Subject: I Love You - The Movie and The Most Dreaded Computer Virus
One the 10 Worst Computer Viruses that destroyed almost 10 billion computers worldwide is the I LOVE YOU VIRUS. It was the thesis project of a Filipino programmer named Onel de Guzman and his group who accidentally (it's still being disputed) released it online as an e-mail attachment. With the subject I Love You on e-mail, everyone was overwhelmed of that three words, especially on Valentine’s day. But the vulnerabilities of the said project made it one of the deadliest viruses that graced the World Wide Web (www) and caught the attention of the Pentagon to hire not put behind bar the perpetrator.
Now, after a decade of that cyber-turmoil, it will be released as a very interesting movie titled: Subject: I Love You. With the name of the Superman incarnate: Dean Cain and a local movie idol Jericho Rosales , Filipino moviegoers will be surprised that most of the scenes of the movie were shot here in the Philippines.
The storyline narrates that the "I Love You" virus was released online by the Filipino computer genius in order to track down his American girlfriend. But it 2002, it became a massive malady to computer networks around the world because it almost paralyzed the online operation of big firms that rely mainly on it.
The shooting was not revealed to the public until the finishing touches of the film which will be shown next month (March 2011). Whew! After two years of long wait, still, we're keeping our fingers crossed just to watch this movie.
I'm still wondering why Onel would hunt his American girlfriend (Butterfly) starring Briana Evigan of Step Up 2 by uploading this attachment that almost ruined the world.
Francis dela Torre's "Subject: I Love You" c/o bakitwhycom
10 Worst Computer Viruses
A computer virus must have a host program in order to run properly or self-replicate.
Computer viruses are just one kind of malware. Other types include spyware and some kinds of adware. Spyware spies on what a user does with his or her computer.
Here are some of the viruses that created havoc to the computerlandia for the past decades.
- Melissa virus - created by David L. Smith on a Microsoft Word macro. It spread through e-mail messages that created havoc to public and private websites. Although, it didn't cripple the internet industry, this virus was the first to caught the public attention. What happened to Mr. Smith? After the fine of $5,000, the court forbade him to access computer networks, unless with the court authorization.
- I Love You virus - is a standalone program that can replicate itself without using a host program.The original worm had the file name of LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs. The vbs extension pointed to the language the hacker used to create the worm: Visual Basic Scripting. Onel de Guzman, its creator was charged of theft by the investigating authorities -- at the time the Philippines had no computer espionage or sabotage laws. $10 billion of dollars were wasted due to the damages caused by the virus.
- Klez virus - also a worm (was launched in 2001) and like I love You virus, it can paralyze computer's operation. It can spoof e-mail address and the e-mails can consume the space on your provider. It can even act as virus-removal tool which is just a deception that can turn your computer laptop or desktop into a zombie.
- Code Red & Code Red II- sprang on the summer of 2001. It was found on computers operation on Microsoft 2000 and Microsoft NT. The original Code Red worm initiated a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack on the White House (USA) Microsoft released software patches that addressed the security vulnerability in Windows 2000 and Windows NT. However, the virus was not removed automatically, unless removed by the owner manually.
- Nimda - the backward spelling of admin. Or you can call it skull virus because of the series of skull images that can paralyze computer server and cellular phones. The distributed denial of service (DDoS) of nimda caused computer crashes and dubbed as the fastest self-propagating virus of 2001.
- SQL Slammer or Sapphire - a Web server virus that started its attack on January 2003. It momentarily paralyzed banking system, electronic ticketing on airports. South Korea was partially isolated during that time because of the virus.
- MyDoom - or Novarg is another worm that created a backdoor on the victim's operating system in 2004. It inspired U.S. Senator Chuck Schummer to propose a National Virus Response Center. Peer-to-peer networks are vulnerable to this kind of virus.
- Sasser & Netsky viruses - 17-year old Sven Jaschan of Germany created these two programs. Although undetectable at first, as it attacks the Microsoft Windows vulnerability, the authorities were able to track down the culprit. I never heard of Mac computers being attack by viruses. Only those with Microsoft programs are always on the victims' list.
- Leap-A/Oompa-A - the first on Mac computers in 2006. Although the company produces its own hardware and software, it proved that it can still be hacked. The hacker saw its vulnerability on the iChat messaging.
- Storm Worm - is a Trojan horse program and the biggest threat to all computer users since 2006. Some hackers use the Storm Worm to create a botnet and use it to send spam mail across the Internet.
Recently, I downloaded a free program filling my USB (Universal Serial Bus) drive with these worms (Win32 Storm Worm, etc.). My solution was to re-program it and wipe out all the documents infected by the virus.
More by this Author
Ever watch the movie Leap Year? Well, it was made way back 2010 but it will worth-seeing again this year 2012 or the next leap year to come, every after four years. Romantic films are at loose again.
Indie Film Review in the Philippines is my additional advocacy showcasing the rise of this sector in the entertainment industry. Film recommendations are also featured in order for you to take interest on the products...
It's a scary society. Effects of moral decay are everywhere.How can we live in a society that more than half of the population are committing immoral acts? Find out what are these I'm talking about.