Star Trek Into Darkness Trailer Recruits for the NASA Edition of Starfleet
National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Founded 1958
Crowdfunding Is Helping NASA
Who among us ever suspected that crowdfunding could lead to NASA's ability to build a real-life Starfleet? Happily, it happened in just six days, like the biblical creation of the world!
After just six days of crowdfunding at Indiegogo, financial success was celebrated March 30, 2013 that allowed NASA to begin editing an introductory film trailer for play before the May 2013 release of Star Trek Into Darkness. From there, it will likely become an oft-repeated Public Service Announcement. NASA Commerical Crew partner, Aerospace Industries Association (AIA), acepted the duties of editing and purchase the theater time to run the pre-film trailer.
The NASA PSA We Are The Explorers is recuiting new people to work in Aeospace Exploration projects that together qualify as a real-life Starfleet®. Aimed at today's high schools, colleges, recent graduates, and more, the trailer highlights the glory of discovery in outer space thanks to advancements and studies in STEM disciplines: Sciences, Technologies, Engineering, and Mathematics.
New Jobs In Space
Already showing successes in the work completed by the NASA Commerical Crew of 63 different private aerospace companies (in early 2013), NASA collaborators scheduled themselves to revisit the moon by robot in early 2013 and Mars in the flesh in 2018, as well as to develop several new spacecraft and exiting new modular habitats for other planets and large asteroids. Asteroid mining preparations began in 2011-2012 through the NASA partnership with a company backed by Google, James Cameron, and several other major investors.
Personnel are needed to join the US public and private space exploration program from 2013 - 2023, jobs increasing slowly at first and reaching speed by mid-decade.
The resource video is narrated by Peter Cullen, the voice of Optimus Prime in the Transformers franchise. Mr. Cullen tells about the progress America has and will achieve in outer space.
Watch the longer video from which NASA will claim their 30-second PSA below (2 minutes, 36 seconds). The only thing better might be the opening credits to Enterprise.
We Are The Explorers...
The original 2'36" resource footage shown above and the 30-second PSA for NASA will likely become historic film footage played in the National Museum of the Air Force at Wright Patterson AFB and the Smithsonian Institution's Air and Space Museum in Washington DC as well as in the visitor's center at the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, Florida.
The Film Editors
- Aerospace Industries Association (AIA)
AIA has 159 full member and 220 associate member companies as of January 2013.
- The initial crowdfunding success paid for 50 theaters in major cities. Crowdfunding continued so that as many additional American theaters could be served as possible. As of Easter Sunday, March 31, 2013 the fund was already up to $39,000 and $6,000 beyond the original goal in only about one day.
- In order to track the progress of the crowdfunding for We Are The Explorers, visit http://igg.me/at/adspace and look at the tote board figure in green in the upper right hand corner. Many people have become energized by the prospect of further space exploration and I know that former astronaut, Senator John Glenn, who teaches at The Ohio State University at age 93 is pleased. He has seen nearly the complete history of flight within his lifetime and he's about to see more.
History of Star Trek and NASA
The Star Trek franchise has helped NASA recruit workers before. From the late 1960s to the 1980s, Nicelle Nichols (Uhuru in ST:TOS) actively recruited women and minorites for the NASA astronaut training classes, although non-minority individuals responsed to her and also joined. Additional members of the Enterprise crew worked to recruit astronauts for NASA as well. One of my greatest memories is meeting Nichelle Nichols, who first name is Grace, because she changed the world - see: I Met Grace...
If Star Trek helped NASA succeed once, it can help NASA succeed again, despite government funding cuts to ur national space agency. NASA already began accumulating privately owned aerospace partners before the last US Shuttle launched in 2011 and is apparently ready to go private in the future, if necessary.
Crowdfunding worked so phenomenally well to fund the NASA 30-second PSA, it will be used again. It certainly is a long way from 1958!
NASA and New Astronauts: Star Trek: Into Darkness
- Not a Cliche Review - ST: ID, Star Trek: Into Darkness
PSAs surrounding the markting and presentation of this Star Trek film emphasized recruiting astronauts for NASA.
- NASA's 2013 Astronaut Class Background, Education and Skills
From 2012 - 2013, these four men and four women were recuited and selected for a Mission to Mars. They will first fly to a near-Earth asteroid, followed by a flight to the Red Planet. Godspeed!
"Enterprise" - Faith Of The Heart, sung by Russell Watson
It's Been a Long Time...
The opening credits of TV's Star Trek: Enterprise (2001 - 2005) were my favorite part of each weekly episode.
The Enterprise credits include scenes of the historic vessels that have been named Enterprise on the sea and in the air prior to the timeline of the series.
The only vessel not included is a riverboat named Enterprise - it was featured in the TV series Riverboat, starring Darren McGavin and Burt Reynolds from 1959 - 1961. By a coincidence, composer Alexander Courage (of Star Trek:The Original Series) contributed to the theme song of Riverboat.
Bill Dana as Jose Jimenez
Cutting the Time Needed for Space Travel
- New US-Russian Crew Docks at Space Station in 2013 After Super-Fast Flight (See: Space.com) -- An international crew of astronauts and cosmonauts successfully docked at the International Space Station after completing the first Russian-calculated express trip to the orbiting outpost.
- The time needed for their journey was only six hours, about the time it takes to drive from Central Ohio to Washington DC. This is an astounding step forward in space travel.
Living On Luna
NASA Also Works For the Environment: 2009 - 2015
Hot Jobs In Aerospace and Aviation
- A Review of Aerospace Careers, 2010 - 2030
Space Tourism will become one of the largest Aerospace Industries of the 21st century. Spurred by science fiction, sci-fi fan clubs, the Space Race, and Homer Hickam, jobs in Aerospace are set to expand significantly in the 2010s - 2050.
- Aerospace Jobs in Illinois, Michigan and Ohio
The NASA Commercial Crew of private aerospace corporation was under collection well before July 2011 and the last flight of the final US Space Shuttle. Future plans have opened up many more aerospace jobs in the American Midwest.
- Moon Tourism and Jobs via Google LunarX
Since the 2010s, emerging businesses have promoted a future of space tourism - excitement, discovery, package tours and outer space hotels.
- NASA's Commercial Crew
Space exploration, space mining, and spae tourism include NASA's 63 private areospace company partners.
- Qualifications and Duties Of Astronauts
Engineering degrees in appropriate specialties and engineering technicians will be the backbone of astronaut crews of the near future.
- Spaceports Of North America Are Open
A dozen spaceports operate in North America in 2013, all but one of them in the USA.
- Space Scholarships and NASA's "Stuff" On the Moon
NASA is still strong - NASA issued an edict in 2012 for other explorers to leave their offloaded materials and equipment alone when they reach Luna!
- The Asteroid Mining Race - Google and Company vs Competition
A newer Asteroid Mining Company in 2013 plans to compete with Google-backed Planetary Resources, perhaps on the NASA Commerical Crew as well.
More by this Author
I recommend seeing this film as many times as you can!
In the 50th Anniversary of our original Star Trek, we remember the first ST:TOS convention and celebrate the fans of yesterday. A Galaxy Quest parody is set for TV in the near future -- Good or bad?.
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!