TV Series Review: 'Prison Break' (Season 1).
There's aren't many television series that interest me to the point of wanting to watch them over and over again. Every now and then, I'll come across a series that really grabs me, and has me wanting to tune in on a weekly basis. There was such a series that premiered in 2005 on Fox called 'Prison Break.' I'd seen ads and commercials on Fox hyping this show up heavily. The premise of the show looked promising, so I I decided to see what it was about when the first episode aired on August 29, 2005. Looking back almost seven years now, it's a decision that I'm happy I made.
The television series, "Prison Break", is one of the best television series I've watched during my adult life. I can easily remember setting my then VCR to record the episodes every single Monday back in 2005. I was attending college back then, and found myself at times not studying because of this interesting show. I'm definitely not endorsing passing up studying to watch television, so don't do what I did. In this article I'm going to give a review of season one of this amazing series.
Season one cast of "Prison Break".
Plot and cast of characters.
Season one of Prison Break is centered around the story of two brothers named. Michael Scofield, and Lincoln Burrows. Burrows is on death row at the Fox River Penitentiary for the murder of the Vice President's brother, Terrace Steadman. This is a murder that Burrows didn't commit, and people from higher places and above are doing everything to prove that he did in fact kill Steadman.
Burrow's younger brother, Michael Scofield, is a structural engineer -- who believes that his brother is innocent. Scofield comes up with an elaborate and meticulous plan to get break his older brother out of the prison. Scofield has the blue prints for the prison secretly hidden in a tattoo on his body, and intentionally robs a bank in order to get himself incarcerated at Fox River Penitentiary with his brother.
Burrow's death date is closely approaching, and time is of the essence for both Burrows and Scofield. While within the walls of Fox River, Scofield has to learn to survive himself, and will even need some luck -- along with the help of other inmates to pull off his scheme. On Prison Break, no one is safe, even outside of Fox River Penitentiary. Relatives and close friends of Burrows and Scofield, become targets as well. Season one of Prison Break is full of shocks and surprises. The main characters of season one includes:
- Dominic Purcell as Lincoln Burrows: Older brother of Micheal Scofield, who is wrongfully imprisoned on death row for a murder he didn't committ.
- Wentworth Miller as Micheal Scofield: Structural engineer who helped designed Fox River Penitentiary. Gets himself intentionally incaracared to break out his brother, Lincoln Burrows.
- Robin Tunney as Veronica Donovon: An attorney who is a childhood friend of both Michael Scofield and Lincoln Burrows. She reviews Lincoln's case, and becomes his lawyer.
- Peter Stormare as John Abruzzi: A mob boss and leader of the Chicago mafia. Due to his reputation, he is an important figure at Fox River Penitentiary.
- Amaury Nolasco as Fernando Sucre: Micheal Scofields cellmate, who also becomes a friend and ally of both Burrows and Scofield.
- Marshall Allman as LJ Burrows: The teenage son of Lincoln Burrows, and Micheal Scofield's nephew.
- Wade Williams as Captain Brad Bellick: Captain of Fox River's correctional officers.
- Paul Adelstein as Secret Service Agent Paul Kellerman: An agent of the Secret Service that is working closely with the Vice President to ensure that Burrows is executed.
- Robert Knepper as Theodore "T-Bag" Bagwell: Evil, violent, and psychopath inmate that will do whatever to whoever in order to get what he wants.
- Rockmond Dunbar as Benjamin "C-Note" Franklin: A former soldier in the Army who is desperate to get out of prison, and get to his family.
- Sarah Wayne Callies as Dr. Sara Tancredi: The head doctor at Fox River who develops a growing attraction to Micheal Scofield. She is also the daughter of Governor Frank Tancredi.
Season one of Prison Break had a total of 22 episodes, and concluded on May 15, 2006.
Wentworth Miller as Michael Scofield.
Thoughts on season one.
Season one of Prison Break is honestly my favorite out of the 4 total seasons of the show. Although the story and plot of the show was very unrealistic, all of the actors were top notch in their respective roles. Besides Rockmond Dunbar, I hadn't heard of nor knew much about much the majority of the actors.
After several viewings of the show, I quickly became a fan of both Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell. Wentworth Miller's performance as Michael Scofield was spot on in my opinion. Both actors are convincing at portraying the brothers Scofield and Burrows. Another character of the show that I became a huge fan of was John Abruzzi, who was played by Peter Stormare. Initially I hated the character of Abruzzi, but I came to like him more and more as the season carried on. He was easily one of the best characters on the show.
Stacy Keach, who was listed as recurring character during this season, played the role of Warden Henry Pope. Keach is great in this role, and is easily convincing as playing the fair but firm prison warden. Robert Knepper played the demented Theodore "T-Bag" Bagwell. I never cared for the character of "T-Bag", but Knepper literally stole this role. He really made you hate him. I could go on and on about the cast and the excellent job they done at playing these characters. This show is full of twists, turns, and suspense. The actors and writers did a truly wonderful job.
"Prison Break" is a show that I've told a number of people about, and most of my close friends and family already know how much I liked this show. Therefore, it's no surprise that I'm highly recommending whoever reads this article to watch this series if you haven't already. As I mentioned earlier in this article, I feel that season one was the best season of this series. I'm pretty positive that if you watch the first season and enjoy it, you'll get hooked just as I did. I still watch this season on DVD from time to time. I also own season two of Prison Break, so it's very likely that I will be reviewing that season as well. Again, I highly recommend this show. I hope you enjoyed this review, and thanks for reading.
More by this Author
'Salute Your Shorts' was a popular show that aired on Nickelodeon during the early 90's. This article will highlight the cast, and update on where they are now.
Review of the late 1990's series titled 'Mortal Kombat: Conquest'. The series only lasted one season, but was one of my favorites from the late 1990's.
Legendary group The Temptations have undergone various member changes since the 1960's. However, they're known for their 'Classic Five' lineup. Here, we highlight the group members from this lineup.
No comments yet.