Ten Best World Music Artists
World Music is a catchall phrase for global folk music. It usually refers to non-western, ethnic or indigenous music. Listed below are the ten best world music artists, and some of their albums.
Listening to some of the following music is a great way to expand your musical library, and learn a little culture from some distant lands. Enjoy.
1. Andy Palacio & The Garifuna Collective: Watina. Catchy percussion and a fast, upbeat style emphasized the deep baritone of Andy Palacio.
2. Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba: Sega Blue. The best string picking you may ever hear, from the heart of Africa.
3. Bembeya Jazz National: The Syliphone Years. One of West Africa's best dance bands leaves you inspired to move all night.
4.Caetano Voloso: Cê. A brazilian standard, on par with Bob Dylan, Caetano Voloso still rocks.
5. Dee Dee Bridgewater: Red Earth. Dee Dee Bridgewater is an american, returned to Mali, to create some of the greatest jazz sounds around.
6. Puerto Plata: Mujer de Cabaret. A folk musician from the Dominican Republic, Puerto Plata delivers great acoustic work on this album.
7. Sergio and Odair Assad: Jardim abandonado. These brazilian born boys, infused with arabic blood bring the most beautiful, memorable guitar work of late.
8. Tinariwen: Aman Iman: Water is Life. With more music coming out of Mali, this work stands out as extraordinary.
9. Yousou N'Dour: Rokku Mi Rokka. One of Africa's most popular folk singers, Youssou N'Dour brings an upbeat, lively work that makes you smile.
10. Ali Farka Touré: In the Heart of the Moon. A collaborative effort with Toumani Diabaté, this is one of my all time favorite albums.
More by this Author
While both men and women are responsible for their own piece of a successful relationship, they are each also responsible for the actions they take that can damage an otherwise healthy marriage. Below are the top ten...
Men and women. We both have our strengths and our weaknesses. Together, we are stronger. This list is a satirical look at things men don't do as well as they think they do.
Learn about ten common ways that men destroy marriages.