Star Trek: 10 bits of Trivia
For all my fellow Trekkies out there I thought I would compile a few facts from the Star Trek universe to either enlighten others and waste a bit of our time. I have been a fan since watching Star Trek the next generation when I was a teenager. I am not a big fan of the original series but I can watch it without to much trouble.
I think that Deep Space 9 has to be my favourite out of all the incarnations. Purely as it showed that the Federation was not this all conquering force that the other series had previously indicated. There was something more human about this series and showed another side to the Federation. Anyway here are a few pieces of trivia for you.
- Lt-Commander Worf's prosthetic forehead changed in season 2 because the original was stolen.
- DS9 Stars Alexander Siddig (Dr Bashir) and Nana Visitor (Major Kira) were married in real life in 1997.
- The guy who is often in Quark's bar is named "Morn", which is an anagram for "Norm" from Cheers, who was often in the bar. Like Norm, Morn always sat in the same seat at the bar
- Counsellor Deanna Troi was nearly written out of the show after the first season and, in fact, is absent from many of those episodes. But, after both Tasha Yar and Dr. Crusher were written out, Counselor Troi was kept.
- Jonathan Frakes returned to rehearsals at the start of the second season sporting a beard with the intention of shaving it off before the shooting began. The producers liked it and asked him to keep it, It remained for the rest of the series run. (He shaved it off during the movie Star Trek: Insurrection (1998).
- Martin Sheen was considered for the role of Sloan, the Section 31 operative.
- Jeffrey Combs auditioned and failed to get the role of William T. Riker, but later went on to play roles in "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993), "Star Trek: Voyager" (1995) and "Star Trek: Enterprise" (2001).
- The Ferengi were originally introduced with the intention of making them the main Villains in Star Trek :TNG. But audience did not see their appeal!
- Patrick Stewart was so convinced that the show would fail that for the first six weeks of shooting he refused to unpack any of his suitcases.
- Ro Laren was meant to reprise her role in DS9 but MIchelle Forbes did not wish to do the series. Major Kira was created to fill the role.
- Star Wars Mini Figure Collection
During the release of the Star Wars prequel trilogy, you could feel a collective groan from die hard fans of the original series. Gone were the themes of good versus evil, light versus dark, which...
- Startrek versus Starwars
This is deadly serious Forget your football rivalries, forget petty party political differences of are they too left wing? or are their policies too draconion.As a fan of both sci-fi television/movie...
- Star Trek 10 more bits of trivia
I had so much fun doing my first Trek Trivia article i thought i would add another ten fun facts i have found out about this long running series. My wife has been calling me a nerd for doing this but i can't...
More by this Author
The Knight's Templar were the guardians of untold riches gathered from their time protecting the Christian pilgrims. Could their relics have been moved away by the Templar naval fleet at La Rochelle?
Had the combined Greek force not stood at the Hot Gates to draw a line in the sand against the Persian invasion. What would have happened if they did not stand?
The moral code of the Viking warrior, dictated how he behaved on and off the battlefield. A true warrior valued his honour and morals as much as he valued his victory.