facilities "DO" have the budget to pay full price for top entertainers such as these seniors entertainers, they're NOT charging full commercial price, because they REALLY CARE about trying to help these facilities.
So, how can aged care facilities get "TOP NOTCH" seniors entertainers for less than full price, while the entertainers still get paid full price (or more) for their amazing talents?
It's quite simple, they need business sponsors from the area to help them cover the local nursing homes and aged care facilities in their area.
For example, if a top duo is $200 for an hour long show and the aged care facility could pay $80 to $100 (in a larger city this is, smaller cities may not be able to afford that even) and then they could go to the media (Radio, TV, Newspapers and Magazines) to publish human interest stories to get the sponsors then this would work VERY well.
The local businesses would then be seen by the local people that they are indeed "Seniors Kind" businesses and people LOVE to see and support those who get behind their community.
This is working obviously there where they are and also in Sydney, Australia and the UK where this concept is currently being used.
So if you're a seniors entertainer and wish to "give back" heartily to your local seniors and wonder "HOW on earth you'll get re-imbursed" go to some local businesses in your area who help seniors and ask them to sponsor a show or two, I think you'll be surprised how many will jump on board with this concept.
How Can Nursing Homes Use This Concept to Hire More Seniors Entertainment?
One of the best ways that aged care and day care centers can use this concept is to approach their suppliers, who they already do LOTS of business with and ask about having them sponsor some shows for their most favorite seniors entertainers who visit the facility.
The activities officers might suggest that they don't quite have the budget for a few very good particular entertainers they'd like to come back each month, rather than every 6 months and see if they can offer something in return to sponsor these shows.
For example the money saved on goods from suppliers who might say "ok, we'll give you a discount on your products" could then be transferred to the entrainment budget to cover the better seniors entertainers who get the BEST reactions from your residents and this is a totally a Win-Win for all involved.
Please leave your experience or questions on seniors music below...
No comments yet.